Camping chairs in the arena megathread

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire

What should be done about camping chairs in the arena?

Ban them
19%
Nothing. They're fine.
62%
I have a cunning plan... See my post below
19%

Total votes: 53

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Camping chairs in the arena megathread

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:02 pm

bhuggins wrote:I use a camping chair because I'm disabled and can't stand for a long time. If they were banned then the disabled seating area would have to be a hell of a lot bigger than it is now restricting the area available for standing. So to all you chair haters - did you realise that you are asking for BOA to directly discriminate against the disabled fans? Thought not.

I don't think anyone has advocated discriminating against disabled people.

But almost everyone can see that the chair issue has become a major problem over the last few years. If that means a larger disabled area (including better facilities) then I'm all for it as long as chairs are banned from most other areas.

And better stewarding as well so that idiots putting chairs up in access areas such as entrances to tents are moved.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Not this bollox again. Firstly, it's not "almost everyone", I think what you mean is "me and people who agree with me".

Nobody I was with last year said a word about finding chairs in the arena a problem.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:47 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Not this bollox again. Firstly, it's not "almost everyone", I think what you mean is "me and people who agree with me".

Nobody I was with last year said a word about finding chairs in the arena a problem.

I may mean me and people who agree with me, but that's including people with qualifications in event security and Health And Safety. In other words people who know what the fuck they are talking about.

Do you really think this isn't discussed at the event licensing? I know for a fact it is. It's a known problem.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Am sure it is discussed, but it doesn't mean that there's such a problem that their use needs to be restricted.

My main issue is, as I've said before, isn't the potential for chairs to be restricted in the main arena so that they're not placed within a certain distance of the stage (or at the entrance to tents) - I actually wouldn't be too fussed about that, it's that you seem to be proposing a situation where the only people who can bring them into the festival are people who are actually registered disabled which is fucking ridiculous as there are plenty of people with mobility issues who wouldn't be classed as disabled (for a number of reasons, but the obvious one is that they may have an undiagnosed problem) but would be impacted greatly if they couldn't bring a chair into the arena.

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:02 pm

it's only a problem for people who get wankered. But far more of a problem for people who needs the chairs and to BOA's income if they lose those customers. People who spend all day in the arena; instead of returning to their tent for a rest; make more money for the festival too.

Any insurance claim would be considerably reduced as a result of the intoxication of the person who fell, which any reasonable insurer is fully aware of and would insist on the appropriate reports enabling them to decline the claim, and rightly so. Download, BOA and Ramblin Man all allow chairs, so it can't be that much of an issue for them.

We all know you don't like chairs (you chunter these days as much as Andy Hall ever did), but you really need to get over yourself and consider other peoples' needs rather than your own.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:24 am

Just noticed this on the event info page, can't see it being popular although I imagine it'll end up like their no gazebos in the camp site rule which everyone just ignores anyway :lol:

Camping Chairs In The Arena

Due to the arena capacity, please be aware that camping chairs will not be allowed at the front of the RJD stage after 5pm each day. Anyone using a camping chair after this time will be asked to move.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Wonder how far back they define as "the front"?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:18 pm

And yet I'm accused of talking bollocks.....

I know more about what happens at this festival than the vast majority of you put together.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:And yet I'm accused of talking bollocks.....

I know more about what happens at this festival than the vast majority of you put together.

Don't pat yourself on the back too much - this measure is still a far cry from some of the stuff you've suggested in relation to camping chairs. Even the majority of people who bring chairs in every day wouldn't moan at not being allowed to dump them right in front of the main stage.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:51 pm

bhuggins wrote:I use a camping chair because I'm disabled and can't stand for a long time. If they were banned then the disabled seating area would have to be a hell of a lot bigger than it is now restricting the area available for standing. So to all you chair haters - did you realise that you are asking for BOA to directly discriminate against the disabled fans? Thought not.

Whew that's a strong accusation to level at the Union Against Camping Chairs (Where's that Moonburp "Massive Generalisations" pic?).

There's a decent amount of seating at the beer tent where you can still hear the main stage *and* see the screens at the side, where folks are quite likely to offer you a space if you ask and explain why you need a seat. If you're quick enough to become a member of Rock Society when they go on sale (there are 250 memberships available per year) you will also have access to seating in the Rock Society tent with good conversation and view of the main stage. There also seems to be a decent amount of space on the disabled platforms for the tent stages too.

Happily though, you'll still be able to take your chair in, so this is essentially a load of fuss over very little. Bloodstock has clearly noticed there's a discussion and offered a compromise. We'll see how well it works.

There's probably not a lot of mileage left in this thread so I'll leave it open for a few more days, and then that'll hopefully be the end of it until after BOA 2018, where I'm sure a new thread will be started to debate it all over again.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I guess the only thing that's left undecided / unknown is how far back they are defining as 'the front'?

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:32 pm

And That's All She Wrote. Thanks for participating in the debate. If there is a new hugely pressing issue on this subject that you think deserves further discussion, shoot me a PM and we'll consider whether it's worth reopening this thread.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.