Metal 2 the Masses 2018

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: Metal 2 the Masses 2018

Postby Tet » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:I mean, I am totally expecting the 'powerviolence' band to win

I wish I could say you were wrong about that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Incarnadine Coven were losing finalists last year, so well done to them for trying again and getting to the final again
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:42 pm

It looks like hard rock / heavy metal band Pelugion won the Coventry competition.

Our final is next. Here's a short preview I did - it features band descriptions, links to my thoughts on their respective performances in the earlier rounds, and a song each from YouTube:
https://garethjhunt.wordpress.com/2018/ ... and-final/

Leemanruss
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Leemanruss » Thu May 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Looking at the line-up for that Reading final, and I think it's looks pretty interesting!

I mean, I am totally expecting the 'powerviolence' band to win, but there seems to be a nice mix of melodic and heavier stuff, with a bit of prog thrown in.

In other news, I noticed that one of the South West M2M's literally ran a 2 band heat the other night. Deary me.

The Saltash one? Its a fucking joke haha. There are simply not enough bands down here to warrant a separate M2TM competition, as there is also one in Bridgwater at a better venue and on the M5 which Devon-based bands would prefer to enter into
Atmosfest: '17 '18
BOA: '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18
Damnation: '11 '13 '16 '17
Download: '06
HammerFest: '09 '17
Hellfest: '17
HRH Vikings: '18
PMQF: '17 '18
Ragnarok: '18
Wacken: '17
Wacken Winter Nights: '19
Warhorns: '16 '17 '18

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:29 am

Leemanruss wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Looking at the line-up for that Reading final, and I think it's looks pretty interesting!

I mean, I am totally expecting the 'powerviolence' band to win, but there seems to be a nice mix of melodic and heavier stuff, with a bit of prog thrown in.

In other news, I noticed that one of the South West M2M's literally ran a 2 band heat the other night. Deary me.

The Saltash one? Its a fucking joke haha. There are simply not enough bands down here to warrant a separate M2TM competition, as there is also one in Bridgwater at a better venue and on the M5 which Devon-based bands would prefer to enter into

Yeah, that sounds right. How many bands in total have they had enter?

EDIT: Looked it up - my word it's insane. 6 first round heats, 3 bands per night (if they all show). 6x winners to the Semis. There's then 2 'Second Place' Heats between all the Runners Up. The winner from each also progresses. Then, 2 Semis of 4. I'm assuming top 2 from each go to the final.

I can only assume they are running it this way because the fee to host the franchise isn't cheap and they are trying to make enough money to pay for it.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:42 am

In other news, it's our Final tonight, and I can't wait! I've ended up helping out a lot more this year, and it feels like it's all culminating here. :)

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:32 am

Symphonic metal fans rejoice, Aonia won the Sheffield tournament :)

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Eight first round heats, three quarter-finals and four semi-finals finally led us to this – the Grand Final of the Sheffield Metal 2 the Masses competition 2018.

The King is Dead
https://www.facebook.com/thekingisdeaduk/

2nd | Round 1, Heat 1
Bye | Quarter-Final 2 (event cancelled, all bands progressed to Semi-Finals)
1st | Semi-Final 4

Kicking off this year’s final were Leeds / Sheffield five piece The King is Dead.

Being first on can be a double-edged sword, but these guys came out swinging. Tight, high energy riffery was a staple of their set, and they certainly set the standard for the bands that followed. I really dig TKID’s general sound, which evokes garage rock, punk rock and alternative rock / metal, without really falling into any of those categories.

Stand out song: Papa Lazzaroach

This State of Ours
https://www.facebook.com/thisstateofours/

4th | Round 1, Heat 2
1st | Quarter-Final 1
1st | Semi-Final 3

Second on were Rotherham based alternative metal five piece This State of Ours.

These guys have come a long way from their first round performance; I don’t know of a band that has improved so much over such a short space of time. They were well supported last night, and deservedly got one of the best reactions of the evening (and the competition). The heavy metal conga was an epic visual too!

Stand out song: Another Light

Sobriquet
https://www.facebook.com/sobriquetband/

1st | Round 1, Heat 7
1st | Semi-Final 1

Next on were one of the returning finalists from last year, post-hardcore/alternative metal quintet Sobriquet.

Some technical gremlins delayed their start a little, and I think it took them a couple of songs to truly settle down and get into their rhythm. That being said, their trio of songs to close (Auto de Fe, Golgotha and a new one) were brilliant – up there with any other trio of songs played last night. I also thought it was ballsy / showed supreme confidence to close with not just a new song, but to have it be its live debut… and that’s before we get into the tricky timing signature. It was the right decision though, as it is monstrously good!

Stand out song: the new one (it seems to have different names depending on who you ask, haha).

Psython
https://www.facebook.com/psythonofficial/

2nd | Round 1, Heat 4
2nd | Quarter-Final 1
2nd | Semi-Final 2 (Wildcard Winners)

Our penultimate band last night were our semi-final wildcard entrants, Psython.

A quality thrash band that’s not afraid to incorporate elements of others genres, these purveyors of ‘Reyt Metal’ have been one of the tightest bands throughout the competition. Smashing through their half hour in no time at all, their high octane shreddery won over a lot of fans, and the band seem generally take aback by the reaction they (rightly) received.

Stand out song: H.A.T.E.

Aonia
https://www.facebook.com/aoniauk/

1st | Round 1, Heat 5
1st | Semi-Final 2

Rounding out the competition bands were symphonic metal veterans Aonia.

Despite being a guitarist down, this was an excellent showing from the six of them. Their set time absolutely flew by as they put on one of the most well rounded and professional sets of the competition this year. There were the odd technical gremlins with one of the mics (I think!) but, for me, it didn’t detract from their quality performance.

Special Guest Headliner:
Ba’al
Providing the soundtrack to the final deliberations were last year’s Sheffield (and overall) winners Ba’al. Recent line-up changes meant that this was a rare instrumental show, featuring tracks from their EP, as well as their latest release, Thy Sorrow.

This was a mesmerising set, one that totally captivated the audience. Tasty riffs littered the set, and they left the crowd baying for more.

My thoughts

Firstly, I am glad that I didn’t have to pick a winner from that group, because the standard of bands on the night was insane!

If you really twisted my arm, I would have said either Psython or Aonia. However, I would have been happy with any of the five bands being chosen, as they all put on sets deserving of victory and each band having a unique selling point.

The result

Massive congratulations to Aonia, who were declared the winners! They will go on to play Bloodstock this year, and have the chance to win a bunch of goodies along the way.

Commiserations to Psython, Sobriquet, This State of Ours and The King is Dead – you all did the region proud and can hold your heads up high. I really hope all four of you enter again next year.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 am

Haldamir319 wrote:

Called it!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue May 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Called it!

Yep. A predictable result.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:05 am

Had a quick look at this week's finals, and which bands have made them (descriptions are their own - not had chance to listen yet).

Fri 11th
Belfast

CURSED SUN - thrash, death, groove
DEATH OF A SALESMAN - hardcore, metal
KETOS - melodic thrash
LOCK HORNS - heavy metal
ORACLE - groove metal
THUNDERWOLF - thrash

Fri 11th
Glasgow

The Colony - rock / metal (listed ffo: Avenged Sevenfold and In Flames)
Dolour-Sludge - stoner / sludge / doom
Ifreann - thrash
Nocturne Wulf - heavy metal (inspired by: Priest, Alter Bridge, Grand Magus, Evile and others)
A Ritual Spirit - heavy rock
Sundrown - metal (literally no other descriptor).

Sat 12th
Dublin

Sectile - progressive metal
Black Dawn Rising - melodic death metal
This Place Hell - "the heavier end of the spectrum"
Element X - hard rock
Creep - rock / grunge / metal
Rouen IRE - "post-whatever"

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri May 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Tet wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Called it!

Yep. A predictable result.

Did you go to the Reading final? I couldn't make it in the end as I was working late. I've seen one of the bands (Freudian Session) a couple of time before though, once in the same venue as M2TM.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:59 am

Looks like Oracle won in Belfast and A Ritual Spirit won in Glasgow.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:05 pm

This Place Hell won the Ireland M2TM.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:55 am

Looks like it's just Carlisle's final this week. Descriptions of the finalists:

Severe Lacerations - Death / Thrash
Solomon - Heavy Rock / Power Metal (not quite sure how that works)
Drudge - Stoner Rock / Stoner Metal / Heavy Metal
Dissident Youth - Metal

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:40 am

Carlisle was won by Drudge. They seem to be a stoner metal / heavy metal hybrid.