Festival Announcement Predictions

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Festival Announcement Predictions

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:42 pm

So what's everyone's predictions for announcements (if any) at this years fest? It was mentioned before that there may be something to announce regarding the festival itself, my guess is that they will extend the festival by an extra day so Wednesday to Monday. I think if it was to be the addition of an extra stage they would need a larger location and I'm not sure they're at the stage capacity wise to expand just yet.

As for band announcements, my guess is that we'll get a couple like last year. Possibly Sabaton as the Friday headliner? Are Scorpions a possibility for the Sunday classic headliner? I'm not sure how big/expensive they are.

Leave your predictions below! :D

houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Festival Announcement Predictions

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:50 pm

I wouldn't think they'd announce an extra day yet, I'd think they would make the Thursday a full (or at least use the main stage) day before they move into Wednesday yet; kind of like how Download do the Friday.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:52 pm

I think Sabaton is a pretty solid bet, but then again I thought that this year too. Scorpions would make sense for the ye-olde-metal headliner that they like to have, although I'm not really sure how big they are (as in, I'm not sure if they're too big or not).

I'm also thinking that if Download don't give them a chance as a smaller headliner first, we may have Five Finger Death Punch inflicted on us.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 pm

The only thing I can really think of that'd make sense is moving to somewhere else. Camping will now take up every close field around the festival area. Caravans now going over the road will push VIP parking even further away from VIP camping and there's no scope to expand North or West of the festival area because of the canal.
A new location could open the possibility of later licensing allowing bands to play later or louder mainstage sound as it'll stop bleeding into the Arboretum.

I think you'd need a serious step up in band size on Sophie to justify another stage and that'd push the prices up a lot which would be a big gamble. A double main stage set-up costs a lot more money to create and run but doesn't actually double the number of mainstage bands, would probably go from something like 9 to 15.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:10 pm

I can't see anything major happening to be honest.

They've moved up a level with having "bigger" headlining bands and more camping. I can see them staying at that level for the next five years or so.

It's also worth remembering that the next couple of years are also going to have a degree of uncertainty. It'll be an absolute idiot to start making daft decisions with the onset of Brexit. You expand to a site that holds say 50,000 and nobody turns up? Bye Bye Bloodstock.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:14 pm

You could say that about Catton though, they moved to a 20K site and only had about 6K people. Bloodstock didn't die. You can move to a larger space without spending the money you'd expect to get from 50K tickets, you'd only hire & pay for the space you need and book bands within a similar budget. That was Alt Fest's problem, expecting to sell tens of thousands of tickets with zero reputation.

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Maybe we're gonna get a proper Jager stage rather than canvas sheet?

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:35 pm

robin8585 wrote:I think Sabaton is a pretty solid bet, but then again I thought that this year too. Scorpions would make sense for the ye-olde-metal headliner that they like to have, although I'm not really sure how big they are (as in, I'm not sure if they're too big or not).

I'm absolutely certain that Sabaton will headline 2019 BOA, although I reckon Scorpions are too big and not really Metal either.

Slayer might do one final UK show at BOA if their farewell tour extends into the European festivals next summer, but that won't get announced until December. Other than that I have no idea who might headline BOA 2019. I'd love it to be Bruce Dickinson, but he's almost certainly too busy to ever do more solo shows again. But imagine how it might be announced though: Maiden finish their tour at the O2 on Saturday 11th and then the next day the fat, bald guy who sort of made the Gojira/Nightwish announcement last year says "For next year's headliner announcement, we have someone very special to tell you about it..." then the whole place erupts as Bruce walks on stage.

*wakes up*

So does Wacken make announcements immediately after the festival for the following year?

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Wacken's usually got 5-10 bands announced at the previous year's fest.

Surely it's Sabaton's time to headline. Parkway Drive or Volbeat from this year's DL maybe?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Bruce Dickinson headlining?

Erm. He couldn't even sell out clubs like Bradford Rios or Buckley Tivoli when he had a solo project and supported Lynyrd Skynrd to empty venues, which packed out after he finished.

That was at the peak of his popularity when he was getting on TOTP.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:00 pm

i0th wrote:Wacken's usually got 5-10 bands announced at the previous year's fest.

Surely it's Sabaton's time to headline. Parkway Drive or Volbeat from this year's DL maybe?

Yeah I think Sabaton are nailed on to headline next year. Would love to see Volbeat too but I'm not sure they'd want to give 2 new headliners a go in one year (but then again they did it last year with AA and Ghost).

I really hope there isn't much more expansion though. One of the best things about bloodstock is that it's relatively small, everything is close and there's a great community spirit. If it expands too much and starts attracting more of a mainstream crowd, I feel that could be lost

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I reckon Scorpions are too big and not really Metal either.

This sort of thing makes me mad. Scorpions are a metal band. End of story. Hell, I'd go further than that and say they invented the whole genre. As the saying goes, Sabbath were heavy, but Priest were metal. True enough I'd say, but Scorpions got there a year before Priest.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Tet wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:I reckon Scorpions are too big and not really Metal either.

This sort of thing makes me mad.

Is is really worth getting angry about? :? They're a Hard Rock band IMO.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Scorpions are a heavy metal band - always been synonymous with 80s metal. Just cos metal has incorporated thrash, death etc doesn't stop this any more than it stops Dio or Maiden - theres seemingly no argument with them as they had a reassessment in early 2000s and it's no longer a joke to say you like them - Scorps have never had that so they don't get back into the metal club even if they are dismissed then lots of other heavy metal bands should too..
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Bruce Dickinson headlining?

Erm. He couldn't even sell out clubs like Bradford Rios or Buckley Tivoli when he had a solo project and supported Lynyrd Skynrd to empty venues, which packed out after he finished.

That was at the peak of his popularity when he was getting on TOTP.

As a one off show after over a decade of not touring (and with Maiden/bruce bigger than they were back then) I think demand would be there to do it. I'm biast as I like his solo stuff but would be great if true.

I'm 50/50 if they'll announce a band this year, with JP playing (who are probably the biggest band they could book) anyone else they announce will make 2019 seem smaller in comparison.

i0th wrote:Maybe we're gonna get a proper Jager stage rather than canvas sheet?

That would be welcome, even just a larger p.a. pretty bad that if you're about 5 rows out that you struggle to hear anything