Camping chairs in the arena megathread

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire

What should be done about camping chairs in the arena?

Ban them
19%
Nothing. They're fine.
62%
I have a cunning plan... See my post below
19%

Total votes: 53

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Camping chairs in the arena megathread

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:38 pm

I think I mentioned H&S in my first post on the matter. Which was about them wanting to increase capacity by 5000.

It's only became an issue in the last two or three years. Hardly anybody brought chairs and then suddenly they are everywhere. Funny that nobody needed them five years ago and it's mainly the youngsters that are using them. They sit down for a bit, then run to the front when the band they want to watch is on. Then go back to their seat.

I take it you don't attend any other festivals? None of which have chairs all over the place. In fact, at most festivals they are quite rightly banned.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote: it's mainly the youngsters that are using them. They sit down for a bit, then run to the front when the band they want to watch is on. Then go back to their seat.

Okay, on this point specifically - so what if they do? I really don't see why you find that such a problem? Other than the already-stated, somewhat spurious H&S points which I really don't see.

As for other festivals, as I said, last time I was at Download, camping chairs were allowed in the arena - I saw plenty of them. As for the European festivals I've attended (Hellfest, Graspop, Rockfest Barcelona), you're right - I don't see any camping chairs there (I'm not aware of an outright ban but I'll take your word for it) but at those festivals, a) the weather is far more reliable meaning that sitting on the ground is much easier and b) those festivals have a LOT more available seating within the arena, around the bars/food stalls areas. If Bloodstock were to ban chairs, then I would expect them to compensate for this by putting much more seating around the bar & 'non-stage' areas

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Maybe because they are taking up too much room, no one can get past them and they are a hazard?

As we said in the first place they could limit them to a specific area. Then if they don't stay there, then a ban should be enforced. If they want to sit down, then they can easily go back to the campsite. It's only a couple of minutes away (or a lot longer if you need to negotiate chairs).
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Aerosol_Kid
Consort of the Beast

Postby Aerosol_Kid » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:21 pm

x2 on everything Gandalf has said in this thread. The chairs are a fucking menace, and it's getting worse, they're used like towels on sun loungers to guarantee a spot.
skull-wart wrote:Yes! Thor! Clearly the best (and most muscular and handsome) man I've ever seen at everything! I would love to see him headline every day, on every stage. At every festival and gig in this country and all of the others too.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Hardly very Rock n Roll to sit down when a band's on is it? In fact it's a bit of an insult to the band who are playing.

Fair point but can I just say I was more than happy to sit down during the King810 set :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:28 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I can't believe there's a multi-page discussion on whether or not some people should be able to dictate others' experience of the festival, based on some minor gripe.

This is the best thread this forum's had in years. :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:32 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote: it's mainly the youngsters that are using them. They sit down for a bit, then run to the front when the band they want to watch is on. Then go back to their seat.

Okay, on this point specifically - so what if they do? I really don't see why you find that such a problem? Other than the already-stated, somewhat spurious H&S points which I really don't see.

To be fair to my sexy little Gandalf the context of this thread was the apparent plan to up the capacity. That's when this sort of behaviour would be a problem not now. People should be made to carry chairs on their shoulders when they stand up like I did. Then they can all get hunchbacks after like me. :lol:

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:As I said in my original post. People that need chairs can have them. Bring a pension book or disabled pass, if needs be. You can tell if someone needs a chair.

Just by looking at them? Special skill you have there.

Hardly very Rock n Roll to sit down when a band's on is it? In fact it's a bit of an insult to the band who are playing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :o
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:48 pm

fluffkitten wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:As I said in my original post. People that need chairs can have them. Bring a pension book or disabled pass, if needs be. You can tell if someone needs a chair.

Just by looking at them? Special skill you have there.

Yep, must be the same special skill all those DWP "assessors" possess.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's only became an issue in the last two or three years. Hardly anybody brought chairs and then suddenly they are everywhere. Funny that nobody needed them five years ago and it's mainly the youngsters that are using them. They sit down for a bit, then run to the front when the band they want to watch is on. Then go back to their seat.

I honestly can't see that. The chairs have been there ever since the festival moved outdoors, and I while there might have been a slight increase in recent years, I don't think it's particularly significant. I also don't think (from observation) that it's mainly the younger generation that are using them.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm going to bring a reclining armchair into the arena next year, If I'm going to commit the cardinal sin of bringing a chair into the arena then I'm going to make sure I'm bloody comfortable dammit :lol:

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 pm

I'll raise you a sofa.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I'll raise you a sofa.

No leather though please because it'll get all sticky in the heat.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm a vegetarian so I avoid leather.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:01 am

Black Wizard wrote:I'm a vegetarian so I avoid leather.

You're supposed to sit on sofas, not eat them :P