Sophie stage post-band entertainment feedback

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Beardy
I am the Law!

Sophie stage post-band entertainment feedback

Postby Beardy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:31 pm

By request of Lisa, any feedback about the post-band entertainment in the Sophie stage from this year please as it's currently being discussed in the post-fest meetings between the team.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Re: Sophie stage post-band entertainment feedback

Postby VizardAmata » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:47 am

Please just bin the 4DJs and get someone else to do it.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:13 am

Bin the 4DJs and get bands in there. If that's not possible due to sound restrictions, then get some DJs who play songs from the 100+ bands that are playing the festival all night, or just SOMETHING more relevant than Pantera's Walk.

Or if the 4DJs are going to stay, use the new blood stage to have an alternative extreme metal DJ, have some comedians, a Q&A session/talk by a musician/album artist/record label/magazine spokesman, or show horror films. Again just something other than the predictably dull 4DJs

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38 am

Another call to boot the 4DJs, I have no interest in attending every mediocre metal clubnight ever but in a tent. I've always thought that after-hours is where the standup comedy belongs, rather than sitting kind of awkwardly in the New Blood slightly overlapping the headliners. I've not considered movies before, but I quite like the idea of having some schlocky b-movie horror now it's been mentioned.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:43 am

Although I suppose that works better for brutal assualt because it's in a specific seated area.

Could also do a masters of rock and have music DVDs on in there.

Shift a few benches in after comedians finish. Black metal tent is my pick though

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:13 pm

For all the complaints about 4DJOTA, I think they've done a reasonable job when I've been in there. It's not perfect, but having done it myself, I know just how hard it can be to please a live crowd as a DJ. FWIW, I haven't heard them play "Walk" for several years (admittedly, I haven't spent a huge amount of time in the Sophie tent after hours either).
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm

I don't think they are too bad either - the festival has got to the point where it would be weird to have any kind of underground music on after the bands we have now. The comedians being on would be great though, I'd much rather watch them and they usually clash with someone good as they are. As is, I barely ever bother going into the arena after bands, I'd usually rather stay by my tent anyway, and there's usually more going on in the campsite.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Tet wrote:For all the complaints about 4DJOTA, I think they've done a reasonable job when I've been in there. It's not perfect, but having done it myself, I know just how hard it can be to please a live crowd as a DJ. FWIW, I haven't heard them play "Walk" for several years (admittedly, I haven't spent a huge amount of time in the Sophie tent after hours either).

Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware that they don't have an easy job and I would be hopeless in their position. But I also think it wouldn't be that hard to do a better job than they do.

I do like the suggestions of the comedians, though. That's a pretty good shout. I like the horror films idea, but that might not be worth the hassle of licensing etc.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Having only spent the weekend at Bloodstock once (this year), even I can safely say that I'd be happy to see the back of the 4 DJs. At least don't have them on every night. The Pyrohex thing isn't great either.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Basically, it's the same thing every year. With maybe a few songs released that year and a few bands playing that year if you're lucky.

Pyrohex is very meh.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Following on from the others...

....It's probably not the DJ's themselves....

.... just that they only seem to know about two songs.

In other words GET RID and get someone else.

Keep the Pyro Girls. But only on the first night. :flame:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 am

Back in 2007 the Sophie stage was called the Lava stage and only had bands on in the evening (interestingly including Beholder). During the day there was DJ music provided by the 4DJOTA. What they actually played was a vast range of metal, not just what you'll hear them play now. These guys know their shit. Back then though they were playing just to anyone who wanted a drink from the bar. In other words they didn't have to please a great number of people at the same time or the freedom to satisfy someone's niche music request. Shitting on them now for trying to create more hype and keep people at the late night bar is a little unfair. It's not what I enjoy listening to all night so I go and be blind drunk elsewhere, but for maybe a couple of hundred people it's enough to hear their favourites.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:26 pm

I didn't know all that Noodle, my first year was 2010. But I think they need to at least try to find someone else to do the DJing. With all the improvements elsewhere, it's a bit embarrassing that they still have the same guys with the same tired playlist.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:49 am

Perhaps the 4DJs don't need to be on every night though? Some variety in the late night entertainment would be nice.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:38 am

I'll admit, I mor or less gave up on post-band entertainment a few years ago. Did they already do away with those idiots who fire staple guns into each other and whatnot? If not, they should get rid of those guys.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson