Types of Bands like Mr. Big

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Ceolo
Lowly Peon

Types of Bands like Mr. Big

Postby Ceolo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:57 pm

I don't know many of the bands going, but I was surprised to see a glamish band like Mr. Big on the list, so to save me going through every band one by one, are there any other bands that are in the same sorta genre as Mr. Big playing this year?

RhysyG
Powermetal Child

Re: Types of Bands like Mr. Big

Postby RhysyG » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:50 am

Not that I know of. An 80s hair band at Bloodstock does seem odd, but Mr. Big certainly had some kickass tunes back in the day, and Paul Gilbert is a ridiculous guitarist. It'll be interesting to see what they produce!

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:53 am

The least time consuming method I can think of is to scan through the official announcements posts. There's usually some sort of spiel to give a hint of what to expect. From there you can decide whether to progress to youtube. There may be a few New Blood or Sophie bands that might appeal to you.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Burning_Hammer
Lowly Peon

Postby Burning_Hammer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:30 am

Would never have considered Mr Big glam, but sure.

I think there's a market for having more rock-sounding acts at the festival, but preferably ones that do cross into almost metal territory: Accept, Rose Tattoo and the likes.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:00 am

Closest sounding are probably Fahran, Doomsday Outlaw, Fozzy. But if you like the more melodic stuff you may also enjoy Deity's Muse, Kamelot, Lovebites, Orden Ogan, Vola, Voyager and Monument.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Equinox seem quite classic rock-y. I'd also suggest Ethyrfield maybe.
Last edited by Haldamir319 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dclizardking
Paster of Muppets

Postby dclizardking » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Burning_Hammer wrote:Would never have considered Mr Big glam, but sure.

I think there's a market for having more rock-sounding acts at the festival, but preferably ones that do cross into almost metal territory: Accept, Rose Tattoo and the likes.

Accept are definitely metal for me. I agree though, it would be nice to have more of the straight metal/hard rock bands on the linuep. I've become a bit tired of all the generic extreme bands.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Yeah it is nice to have a bit of variety. I think Mr Big are a good booking because even people who don't necessarily like that softer style of music will be able to appreciate how good they are as musicians. I expect them to get a good reception

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Yeah - every few years there's a band that seems to play all the metal festivals - Europe, Quo, Journey, Thunder, Quireboys have all done the rounds. We've had bands like them before and Eric Martin performed here with Avantasia. I don't think there's a massive difference between Mr Big and say UFO, who I doubt few would have a problem with - both hard rock bands but ones biggest hit us an accoustic ballad and the others is Maidens intro song. Euro fests seem to mix metal and hard rock without triggering some kind of identity crisis.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 am

someone else wrote:Euro fests seem to mix metal and hard rock without triggering some kind of identity crisis.

Shame Bloodstock can't do that without the outburst of butthurt from all the metaller-than-thou folk

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:33 am

Monument, Fire Red Empress, Fozzy, Doomsday Outlaw, Heretic Order, Gemma Fox, Luke Appleton, A Ritual Spirit

They aren't perfect matches but they're more on the rockier side of things and might be of interest to ya

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:26 pm

I'd try Equinox and Fahran. And maybe Voodoo Sioux.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

dclizardking
Paster of Muppets

Postby dclizardking » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:52 pm

someone else wrote:Yeah - every few years there's a band that seems to play all the metal festivals - Europe, Quo, Journey, Thunder, Quireboys have all done the rounds. We've had bands like them before and Eric Martin performed here with Avantasia. I don't think there's a massive difference between Mr Big and say UFO, who I doubt few would have a problem with - both hard rock bands but ones biggest hit us an accoustic ballad and the others is Maidens intro song. Euro fests seem to mix metal and hard rock without triggering some kind of identity crisis.

Europe played a great set as Sunday night headliners in 2009. They went down a treat.

north sea storm
Leather Rebel

Postby north sea storm » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:19 pm

A lot better than cradle of filth did !

Alternative Clothing
Lowly Peon

Postby Alternative Clothing » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Ah have a huge hit with one ballad and people forget they were nominated for an American Music Award for Favorite Heavy Metal/Hard Rock New Artist when they first formed!! Was surprised to see them on the list, but I was sure they'd been booked just for Paul Gilbert's guitar skills (and his drill) and obviously booked for the Sunday for the usually older Nightwish crowd. To me they sounded just as good as when Eric jumped off the stage to sing to me in 1990, they really delivered and glad that BS had booked them as they've just announced another hiatus. As I was running my clothing stall at BS they were the only band I went to see all weekend

(Saw a couple of songs from Priest (seen 'em 4 times and they still are amazing) and Nightwish (watched the whole set the last time they played BS though preferred new singer).)