Festival Announcement Predictions

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Festival Announcement Predictions

Postby cheesemason » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 am

And IF Slayer are playing BOA, they wont be announced at the festival as they'll still have tickets to shift for their tour

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 am

bloodofthekings wrote:Sadly, if Manowar are one of the headliners, you can bet your arse that at least one, if not both of the other headliners will be far more on the commercial/mainstream end (e.g. Lamb of God and Slayer in 2013 when King Diamond headlined or Machine Head and Alice Cooper in 2012 when Behemoth headlined)

Sabaton, Machine Head and Manowar would do me nicely tbf.

I'm pretty sure that the announcement Vicky confirmed as happening is a not band related. She said it would be something all fans would be pleased with.

As for bands to be announced at the festival itself, the last I saw, she said that it wasn't decided / finalised whether there could / would be one.
Last edited by Haldamir319 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:27 am

Yeah it won't be Machine Head. Whilst I wouldn't complain too much about Sabaton/Manowar/Slayer, it potentially leaves Bloodstock without a more commercial metal headliner to draw in the casuals, so I could see Sabaton being given a 'special guest' slot underneath Manowar which leaves space for a different headliner.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 am

I have no motivation to see Slayer again, but I'm OK with them headlining BOA 2019 as it'll be their provisional last-ever UK show.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 am

i0th wrote:Sabaton already killed at special guest level in 2015, not lifting them to headliner would be an insult imo. Slayer would be a shit headliner, played twice already since '13.

Slayer were a crap choice of headliner in 2016 but it didn't stop Bloodstock from booking them

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:24 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
i0th wrote:Sabaton already killed at special guest level in 2015, not lifting them to headliner would be an insult imo. Slayer would be a shit headliner, played twice already since '13.

Slayer were a crap choice of headliner in 2016 but it didn't stop Bloodstock from booking them

Really?

A major Heavy Metal band playing a Heavy Metal festival and pulling one of the biggest crowds ever. A band that has sold millions of records without compromising and making "hit" singles. Now winding down and playing a few select gigs.

They are a crap choice? :rolleyes:

Please tell me how wonderful it is having shite like Nightwish and that fat wrestling bloke it is for the festival? And how great it will be to have that Pop group Volbeat on.

There aren't half some idiots on this forum now. No wonder it's dying on it's feet.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:27 am

Who would you like to headline BOA 2019 Gandalf? Bearing in mind that you don't like any of the bands who play at BOA and generally seem to despise the festival.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:42 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:

Really?

A major Heavy Metal band playing a Heavy Metal festival and pulling one of the biggest crowds ever. A band that has sold millions of records without compromising and making "hit" singles. Now winding down and playing a few select gigs.

They are a crap choice? :rolleyes:

Please tell me how wonderful it is having shite like Nightwish and that fat wrestling bloke it is for the festival? And how great it will be to have that Pop group Volbeat on.

There aren't half some idiots on this forum now. No wonder it's dying on it's feet.

Okay, I'll rephrase that - they were a boring choice.

They did pull a decent crowd, I'll give you that, but they're not in a league of their own there and they can't have been the only available band that could have pulled a crowd that size. And I also remember you not being keen on Rob Zombie headlining in 2015 but he pulled a bigger crowd than Slayer did the year after.

As for them being a big band? They were. And still are in terms of legend status but they're way past their best and totally phoned that performance in just like they have been doing for years.

As for Nightwish, they're far more in tune with Bloodstock's history and what made the festival what it is than fucking Slayer are. Nightwish will pull a big crowd and in terms of popularity, stature, size of venues, etc. they are bigger now than they've ever been. And they'll put on a much better show than Slayer are capable of these days. And they may even draw back fans of the festival that were chased away some years ago when their tastes were being ignored in favour of booking shit black and death metal bands that didn't draw any extra people in.

As for Fozzy, they're not in a headliner position so it's not really a comparable situation. They're just there in the middle of the day - some folk will enjoy them and some folk won't but I could say the same thing about the aforementioned black and death metal shit that's been booked in recent years (Suffocation spring to mind but I'm sure if I looked back at previous line-ups I could find a bunch more).

As for Volbeat, I actually agree with you that they would somewhat of a controversial choice, but only because of the very vocal minority of Bloodstock's audience that immediately just dismiss anything that isn't their definition of "metal". In terms of being big enough? Volbeat are easily big enough to fill that 'smaller headliner' slot. If Behemoth did, Volbeat sure as hell can.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:54 am

Slayer, Manowar and Immortal out of what's mentioned would be fantastic.

Sabaton, Five Finger Death Punch and Volbeat and I'll be going abroad yet again.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Like them or not Slayer are 1 of the most iconic bands in metal and Bloodstock would be insane to turn them down for a last summer tour.

Normally id say its to soon to have them again but given the circumstances id love to see Slayer do Bloodstock 1 last time

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Cassius wrote:Like them or not Slayer are 1 of the most iconic bands in metal and Bloodstock would be insane to turn them down for a last summer tour.

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather not see Slayer again but I understand why BOA would want to get them this one last time. Where Slayer play next year might be dependent on what sort of show they want: 90 minute headline set or an hour long set second or third from top (or headlining the second stage) at Download.

Just to throw another potential headliner into the mix: Within Temptation are releasing a new album this year and touring Europe in Autumn/Winter. Obviously they headlined fairly recently in 2015 and from what I have gathered on here their set wasn't all that well attended, perhaps partially due to the undercard being super heavy. That might put them off headlining again, but they could also be touring outside of Europe next year.

However, I would love the BOA 2019 headliners to be Sabaton, Volbeat and Within Temptation just so I can laugh at Gandalf's reaction. :)

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:55 pm

i0th wrote:Surely Within Temptation can't come back. The field was even emptier than for Trivium, it was embarrassing.

I wouldn't quite say that but it wasn't far off, granted. Unfortunately, they were hampered by the bad booking of having a bunch of heavier bands underneath them on to the point where they were pretty much the only melodic band on the main stage that day.

It's not quite the same situation with Nightwish this year when you look at who else is on that day and I'm hoping the fact that Nightwish are bigger than WT means that they won't suffer the same fate as they really don't deserve it.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:12 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
i0th wrote:Surely Within Temptation can't come back. The field was even emptier than for Trivium, it was embarrassing.

I wouldn't quite say that but it wasn't far off, granted. Unfortunately, they were hampered by the bad booking of having a bunch of heavier bands underneath them on to the point where they were pretty much the only melodic band on the main stage that day.

It's not quite the same situation with Nightwish this year when you look at who else is on that day and I'm hoping the fact that Nightwish are bigger than WT means that they won't suffer the same fate as they really don't deserve it.

Looking at the respective line-ups for 2018 and 2015, Nightwish have Evergrey on somewhat earlier in the day but two heavy bands directly before. That's better than Within Temptation's undercard though, which included Napalm Death, Dark Angel, "Death" and Xerath. I guess Korikilpannii (or whatever) were OK but that day would have worked better with Sabaton subheadlining but Opeth have recently stopped being heavy and gone full on melodic so are not a terrible sub for Within Temptation. For this year, if Kamelot were playing on Sunday it would be a far more suitable undercard for Nightwish.

I wasn't at BOA 2015 so I can't comment from experience on their crowd but they might be better received with a more suitable undercard, which is the responsibility of the festival organizers. However, Within Temptation and their people might not want to play at BOA again based on 2015, or BOA might not want to book them again because of poor day ticket sales. I don't think they will do BOA 2019, or even 2020, but they might be in line for it if there's nobody else available.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Thinking about it, wouldn't Manowar be a bigger draw for a headliner as opposed to Slayer? Although it would be Slayer's last appearance they already have a UK tour planned whereas Manowar would be a UK exclusive I'm guessing.

Although if Manowar were one of the headliners, would Sabaton still be a headliner possibility? I can't see BOA having two power metal headliners...

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Sabaton are bigger than Manowar who are a total insignificance in this country.