Festival Announcement Predictions

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Festival Announcement Predictions

Postby jwh20 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:54 am

Slayer, Manowar and Immortal out of what's mentioned would be fantastic.

Sabaton, Five Finger Death Punch and Volbeat and I'll be going abroad yet again.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Like them or not Slayer are 1 of the most iconic bands in metal and Bloodstock would be insane to turn them down for a last summer tour.

Normally id say its to soon to have them again but given the circumstances id love to see Slayer do Bloodstock 1 last time

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Cassius wrote:Like them or not Slayer are 1 of the most iconic bands in metal and Bloodstock would be insane to turn them down for a last summer tour.

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather not see Slayer again but I understand why BOA would want to get them this one last time. Where Slayer play next year might be dependent on what sort of show they want: 90 minute headline set or an hour long set second or third from top (or headlining the second stage) at Download.

Just to throw another potential headliner into the mix: Within Temptation are releasing a new album this year and touring Europe in Autumn/Winter. Obviously they headlined fairly recently in 2015 and from what I have gathered on here their set wasn't all that well attended, perhaps partially due to the undercard being super heavy. That might put them off headlining again, but they could also be touring outside of Europe next year.

However, I would love the BOA 2019 headliners to be Sabaton, Volbeat and Within Temptation just so I can laugh at Gandalf's reaction. :)

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Surely Within Temptation can't come back. The field was even emptier than for Trivium, it was embarrassing.

5FDP I'd've thought were too big now tbh.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:55 pm

i0th wrote:Surely Within Temptation can't come back. The field was even emptier than for Trivium, it was embarrassing.

I wouldn't quite say that but it wasn't far off, granted. Unfortunately, they were hampered by the bad booking of having a bunch of heavier bands underneath them on to the point where they were pretty much the only melodic band on the main stage that day.

It's not quite the same situation with Nightwish this year when you look at who else is on that day and I'm hoping the fact that Nightwish are bigger than WT means that they won't suffer the same fate as they really don't deserve it.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:12 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
i0th wrote:Surely Within Temptation can't come back. The field was even emptier than for Trivium, it was embarrassing.

I wouldn't quite say that but it wasn't far off, granted. Unfortunately, they were hampered by the bad booking of having a bunch of heavier bands underneath them on to the point where they were pretty much the only melodic band on the main stage that day.

It's not quite the same situation with Nightwish this year when you look at who else is on that day and I'm hoping the fact that Nightwish are bigger than WT means that they won't suffer the same fate as they really don't deserve it.

Looking at the respective line-ups for 2018 and 2015, Nightwish have Evergrey on somewhat earlier in the day but two heavy bands directly before. That's better than Within Temptation's undercard though, which included Napalm Death, Dark Angel, "Death" and Xerath. I guess Korikilpannii (or whatever) were OK but that day would have worked better with Sabaton subheadlining but Opeth have recently stopped being heavy and gone full on melodic so are not a terrible sub for Within Temptation. For this year, if Kamelot were playing on Sunday it would be a far more suitable undercard for Nightwish.

I wasn't at BOA 2015 so I can't comment from experience on their crowd but they might be better received with a more suitable undercard, which is the responsibility of the festival organizers. However, Within Temptation and their people might not want to play at BOA again based on 2015, or BOA might not want to book them again because of poor day ticket sales. I don't think they will do BOA 2019, or even 2020, but they might be in line for it if there's nobody else available.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Thinking about it, wouldn't Manowar be a bigger draw for a headliner as opposed to Slayer? Although it would be Slayer's last appearance they already have a UK tour planned whereas Manowar would be a UK exclusive I'm guessing.

Although if Manowar were one of the headliners, would Sabaton still be a headliner possibility? I can't see BOA having two power metal headliners...

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Sabaton are bigger than Manowar who are a total insignificance in this country.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Doubt it - Slayer will always be a massive festival draw even if they weren't quitting. I'm not a massive fan of Sabaton but they're filling venues that other headliners play and that Manowar can only dream of but there's a certain curiosity value to them which many other bands don't have - I remember 'Manowar Watch' in Metal Hammer during the nu-metal years, and while it was a pisstake their ludicrousness gave them a profile that other fallen 80s metallers (WASP, Accept, Saxon etc) didn't have at the time.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:18 pm

I'm predicting the biggest news of all:

Next year's Bloodstock dates.

It'll be received warmly but not with roaring excitement.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Noodle wrote:I'm predicting the biggest news of all:

Next year's Bloodstock dates.

It'll be received warmly but not with roaring excitement.

So what dates do you reckon the festival will be moved to?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Within Temptation haven't even sold out their one UK date at the Brixton academy even though it's been on sale for about 7 months now, add that to the sparse attendance at BOA last time and I can't say it looks like a ringing endorsement.

Slayer are Slayer, they will sell tickets regardless and even though I'm seeing them in November I wouldn't be too fussed to see them or not again at BOA. As for Manowar? Why? Novelty value or just so people can tick them off their "to see" lists? (Allegedly) Expensive for what draw they would bring so can't see it happening.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:23 pm

houston4044 wrote:Within Temptation haven't even sold out their one UK date at the Brixton academy even though it's been on sale for about 7 months now, add that to the sparse attendance at BOA last time and I can't say it looks like a ringing endorsement.

Slayer are Slayer, they will sell tickets regardless and even though I'm seeing them in November I wouldn't be too fussed to see them or not again at BOA. As for Manowar? Why? Novelty value or just so people can tick them off their "to see" lists? (Allegedly) Expensive for what draw they would bring so can't see it happening.

Within Temptation have more than one UK date, and to be fair to them their new album won't be out until later in the year so there's been minimal hype around the tour.

I agree that Slayer will always sell tickets regardless though, and you are indeed correct that Slayer are Slayer. Well deduced. :yes:

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Within Temptation were poor in 2015 but the clash in tone with the rest of the undercard that day did them no favours at all. They played to a sparse crowd, but so did Trivium who were utter gash.

I honestly can't see Within Temptation headlining again - SG at best probably (if not lower).
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:13 am

Actually, I could see WT as a special guest down the line. In fact, can we have them sub Sabaton please.