Camping chairs in the arena megathread

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire

What should be done about camping chairs in the arena?

Ban them
19%
Nothing. They're fine.
62%
I have a cunning plan... See my post below
19%

Total votes: 53

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Re: Camping chairs in the arena megathread

Postby slayerslays » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 pm

Ridiculous- loads of people at BOA are getting on in life and cannot stand up all day long. There were people sitting in chairs who were using walking sticks. The chairs are at the back mainly. I for one will NOT attend if the chairs are banned. Also if you want to attract youngsters, instead of banning chairs just put Bring me the Horizon on or some other teeny-bopper shyte

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:40 am

slayerslays wrote:just put Bring me the Horizon on

Don't even suggest it. :hurl:

Ghost wrote:Ha ha yes we are all going chain our chairs together and form a barrier. Then slowly creep forward and crush the standing tribe against the stage. We will then start a fire to signal to our fellow nationwide chair brothers that the bloodstock standing tribe has been defeated.

This made me laugh more than I should have. :lol:

VizardAmata wrote:I'd rather they not allow kids young enough to be in sodding pushchairs first.

People taking young children to festivals has always troubled me, particularly when I see small children near the front. This year, during Testament, a man on the barrier in the middle had a very young girl in front of him - during one of the more lively bands of the weekend. She had to spend the entire set ducked below the height of the barrier because there were so many crowdsurfers. The man she was with, I assume her father, was constantly getting crowdsurfers coming over him and eventually he got security to lift her out. The guy was a total moron though. It strikes me as exceptionally irresponsible to take a small child into that sort of crowd and I think security should have taken the girl out earlier. I've always thought that if you can't look after yourself at the front of a Metal show then you have no right to be there, whatever your age.

MadManiac
Warrior of Metal

Postby MadManiac » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:39 am

Yes i agree... I saw kids as young as two months old without hear defenders on. A kid or baby is oblivious at that age is to know what is going on around them so why bring them. Some people need parenting skills or just don't deserve kids.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:46 am

Yeah I mean, bringing a kid that is actually old enough to remember it and enjoy it - have at it. But a baby or toddler in a pushchair? No. A that's lazy parenting and B, a pushchair in a heavy crowd is way more of a nuisance that someone on a camping chair.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:11 am

Saw a guy go in the circle pit with a kid on his shoulders, think it was during Municipal Waste :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Well I spent five pounds on a chair purely for bloodstocks. So if bloodstock decide to ban then I will expect them to donate five pounds to a charity of my choice. Which is DACA..... (Discrimination Against Chairs Association). They are hoping to set up Chairline which any vulnerable chair can ring if it feels unfairly persecuted.
I see the bad moon arising.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:45 pm

slayerslays wrote:Ridiculous- loads of people at BOA are getting on in life and cannot stand up all day long. There were people sitting in chairs who were using walking sticks. The chairs are at the back mainly. I for one will NOT attend if the chairs are banned. Also if you want to attract youngsters, instead of banning chairs just put Bring me the Horizon on or some other teeny-bopper shyte

Yes. And I'm probably older than the vast majority of them. Put it this way. I was born closer to WW2 than 9/11.

As I said in my original post. People that need chairs can have them. Bring a pension book or disabled pass, if needs be. You can tell if someone needs a chair.

Most people with chairs don't need them. Yet they are turning the festival into chair fest.

Hardly very Rock n Roll to sit down when a band's on is it? In fact it's a bit of an insult to the band who are playing.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:11 am

I have various ailments including not so great feet but I have avoided getting a chair so far. I find getting a cuppa at motley brew and a sit down there helps.

Sitting in a chair for a bands set is something I can't bring myself to do

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:01 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
slayerslays wrote:Ridiculous- loads of people at BOA are getting on in life and cannot stand up all day long. There were people sitting in chairs who were using walking sticks. The chairs are at the back mainly. I for one will NOT attend if the chairs are banned. Also if you want to attract youngsters, instead of banning chairs just put Bring me the Horizon on or some other teeny-bopper shyte

Yes. And I'm probably older than the vast majority of them. Put it this way. I was born closer to WW2 than 9/11.

As I said in my original post. People that need chairs can have them. Bring a pension book or disabled pass, if needs be. You can tell if someone needs a chair.

Most people with chairs don't need them. Yet they are turning the festival into chair fest.

Hardly very Rock n Roll to sit down when a band's on is it? In fact it's a bit of an insult to the band who are playing.

So what if they don't need them? So are we to restrict items brought into the arena to only things people actually need? What next? Cameras? Hats? Chairs are a convenience that don't cause other people problems, only the people who can't be arsed to watch where they're going.
I can't believe there's a multi-page discussion on whether or not some people should be able to dictate others' experience of the festival, based on some minor gripe. If that's how we're gonna do things then does the fact that the amount of little kids at the festival irritates the living shit out of me mean that we can start a thread about banning children from the festival?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:23 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:So what if they don't need them? So are we to restrict items brought into the arena to only things people actually need? What next? Cameras? Hats? Chairs are a convenience that don't cause other people problems, only the people who can't be arsed to watch where they're going.
I can't believe there's a multi-page discussion on whether or not some people should be able to dictate others' experience of the festival, based on some minor gripe. If that's how we're gonna do things then does the fact that the amount of little kids at the festival irritates the living shit out of me mean that we can start a thread about banning children from the festival?

Again with the "can't be arsed where you're walking" attitude. :rolleyes:

No, we can't get past the fucking things in the first place because of retards putting thousands of chairs in the middle of a field with no spaces between them. It's like talking to a brick wall. If you all behaved sensibly and had a bit of manners, then we wouldn't even be having this debate.

It's not a "minor gripe", it's getting towards being a major H&S issue. One incident then the license could even be revoked. Having been present at two disasters involving crowds that have resulted in deaths then I don't particularly want to be involved in another one.

Cameras should be banned anyway. They are in the list of restricted items.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:28 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I can't believe there's a multi-page discussion on whether or not some people should be able to dictate others' experience of the festival, based on some minor gripe. If that's how we're gonna do things then does the fact that the amount of little kids at the festival irritates the living shit out of me mean that we can start a thread about banning children from the festival?

My original post explains why this thread exists.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:52 pm

dont really see it as a big issue. The chairs are annoying but iv never really had any major problem navigating my way through them.

If anything id say just stick a sign up saying no chairs beyond the sound desk so people who stay in arena all day can have a sit down between bands whilst limiting disruption to the actual crowd.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:So what if they don't need them? So are we to restrict items brought into the arena to only things people actually need? What next? Cameras? Hats? Chairs are a convenience that don't cause other people problems, only the people who can't be arsed to watch where they're going.

Again with the "can't be arsed where you're walking" attitude. :rolleyes:

No, we can't get past the fucking things in the first place because of retards putting thousands of chairs in the middle of a field with no spaces between them. It's like talking to a brick wall. If you all behaved sensibly and had a bit of manners, then we wouldn't even be having this debate.

It's not a "minor gripe", it's getting towards being a major H&S issue. One incident then the license could even be revoked. Having been present at two disasters involving crowds that have resulted in deaths then I don't particularly want to be involved in another one.

Cameras should be banned anyway. They are in the list of restricted items.

Again with the "I don't like something so everyone has to experience the festival on my terms" attitude :rolleyes: When this originally started, H&S wasn't even part of the issue, it was people who were annoyed at chairs getting in their way having a moan and it's unfortunately escalated to this ridiculous point.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:11 pm

I brought the H&S aspect to the argument. Despite the extreme example I offered I still think it holds water and should be considered beyond having a bit of a moan.

Either way I am happy for this thread to remain rather than having 3 pages of it pissing all over excited discussions over the third headliner possibilities.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Noodle wrote:I brought the H&S aspect to the argument. Despite the extreme example I offered I still think it holds water and should be considered beyond having a bit of a moan.

Either way I am happy for this thread to remain rather than having 3 pages of it pissing all over excited discussions over the third headliner possibilities.

Yes, you did, but not any of the original people who were moaning about it. And if the organisers considered there to be an actual H&S issue which meant that chairs were not permitted beyond a certain point in the arena then I would disagree but at least that would not ruin the festival for people who wanted to bring them in. I still maintain that to call for them to be banned outright is a massive overreaction and is actually rather selfish.