Camping chairs in the arena megathread

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire

What should be done about camping chairs in the arena?

Ban them
19%
Nothing. They're fine.
62%
I have a cunning plan... See my post below
19%

Total votes: 53

Noodle
I am the Law!

Camping chairs in the arena megathread

Postby Noodle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 pm

It seems chairs are a hot topic of debate, so it seems appropriate to enable discussion without them cluttering the arena of other threads. Here's a new arena to plonk your posts on the matter to rest your opinions on.

Poll included in case it's of any interest to concerned parties.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Camping chairs in the arena megathread

Postby cheesemason » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Just need to restrict them to towards the back of the arena and mark out corridors that people can't put chairs in so you can get through them easily to get to the standing part.

Not rocket science :)

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:23 pm

cheesemason wrote:Just need to restrict them to towards the back of the arena and mark out corridors that people can't put chairs in so you can get through them easily to get to the standing part.

As long as it's actually enforced, I'd go with this over a ban, seems like a sensible compromise.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:38 pm

robin8585 wrote:
cheesemason wrote:Just need to restrict them to towards the back of the arena and mark out corridors that people can't put chairs in so you can get through them easily to get to the standing part.

As long as it's actually enforced, I'd go with this over a ban, seems like a sensible compromise.

So would I.

But in recent years there seems to be fewer security people in the arena, walking around and enforcing things such as idiots standing in tent doorways, smoking in tents, etc.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Third Headliner Possibilities

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Didn't really notice an increase in chairs this year and have never had any problems with them. The only time I encounter them is when I'm moving from the back of the crowd to get a spot in the middle/front for a band and then it's easy enough to weave through them. I've never come across anyone sitting in a chair from the middle of the crowd onwards. I wouldn't suggest banning chairs outright as people may need them. Hell even I'd take my own chair in with me if it didn't mean carrying it round all day, I get knackered from roaming the arena all the day :lol: Getting rid of the funfair sounds like a good idea to me, although that's probably because I've never used it. That way the metal market could be moved further back and allow more space for the jager tent/main stage and chairs.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Chairs at the back is fine, just not all over the arena and heading into the busiest main crowd area/ pit
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Mark the ground with designated areas, leaving corridors for people to walk between, and enforce the fact that people aren't permitted to have chairs outside of those designated areas.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Okay. Name me one festival that has a capacity above 5000 that lets chairs in.

[...]

Download? No.

Yes they do.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm

I should add, though, that realistically the chairs are a minor annoyance rather than a real problem. Are they enough of an issue that something needs to be done about them? I'm not so sure (although I'd personally prefer it if it was).

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:37 pm

It must be lazy Brits then. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 pm

I dunno if the chairs made getting to the disabled platform more difficult or something. I can understand people getting upset about that, and I agree. But chairs in the arena are not a thing I disagree with on principle.

I'm usually lucky and get a Rock Soc membership before they sell out, so I have chairs I can use in the Rock Soc tent if my back starts aching or I just can't be arsed standing any more. If I didn't have that luxury, I'd bring my chair through from the campsite and the haters can hate for all I care.

I'd much rather people use chairs at the back of the crowd, then sit on the floor in the middle of it. I saw more than a few accidents caused because of those knee-high triphazards, especially when it started getting dark. Fortunately copious amounts of booze seems to reduce the risk of injury in these collisions. :lol:
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Tet wrote:Mark the ground with designated areas, leaving corridors for people to walk between, and enforce the fact that people aren't permitted to have chairs outside of those designated areas.

This is basically how I feel about. The biggest hassle I can see is properly policing it, especially as the festival is still looking to increase the number of people on site.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 pm

I wouldn't consider them a big problem really, on a list of issues with BOA it would be near the bottom; It'll also be hard to enforce it and a waste.

The idea of marking the ground has a big flaw in that it will be hard to see once it starts getting busy or if it's coincides with a good viewing spot.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:43 pm

houston4044 wrote:I wouldn't consider them a big problem really, on a list of issues with BOA it would be near the bottom

Agreed. Focusing on reprofiling the entrance to the site should be a priority.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:10 pm

What a ridiculous thing to care about. Especially considering someone sitting on the floor with their legs stretched out takes up more space than someone in a chair!
I see the bad moon arising.