Metal 2 the Masses 2018

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Metal 2 the Masses 2018

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:05 am

Milton Keynes - Ashborn
Leicester - Seven Hells

Looks like there are four finals this week: Stoke, Hitchin, Norway and Burnley.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue May 29, 2018 4:20 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
Tet wrote:Yep. A predictable result.

Did you go to the Reading final?

No. I went to one of the semifinals, but I couldn't make the final due to other commitments.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue May 29, 2018 6:18 pm

I haven't been following it but there's just one band left to be announced for the Liverpool one. Final June 23rd. At EBGBs.

Currently it's -

Equinox UK
Antimony
Raised By Wolves
Dead Is Forever (Wales)
+ one more (last heat on the 1st of June)

Apparantly I know people from two of those bands from the pub. But they aren't bands I've seen as they aren't quite my cup of tea.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:12 am

Norwich - CrawlBlind
Stoke - Vulgore
Hitchin - 13
Burnley - Autocracy
Norway - Skybrudd

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Wrexham - Cadence Noir
Saltash - Ethyrfield (King Bison also awarded a spot)

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Wrexham - Cadence Noir

WTF?

Aren't they from Nottingham with a member from Manc? I think this "local" band idea is getting a bit ridiculous if you just end up on one miles away from your location.

I doubt there are many bands from Saltash either.

Funnily enough I went through Wrexham a few hours earlier. I didn't know there was a gig on as I may have attended seeing as Solitary were on.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:01 am

Democratus won Cardiff. Cranial Separation also given a slot.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:11 am

I'd be interested to know how Simon decides which M2TMs to book secondary qualifiers from. Saltash seems a really random one when they have so few bands. I mean, the band might be awesome (we will see!), but it just seems a bit... arbitrary.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am

Haldamir319 wrote:I'd be interested to know how Simon decides which M2TMs to book secondary qualifiers from. Saltash seems a really random one when they have so few bands. I mean, the band might be awesome (we will see!), but it just seems a bit... arbitrary.

I would assume he just does it when he is at a final where the decision on the winner is particularly close but has a cap on how many he can do it on.

chopchomps
Lowly Peon

Postby chopchomps » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Wrexham - Cadence Noir

WTF?

Aren't they from Nottingham with a member from Manc? I think this "local" band idea is getting a bit ridiculous if you just end up on one miles away from your location.

*****I doubt there are many bands from Saltash either*********

Funnily enough I went through Wrexham a few hours earlier. I didn't know there was a gig on as I may have attended seeing as Solitary were on.

mr gandalf, the saltash final was the devon and cornwall final, which if you look at a map is a vast area, saltash is on the border just in cornwall next to plymouth situated across a river in devon,the livewire which hosted the finals, has been working through many early rounds over 4 months to get to a 4 band final,and a lot of hard work,2 bands were given new blood slots by simon , the winners Ethyrfield will be the youngest band to play m2m, were they age 14 to 17, they are from newton abbot in devon, and also as simons special guests "king bison" from plymouth in devon also get a spot,agree what you are saying about the wrexham final though, a band from suffolk tried to the devon and cornwall heats,350 mile plus lol \m/

chopchomps
Lowly Peon

Postby chopchomps » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:I'd be interested to know how Simon decides which M2TMs to book secondary qualifiers from. Saltash seems a really random one when they have so few bands. I mean, the band might be awesome (we will see!), but it just seems a bit... arbitrary.

it took 4 months of rounds , quarter finals and semi finals to get it to a 4 band final,saltash is the devon and cornwall final a huge area with plenty bands,who were eliminated over the 4 months!! and the winners Ethyrfield are amazing the youngest ever winners, the drummer is 14 and looks about 10, they beat a lot of good bands

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:15 pm

For some reason I thought M2M bands had to be 18+. Fair play though.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 am

Haldamir319 wrote:For some reason I thought M2M bands had to be 18+. Fair play though.

I thought the same, but I looked and couldn't find that rule anywhere. Maybe it was the case in previous years and got dropped?

After missing most of this year's heats because of either work or holidays, I finally had my holiday request for the Manchester final on Sunday confirmed. We have:

Def Goldblum - Rap Metal, really very good, would be pretty happy if they won

Barbarian Hermit - Sludge/Stoner, fantastic band, my preferred winner

Dead Retinas - Punk/Hardcore, never seen them

Völniir - Black Metal, my outside pick, would be nice to see a BM band get through for once

Saurr - Alternative Metal, really enjoyed them in the 2017 contest, but they played one of the heats I managed to get to this year and were not so good. Hopefully that was a blip and I'll enjoy them again at this

Chiasmata - Progressive Metal, another I've never seen

We've also got Witch Tripper, After The Abduction (winner a couple of years ago), Battalions and Thuum playing to break up the competitors. Should be a good day.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 am

robin8585 wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:For some reason I thought M2M bands had to be 18+. Fair play though.

I thought the same, but I looked and couldn't find that rule anywhere. Maybe it was the case in previous years and got dropped?

After missing most of this year's heats because of either work or holidays, I finally had my holiday request for the Manchester final on Sunday confirmed. We have:

Def Goldblum - Rap Metal, really very good, would be pretty happy if they won

Barbarian Hermit - Sludge/Stoner, fantastic band, my preferred winner

Dead Retinas - Punk/Hardcore, never seen them

Völniir - Black Metal, my outside pick, would be nice to see a BM band get through for once

Saurr - Alternative Metal, really enjoyed them in the 2017 contest, but they played one of the heats I managed to get to this year and were not so good. Hopefully that was a blip and I'll enjoy them again at this

Chiasmata - Progressive Metal, another I've never seen

We've also got Witch Tripper, After The Abduction (winner a couple of years ago), Battalions and Thuum playing to break up the competitors. Should be a good day.

Yeah, maybe that's the case. I'll speak to our promoter Jake and see if they were briefed on anything like that.

Your final looks really ace! Hope it lives up to the expectations :). I checked out some Chiasmata the other day - seem like a really talented bunch. Could be a bit marmitey in their style though.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:47 am

I don't think there was an age limit. Reaper played the Liverpool one about four years ago and they were all about 14 at the time. There was also that kid guitarist that played the Sophie stage a few years ago who was about 12.

But I think there was some sort of clause/understanding that minors have to be accompanied by adults. In other words if a band with youngsters is playing they need a responsible adult present.