Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: Next announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Soze wrote:
Ah, 2003, close enough - it sounds like the sort of shit that was popular in the 90s!

I wouldn't say they're particularly 90s sounding, they're hateful electronic stuff and sound quite modern really.

They're not really inappropriate either, as their last album abandoned most of the electro sound and went for more straight metal....it was terrible though, and it's a shame they decided to change their sound so much after the rock press picked up on them, their early nasty electro albums were great but they sound totally different now.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Good news about Orden Ogan. Might watch Watain if I can be arsed staying that late. The other two do nothing for me. At least the power metal fans didn't get completely shafted like usual!

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Decent announcement me thinks even though I'm not really familiar with any of these bands. Like Emperor, Watain have been heavily requested to return and make up for the lack of black metal last year. Also gives a good, heavy alternative to Nightwish on the Sunday night as I'm not too interested in seeing them. I've heard Combichrist's name about but have never got round to checking them out. Should be interesting seems as they are electronic/industrial. Orden Ogan seems a good draw for the power fans. Can't remember if I saw Memoriam last time they played lol. Overall, lots of music for me to check out!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Heard the name before and thought I knew them...

Combichrist are a fifth rate Marilyn Manson tribute act.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:21 pm

At least the announcement mentioned Combichrist occupying an 'early' mainstage slot - hopefully they'll be on early enough that I can ignore them and roll in later.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Three out of four to look forward to isn't bad at all. Combichrist area bit meh though.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:36 pm

I missed Memoriam last time so happy to see them on the bill.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:23 pm

Orden Ogan! Bloodstock needs more of this kind of band.

Happy Watain are back too, missed them last time thanks to that ridiculous clash with Alcest :(

Need to give Memoriam a listen.

Combichrist...oh christ. Why do we always have to have one utterly awful booking like this? Kill II This, Stuck Mojo, King 810 ect there's always one :lol:
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 pm

north sea storm wrote:Also a shame there isnt more power metal.

There's still plenty of bands to be announced.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:37 pm

north sea storm wrote:Also a shame there isnt more power metal.

Count yourself lucky, currently more power than thrash metal bands :eyes:

Gandalf the Red wrote: Combichrist are a fifth rate Marilyn Manson tribute act.

More KMFDM or Rammstein than MM.

Might give Watain a go if only for the stage show, tried the Lawless Darkness album and it's a bit meh

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Nah. Definitely sounds like Marilyn Manson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWCw0blnhN8
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Nah. Definitely sounds like Marilyn Manson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWCw0blnhN8

As I keep saying, Combichrist massively changed their sound on the last album; that song you've cited is from the last album where they became a generic and rather crap metal band.

On all the 6 albums before they were an aggrotech/hard EBM band, similar to Leather Strip, KMFDM, or a much harder and nastier version of The Prodigy, all hard electro and hardly any guitars. They were also massively better when they had this sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPj0CjBdgqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM_8bBM_V_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXWFTvkh0GQ

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:22 am

bloodfiend wrote:On all the 6 albums before they were an aggrotech/hard EBM band, similar to Leather Strip, KMFDM, or a much harder and nastier version of The Prodigy, all hard electro and hardly any guitars. They were also massively better when they had this sound.

I don't want to come across as close minded or with one track taste but why are Bloodstock booking bands that are 'hard electro'? It's a metal festival. I come to see metal bands. I've a very wide taste in music, my next gig is Father John Misty, I'm seeing Bjork next year and one of my favourite recent albums is by St Vincent. But I'd be aghast at any of those being booked for Bloodstock! It's a complete waste of a slot imo.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:04 am

Soze wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:On all the 6 albums before they were an aggrotech/hard EBM band, similar to Leather Strip, KMFDM, or a much harder and nastier version of The Prodigy, all hard electro and hardly any guitars. They were also massively better when they had this sound.

I don't want to come across as close minded or with one track taste but why are Bloodstock booking bands that are 'hard electro'? It's a metal festival. I come to see metal bands. I've a very wide taste in music, my next gig is Father John Misty, I'm seeing Bjork next year and one of my favourite recent albums is by St Vincent. But I'd be aghast at any of those being booked for Bloodstock! It's a complete waste of a slot imo.

Not a fan of Combichrist at all but they do have a crossover appeal with the metal crowd. Know quite a few metallers who seem to be rather excited at the thought of seeing Combichrist at Bloodstock next year. Not saying they're an ideal choice, but not as entirely out of place as some folk seem to be suggesting.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:58 am

Soze wrote:

lol, if only Andy Hall was still here, I remember him having a massive hissy fit a few years ago when someone suggested booking Combichrist in the Wishlist!!!

I agree with you to some extent, although Combichrist have always had quite a big fanbase in the metal community, hence them previously playing festivals like Wacken, Download etc. In addition, Combichrist have recently gone in an all out metal direction with their music in recent years, and hence with their recent output they wouldn't really be out of place at BOA. Unfortunately as I mentioned, their rock/metal output is pretty terrible, and they were far better when they were an aggrotech band.