Next announcement

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Next announcement

Postby Ghost » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Looking at recent setlists Combichrist still play the old stuff, which is nice. Just hope they don't omit those songs at bloodstock.
I see the bad moon arising.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:46 pm

houston4044 wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:Download are announcing tomorrow, probably Metallica, which is sort of a bigger deal than Bloodstock.

Really? That passed me by :o

It seems like they had to postpone the announcement. Two weeks ago Download posted something about an announcement in two weeks, but last week there was a post about waiting a few more days. There's a rumour that Metallica have postponed a summer tour of Europe, so they're probably booking Def Leppard again. Sounds a lot like how Sonisphere did things.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:Download are announcing tomorrow, probably Metallica, which is sort of a bigger deal than Bloodstock.

Really? That passed me by :o

It seems like they had to postpone the announcement. Two weeks ago Download posted something about an announcement in two weeks, but last week there was a post about waiting a few more days. There's a rumour that Metallica have postponed a summer tour of Europe, so they're probably booking Def Leppard again. Sounds a lot like how Sonisphere did things.

Oh, so the usual announcement of an announcement then...yay :rolleyes:

Wonder if it'll end up being the same bands shuffled around as per usual again next year

JD_B3E5
Warrior of Metal

Postby JD_B3E5 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:12 pm

Andy Copping will probably book Five Finger Death Punch (Shitty Pantera tribute act) again :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:27 pm

JD_B3E5 wrote:Five Finger Death Punch (Shitty Pantera tribute act)

To be honest, I'd take FFDP over (post-Cowboys) Pantera any day of the week!
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:29 pm

houston4044 wrote:Count yourself lucky, currently more power than thrash metal bands :eyes:

To be fair, thrash has been massively overrepresented at Bloodstock for many years. If we have a year where it's not quite so thrash heavy, that would be no bad thing.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Tet wrote:To be fair, thrash has been massively overrepresented at Bloodstock for many years. If we have a year where it's not quite so thrash heavy, that would be no bad thing.

Heresy! :lol: Personally I love it :D

Tet wrote:
JD_B3E5 wrote:Five Finger Death Punch (Shitty Pantera tribute act)

To be honest, I'd take FFDP over (post-Cowboys) Pantera any day of the week!

:thud:

Go home Tet, you're drunk :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:19 pm

houston4044 wrote:Heresy! :lol: Personally I love it :D

I too quite like thrash if it's good. But not all of the thrash bands at Bloodstock have fallen into that category, and even if we're only talking about those that do, it's possible to have too much of a good thing.

houston4044 wrote:Go home Tet, you're drunk :lol:

No, I just think that Anselmo is one of the worst frontmen in metal, and that angry shouty Pantera in the later stages of their career were one of the most overrated bands in metal.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:20 am

Tet wrote: To be honest, I'd take FFDP over (post-Cowboys) Pantera any day of the week!

I'd take having root canal work done over Pantera
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:51 am

Tet wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Heresy! :lol: Personally I love it :D

I too quite like thrash if it's good. But not all of the thrash bands at Bloodstock have fallen into that category, and even if we're only talking about those that do, it's possible to have too much of a good thing.

I think they have a decent amount at BOA, if I was offered more I'd jump at it but if they continued at current levels I'm more than happy. On a festival line up it may seem excessive but over the course of a year (so gigs outside of BOA) there isn't all that much, for me, BOA hits that spot perfectly for me.

Tet wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Go home Tet, you're drunk :lol:

No, I just think that Anselmo is one of the worst frontmen in metal, and that angry shouty Pantera in the later stages of their career were one of the most overrated bands in metal.

It's more you're over-rating FFDP than underestimating Pantera. At least Pantera had interesting guitar lines or shook up their formula once in awhile, FFDP are so cookie cutter it's really gotten stale. I say this as a huge Ramones and Motorhead fan but at least they tinkered around with their formulas, FFDP don't even do that (unless you count having different guest appearances)

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Never given FFDP a proper listen before so I can't comment on how they compare to Pantera.

I do.enjoy most of Pantera's work on a very basic background music/occasional basis. I prefer Far Beyond Driven to Vulgar Display of (White) Power.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:53 pm

I've never knowingly listened to FFDP (just the name puts me off), but I loved Pantera up to the point they became popular around Cowboys From Hell.

It was such a drastic change of direction. Listen to the first four albums to see what I mean. And no they weren't Glam. That was just the image at the time, look at photos of Ozzy, KK Downing and even Kerry King from the same era.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Have to agree re Pantera.

Much as I loved CFH or Vulgar Display, their earlier stuff was damn fine. Towards the end it wasn't great at all. I still treasure seeing them in Glasgow on the Reinventing the Steel tour but on album they just weren't the same.

FFDP suck balls compared to Pantera though!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 pm

I can't believe that it's nearly twenty years since I last saw Pantera at that Ozzfest thing. :o
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Pantera are massively overrated. I think they have a few great songs then the rest is 'take it or leave it' at best. Were people obsessed with them before Dimebag got shot?