Festival Announcement Predictions

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Re: Festival Announcement Predictions

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:31 am

I know promoters like to exaggerate but if Vicky and Adam were touting this as an announcement that would make some of the fans really happy, I can't see it being Slayer as they've already headlined twice and it doesn't exactly have much of a 'wow' factor.

I'm actually more inclined to think it will be Manowar. Similar to Priest, Manowar were a band that a large section of the fanbase were constantly asking for and everyone began to believe were out of reach. Now they've finally got Priest, then maybe Manowar isn't so un-achievable after all...

Sadly, if Manowar are one of the headliners, you can bet your arse that at least one, if not both of the other headliners will be far more on the commercial/mainstream end (e.g. Lamb of God and Slayer in 2013 when King Diamond headlined or Machine Head and Alice Cooper in 2012 when Behemoth headlined)

gregors666
Warrior of Metal

Postby gregors666 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:45 am

Slayer are doing there farewell tour in November. Then, that's it according to Kerry King. No one offs, no surprise appearances. He even said that he'll be taking a break then coming back with a new band or something like that.
Im Martin from Grange Over Sands.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:55 am

gregors666 wrote:Slayer are doing there farewell tour in November. Then, that's it according to Kerry King. No one offs, no surprise appearances. He even said that he'll be taking a break then coming back with a new band or something like that.

Then you may wish to take a look at the video from Hellfest last week - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGTf26fdRM

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:19 am

It was pretty obvious Slayer were never really stopping, just an easy way to jack up prices.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 am

I do think Slayer are calling it quits, but that this winter's shows are the last headlining shows, and then they'll do a final festival run in the summer

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 am

And IF Slayer are playing BOA, they wont be announced at the festival as they'll still have tickets to shift for their tour

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 am

bloodofthekings wrote:Sadly, if Manowar are one of the headliners, you can bet your arse that at least one, if not both of the other headliners will be far more on the commercial/mainstream end (e.g. Lamb of God and Slayer in 2013 when King Diamond headlined or Machine Head and Alice Cooper in 2012 when Behemoth headlined)

Sabaton, Machine Head and Manowar would do me nicely tbf.

I'm pretty sure that the announcement Vicky confirmed as happening is a not band related. She said it would be something all fans would be pleased with.

As for bands to be announced at the festival itself, the last I saw, she said that it wasn't decided / finalised whether there could / would be one.
Last edited by Haldamir319 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:23 am

Machine Head don't play festivals, thank fuck.

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:27 am

Yeah it won't be Machine Head. Whilst I wouldn't complain too much about Sabaton/Manowar/Slayer, it potentially leaves Bloodstock without a more commercial metal headliner to draw in the casuals, so I could see Sabaton being given a 'special guest' slot underneath Manowar which leaves space for a different headliner.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 am

I have no motivation to see Slayer again, but I'm OK with them headlining BOA 2019 as it'll be their provisional last-ever UK show.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 am

Sabaton already killed at special guest level in 2015, not lifting them to headliner would be an insult imo. Slayer would be a shit headliner, played twice already since '13.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 am

i0th wrote:Sabaton already killed at special guest level in 2015, not lifting them to headliner would be an insult imo. Slayer would be a shit headliner, played twice already since '13.

Slayer were a crap choice of headliner in 2016 but it didn't stop Bloodstock from booking them

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:24 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
i0th wrote:Sabaton already killed at special guest level in 2015, not lifting them to headliner would be an insult imo. Slayer would be a shit headliner, played twice already since '13.

Slayer were a crap choice of headliner in 2016 but it didn't stop Bloodstock from booking them

Really?

A major Heavy Metal band playing a Heavy Metal festival and pulling one of the biggest crowds ever. A band that has sold millions of records without compromising and making "hit" singles. Now winding down and playing a few select gigs.

They are a crap choice? :rolleyes:

Please tell me how wonderful it is having shite like Nightwish and that fat wrestling bloke it is for the festival? And how great it will be to have that Pop group Volbeat on.

There aren't half some idiots on this forum now. No wonder it's dying on it's feet.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:27 am

Who would you like to headline BOA 2019 Gandalf? Bearing in mind that you don't like any of the bands who play at BOA and generally seem to despise the festival.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:42 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:

Really?

A major Heavy Metal band playing a Heavy Metal festival and pulling one of the biggest crowds ever. A band that has sold millions of records without compromising and making "hit" singles. Now winding down and playing a few select gigs.

They are a crap choice? :rolleyes:

Please tell me how wonderful it is having shite like Nightwish and that fat wrestling bloke it is for the festival? And how great it will be to have that Pop group Volbeat on.

There aren't half some idiots on this forum now. No wonder it's dying on it's feet.

Okay, I'll rephrase that - they were a boring choice.

They did pull a decent crowd, I'll give you that, but they're not in a league of their own there and they can't have been the only available band that could have pulled a crowd that size. And I also remember you not being keen on Rob Zombie headlining in 2015 but he pulled a bigger crowd than Slayer did the year after.

As for them being a big band? They were. And still are in terms of legend status but they're way past their best and totally phoned that performance in just like they have been doing for years.

As for Nightwish, they're far more in tune with Bloodstock's history and what made the festival what it is than fucking Slayer are. Nightwish will pull a big crowd and in terms of popularity, stature, size of venues, etc. they are bigger now than they've ever been. And they'll put on a much better show than Slayer are capable of these days. And they may even draw back fans of the festival that were chased away some years ago when their tastes were being ignored in favour of booking shit black and death metal bands that didn't draw any extra people in.

As for Fozzy, they're not in a headliner position so it's not really a comparable situation. They're just there in the middle of the day - some folk will enjoy them and some folk won't but I could say the same thing about the aforementioned black and death metal shit that's been booked in recent years (Suffocation spring to mind but I'm sure if I looked back at previous line-ups I could find a bunch more).

As for Volbeat, I actually agree with you that they would somewhat of a controversial choice, but only because of the very vocal minority of Bloodstock's audience that immediately just dismiss anything that isn't their definition of "metal". In terms of being big enough? Volbeat are easily big enough to fill that 'smaller headliner' slot. If Behemoth did, Volbeat sure as hell can.