18 Year Old First Festival Alone

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
SamWykes
Lowly Peon

18 Year Old First Festival Alone

Postby SamWykes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi all,
I'm an 18 year old thinking of going to Bloodstock, I've never been to a festival so Bloodstock 2018 would be my first. I do not know a single other metalhead let alone extreme metalhead and I'm a bit of an obsessive so Bloodstock would be a perfect choice for me. Does anyone else have experience going alone? I'm not sure at the moment whether to go as I feel like the vast majority of people are in groups.
Cheers \m/
Wykes

someone else
Denim Demon

Re: 18 Year Old First Festival Alone

Postby someone else » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:30 pm

There's a Facebook group for 'Loners and Newbies' who set up camp together. They don't post much on here so search for that on FB
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 pm

we are a friendly fest, if you don't arrive with mates, you will soon meet loads of like minded folk. Where will you be travelling from? There may be metal heads in your vicinity on here !!

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:14 pm

You will be fine guvnor! I've went to many festivals and gigs alone and you are guaranteed to meet a few like minded people. BOA is arguably the most friendly festival in terms of atmosphere. Plus it is a pretty good lineup this year so I would def recommend buying a ticket!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Just remember how to put your tent up. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X22RVc4awGQ
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:57 am

SamWykes wrote:Hi all,
I'm an 18 year old thinking of going to Bloodstock, I've never been to a festival so Bloodstock 2018 would be my first. I do not know a single other metalhead let alone extreme metalhead and I'm a bit of an obsessive so Bloodstock would be a perfect choice for me. Does anyone else have experience going alone? I'm not sure at the moment whether to go as I feel like the vast majority of people are in groups.
Cheers \m/
Wykes

You would be more than welcome to join us in Camp Loners and Newbies.

If you go into facebook and search for "bloodstock camp loners and newbies" you will find the group page. I first camped with the group in 2015 (my first festival since 2002 Ozzfest) and they are a lovely bunch. We have an age range of 18 to 50+ and camp in Valhalla (next to main entrance).

The admins from the group usually get to the box office entrance early to meet new folk and give out mobile numbers in case folk get lost.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:59 pm

Welcome to Bloodstock mate!

If it's camping buddies you're after then the aforementioned Loners and Newbies Facebook group is absolutely the place to go. They're an awesome bunch with stories and legends to tell and they'll make sure you feel part of the family.

As you arrive you will probably find great conversation as you line up at the main entrance with all your camping gear, and you will most likely bump into them again throughout the weekend.

In terms of what to bring as a festival newbie, there's always a thread nearer the time where people post their packing list, and the Event Info page is very useful as it explains what not to bring and what to expect. Also nearer the time, assuming they do it again, there will be details of food and market stalls, and one or two folks will post their full running orders that you can print off the day before you set off (I always use "Slev's" foldable .pdf).

If you're used to camping but not in a festival setting then you will find it quite different. You will not want to take expensive luxury items and you don't want to leave anything outside your tent. It'll be noisy too with generators and chants, music and general movement. We're civilised but not really. Have fun, bring enough alcohol for all day drinking, money for arena drinking (expect around £4.50 a pint from the bar), merch and arena food if you choose to, listen to security and have a laugh with them and have a great time taking in the atmosphere.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

SamWykes
Lowly Peon

Postby SamWykes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:39 pm

someone else wrote:There's a Facebook group for 'Loners and Newbies' who set up camp together. They don't post much on here so search for that on FB

Thank you! I've checked it out and they have already been extremely welcoming.

SamWykes
Lowly Peon

Postby SamWykes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:40 pm

ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:we are a friendly fest, if you don't arrive with mates, you will soon meet loads of like minded folk. Where will you be travelling from? There may be metal heads in your vicinity on here !!

I'll be catching the coach up from Bournemouth.

SamWykes
Lowly Peon

Postby SamWykes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Just remember how to put your tent up. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X22RVc4awGQ

Speaking as a soon to be legal drinking age male. I have no doubt this is the state I am aiming for \m/

SamWykes
Lowly Peon

Postby SamWykes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks all for the great comments, I'm pretty much sold on going now and very much looking forward to it.

MadManiac
Warrior of Metal

Postby MadManiac » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:01 pm

SamWykes wrote:
ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:we are a friendly fest, if you don't arrive with mates, you will soon meet loads of like minded folk. Where will you be travelling from? There may be metal heads in your vicinity on here !!

I'll be catching the coach up from Bournemouth.

Sorry bud but would that be {down from Bournemouth} We are in the North of England... :D

devilformetalrecords
Lowly Peon

Postby devilformetalrecords » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:16 pm

When i was 16. I went to the V Festival alone. You should go for it and come along!

Late message here but did you get a ticket? :)

The legend of SamWykes will unveil!

Volga2112
Lowly Peon

Postby Volga2112 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:39 pm

I think you should be good, but are you used to camping? Since you're going alone, I'd advise to double check you have everything you'll need, since you won't necessarily find someone to rely on.

I'm telling you this as an utter retard who went to his first festival alone with NO DAMN WATER. I had brought everything, the air mattress, the medicine, the rubber mallet, but NO WATER. I had to make by and trade stuff (my precious Belgian beer) and work for other people (install tents for those who struggled, McGyver broken things, light fires for the less outside-oriented) in exchange for water. As a result, I spent the weekend playing a real life RPG instead of really going to concerts ; so make sure you've packed everything you may need!

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:20 pm

Luckily Bloodstock has plenty of water points around, so you don't need to bring your own. Just some kind of receptacle to store it in.