Sophie stage post-band entertainment feedback

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: Sophie stage post-band entertainment feedback

Postby Soze » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:50 am

I'm old and knackered and generally ready for bed by midnight at a festival...so if anything were to tempt me it would probably be some enormous chill out tent with a gigantic bean bag in it which everyone could lounge around on listening to ambient or folk music, drinking tea and eating muffins.

Comedians I'm not sure if I could be bothered with that late, when I'm probably drunk and tired. The DJs, having been one in the past I have enormous sympathy with them, it's not so easy to drop the same old same old because that's what people keep asking for and what keeps the floor busy.

More music? Would be great but I suspect they're not allowed, otherwise they'd just put another band on after the headliner, such as Wacken and Hellfest do (it would be great to see Wolves in the Throne Room on the mainstage at midnight).
Last edited by Soze on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:34 pm

UK sound laws are shit, so that won't happen. :(

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Technical issues aside, I liked the karaoke. I wouldn't want it for much longer than we had it, but it was fun.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:05 am

Just my $0.02

I really enjoyed the silent disco in Sophie last year. A nice slice of 80s/90s chese was awesome to dance around to with my new camping buddies.

As for Sophie, I quite enjoyed the ladies doing the pyrotechnic show. Personally I'm all music'd out by the end of the night, so that was a welcome change. So probably more stuff like that! That said I would rather that there be a little of that, as in if you have to pay acts to do something when they do it well, rather than cheap out and get loads of stuff which is mediocre.

Maybe a Circus of Horrors spot could be a giggle?

As for the 4 DJs, I've never really had an issue with them. If I don't like it, I'll go to bed

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Tet wrote:For all the complaints about 4DJOTA, I think they've done a reasonable job when I've been in there. It's not perfect, but having done it myself, I know just how hard it can be to please a live crowd as a DJ.

No, they're absolute dogshit. I regularly DJ sizeable venues, and I can safely say DJing is a piece of piss.

You just have to engage with the crowd, and know what they want to hear, they don't do that all and just play the same old shit every year that everyone keeps telling them they're bored of. They even came on this forum sometimes to try to listen to us, we told them we wanted changes, yet still it remained the same.

So yes changes:
- Get rid of the 4DJs once and for all, and bring in DJs who will actually play what the festivals goers want in the evening, i.e. not the Pantera back catalogue with The Final Countdown and The Book Of Heavy Metal wedged in.
- get rid of the fire girls, they're a talentless waste of money and not everyone going to the festival is a sexually frustrated 17 year old who needs something to wank over.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 pm

bloodfiend wrote:You just have to engage with the crowd, and know what they want to hear, they don't do that all and just play the same old shit every year that everyone keeps telling them they're bored of. They even came on this forum sometimes to try to listen to us, we told them we wanted changes, yet still it remained the same.

Yeah, I remember that thread. It was basically them going "la la la I can't hear you!" to our complaints. They even denied repeating songs, when there's loads of us in the thread going erm... we've heard you doing it.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Keep the sophie stage as a club night, but utilise the NB stage for things more niche.

Maybe one night decidated to extreme metal, one night to doom / sludge / stoner / heavy psych, and one quite different - like dark/chilled ambient or something?

Melodic metal / power metal etc would go over better with a more mainstream audience imo, so just ensure the DJs (whomever they are) know to move things in that direction.

GTFCMike
Definitely Not Nu

Postby GTFCMike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:34 am

Given the tent a miss these last two years due to the repetitive nature of what occurs.

How about a variety? A covers band at lower volume? Steve Hughes doing a set on one of the nights. Etc etc.
Come on Bloodstock. You know you want to. Hypocrisy. Sort it, Bloodstock! ;)

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 pm

Get a Pantera tribute band. The place would go wild.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:40 am

I'd be behind a tribute act at lower volume. Its a great idea.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:29 am

Black Wizard wrote:Get a Pantera tribute band. The place would go wild.

More like go to bed.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:02 am

Black Wizard wrote:Get a Pantera tribute band. The place would go wild.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Thrash Bandicoot
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Thrash Bandicoot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 am

Like it or not, most of the more extreme genres are very isolating and would not work in the Sophie tent at all. Keeping DJ's is a great idea, but get someone other than the 4 DJ's Of The Apocalypse. Someone that is going to just play some bog standard heavy metal that can be fun enough to dance to, neutral enough to be background for those that want a beer and chat with their bands and most importantly, doesn't play 30 Pantera songs a night.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Bloodstock should get The Lounge Kittens to do late night on Sophie: Toto cover. There's loads of people of Bloodstock obsessed with Toto, so they'd go down really well, although the serious Metalheads with no sense of humour would hate them.

gregmonsta
Lowly Peon

Postby gregmonsta » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:50 pm

I'll stick my hand up for more variety ... of quality and professional attitude. Pyrohex were a bit of a let-down when I saw them - entertaining enough, but they probably could have done with a chaperone to stop them drinking too much before going on stage imo. Movies, comedians, performance art and DJ's on a non-predictable cyle sounds good.

Fizzling lightbulb - maybe some Q&A/interviews with bands that are performing (and willing to indulge) would be a winner? Or essentially - a celebrity quizz type thing?