BOA 2018: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
NE29PHIL
Lowly Peon

Re: BOA 2018: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby NE29PHIL » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm

The good -
Nightwish (I expected to hate them.)
Suicidal Tendancies.
Jasta.
Negative Thought Process.
Drudge.
Watain.
Cannibal Corpse.
Wednesday 13.
Onslaught.
Venom Inc.
Limb.
At The Gates.
Demonic Resurrection.

The bad -
The queue on Thursday. Could another 4 or 5 entry gates could be arranged?
Being woken up by Radio Primordial (or something like that) broadcasting from their tent in the middle of the quiet site, at 6am on Friday.

The ugly -
Midguard looked like it had suffered a nuclear blast by Monday morning. Some people have no shame!
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it!

Lemmy Kilmister

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:40 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:- People moaning about the inclusion of Mr Big and Lovebites on the lineup

Yeah this was pretty annoying. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but there were 2/3 other bands on at the same time as them so surely there'll be something else to watch. In particularly, during Mr Big there was a guy on the barrier who looked absolutely disgusted by them throughout the entire set. You know what they're like, so don't watch them! Can't even say he was waiting at the barrier for the next band as he buggered off as soon as they finished!

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Oh and I almost forgot. What the hell was that The Lost band playing in VIP on Saturday? What a load of old shit. Have they ever actually heard the songs they were trying to play? If it was meant to be a comedy band, then it was about as funny as a nailgun in the face. Seriously, you can't get better entertainment than that? Shit, give me a call, I'll get my lot to do it for free! We can sure as hell actually play those songs at the very least and tight too. I mean that was just insufferably poor! Most people in there were captive audience due the rain. Eventually, I had enough and decided getting drenched was better than putting up with that load of crap! It was so bad, I actually felt like hurting myself.

Dunning
Lowly Peon

Postby Dunning » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Good:

From where I was standing the sound was excellent for every band I saw
A balanced line up. I take the point that Saturday lacked in the melodic side a bit, but taking the weekend as a whole it was very well done
Apart from a couple which were vandalised by dickheads, which you can't reasonably expect any festival to prevent entirely, the toilets were excellent. I was never in one without toilet roll all weekend and the additional blocks by Sophie were a clever way to maximise the available space - I very rarely had to queue either
Conjurer are bloody good. Just book them as headliners already.

Bad:

The length of the queue on the Thursday. Yeah, it's a festival, you expect to queue for a while when you turn up shortly after opening time, but we're at the point now where the festival has gradually crept up from a 10K to 18K capacity over the course of this decade and the size/number of staff at the entrance hasn't increased nearly enough in line with that increase in sales. Three hours it took to get through having arrived just after 1.We're at the point now where the crowd is large enough that you should really be doubling the size of the entrance and the number of staff on it; that or open considerably earlier so the arrivals are more spread out.

Wrapping up with both bad and ugly:

I love going down the front at gigs. When I do this I take care to avoid harming other people down there or generally being an arsehole, as most people do, but I accept that it's the front of metal festival, you may end up with a pint down you or painful blows to body parts. Fine, it happens. What I'm not fine with is someone being that much of a lazy, ignorant, drunken, disgusting person that they just whip their cock out in the middle of a crowded pit and piss everywhere. Rather than taking the two minutes to exit the crowd and go to a urinal to empty their bladder before returning to the front, you'd rather just piss on my leg, forcing me to leave Gojira so I could bin my clothes and wash.

I am the least confrontational person in the world, but it's fair to say I was a seething mess on Saturday night. Cheers for ruining Gojira for me, dickhead.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Good
Judas Priest, Alestorm, At The Gates, Nightwish, Skiltron, Arkona, Cadence Noir, Sellsword.
Bogs were all pretty good, only bad ones I saw were in the arena.
Friendly bar staff
Crepes stand in Midgard, decent filling food and good coffee :yes:
Some guy dropped his ticket in the queue and someone handing it back to him when he asked if anyone had found it. Faith in humanity slightly restored there.

Bad
The queue - it's beyond ridiculous now. Not sure what they can do as space in that area is limited by the campsites either side. Something needs doing though as spending almost as long in the queue as I did traveling to Bloodstock is unacceptable. Maybe they could look at opening the campsites on Wednesday so nearly 20000 people aren't trying to get in at the same time.

Overpriced arena food - badly missed Deli Kate.

Bollock freezing cold on Friday night

Rain, wind, more rain. Not much they can do about the weather though I suppose.

Not doing anything about the mud in the arena entrance and the path into Midgard. Woodchips or hay would help.

Only 12 showers, another one of those things that get mentioned every year like the queue and the late release of the set times. And nothing ever seems to change about any of them. It's like they don't even care.

Nightwish starting early, what was with that?

Suicidal Tendencies having to switch slots and clashing with Emperor

The Arena feeling increasingly overcrowded. Maybe I'm just getting old but I definitely preferred the feel of the festival around 5 or so years ago when attendance was much lower and everything felt a bit more spaced out and relaxed. Now the place constantly feels rammed. I wish they'd kept the capacity a bit lower to try and maintain than instead of adding extra campsites to try and boost ticket sales with no consideration of the consequences.

Ugly

The group next to us in Midgard wrestling bollock naked on Thursday afternoon.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Turbo wrote:Only went for the day, worst lineup in the history of Bloodstock in my opinion. Judging by the amount of people I saw with pink wristbands I’m guessing I wasn’t alone in that opinion either. Also four of last years 12 or so strong camp attended this year.

Whilst I agree about the line up, and indeed neither I nor half a dozen of my mates who normally go went at all, wasn't it the biggest selling Bloodstock to date? I have to hold my hands up and say this line up might not be for me but if it's shifting tickets they must be doing something right.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Yeah it was shit. Best festival ever!

Fings wot were good:

- Still feels like "Home" with the same atmosphere in the arena and reassuringly familiar faces
- Showsec were great as always
- Vanaheim folks were lovely. Didn't find a single knobhead. Special shoutout to the chap blaring Priest and Dio as he waited in line for the showers - my phone was on charge in my camper so it helped make an otherwise dull shit in the portaloo a bit more enjoyable.
- Obtaining my Vanaheim wristband was a fantastically smooth process.
- Hitting the VIP bar at just the right times to find great beers, and Dam Dog (the vegan one) tasted better than the damson porter. The Black Bee mild was tasty too. Bar staff themselves seemed well motivated throughout the weekend.
- The rarest of rare occasions that synths were audible in the Sophie tent, courtesy of Demonic Resurrection (who were brilliant).
- The beautiful, surreal sight of a long line of blokes lined up at the urinals wearing tasteless Hawaiian shirts before Cannibal Corpse.
- The screens in between bands not playing the same 2 or 3 Nuclear Blast sponsored songs steadily gnawing away at everyone's sanity as the weekend progressed! The fact I heard no one complain about the video features speaks volumes and how this change is perhaps underappreciated.
- "Come on you guys conquered India - I'm sure you guys can conquer the Sophie tent" :lol:

Not so great:

- Main stage sound. The PA seemed incapable of dealing with low frequencies produced by Gojira and Nightwish in particular. It's as if the sound techs had pushed the the gain beyond the limits in pursuit of VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME. Gojira become a muddy quagmire at the slightest hint of double bass drums, and you had to know the songs to pick out any synths through the low end rumble. Priest, by contrast, had the clearest sound of the weekend. Maybe the rain was to blame.
- The distance to Vanaheim and the hoops that were mooted to be jumped through in order to get there meant only other Vanaheimers ever came close to my living quarters. I missed having folks like WorMzy dropping by to say hello on Thursday.
- Said distance and ease of just chatting meant that I actually missed quite a few bands throughout the weekend.
- Spotted a chap stumbling over the barbed wire fence at the disabled car park, looking like he'd just finished checking out some of the cars there, and he didn't seem to "fit in with the Bloodstock crowd". He proceeded fall onto the wire, casually got up and walked down the road. Awkwardly, the nearest security was posted at the back entrance to VIP camping...
- Vanaheim portaloos being padlocked long before Chucking Out time Monday morning.
- Motley Brue announcing how many people had nabbed off with their mugs.

Ugly:

- Me from not long after the arena opened Thursday right up to breakfast Friday morning.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:54 pm

The Good:

- Arriving 9am Thursday morning, getting third row in the car park and getting into the campsite by 10:30ish. Made the whole day much easier and chilled.

- Friendly people as usual and great atmosphere from start to finish. Getting to see people I don't see often.

- Quiet camp being moved to Ragnarok; felt a lot more spacious in there and had toilets close by. I also found it much quieter in there although a couple in my camp said the opposite!

- Suicidal Tendencies being moved to the Sophie stage and playing a blinding set despite travel issues - intense!

- Crowd surfing!

- Gojira smashing their headline set - amazingly talented and totally deserving of it.

- Finally getting to see At The Gates after listening to them for 10+ years and their set list being perfect.

- Watain - I wasn't too familiar with their music but they blew me away with their live show! Best headliner I've ever seen on the Sophie stage and a fantastic way to end the festival. Hope BOA continue to utilize the late night Sophie slot for similar acts *cough* Batushka and Electric Wizard!

- Using the New Blood tent for movies after hours - nice little touch and good use of an empty space.

The Bad:

- The change in Suicidal's set time meaning missing Body Harvest/Kamikaze Test Pilots but can't be helped!

- Not knowing With The Dead's set was cancelled until I showed up at the tent.

- Drunk people literally pushing through the crowd to get to the front as soon as a band starts. I expect inconsiderate, drunken twats to some degree but this year seemed worse for it. Is it really that difficult to say excuse me?

- The state of Midgaard over the weekend but particularly this morning. Again is it really that difficult to clean up after yourself and have some respect for the site? I know the bins get taken away because of jousting but at least use bin bags.

- The increasing prices of food in the arena (£8 - £10 per meal and £3 - £3.50 for a coffee/hot chocolate) :(

The Ugly:

- The sun burn on the tops of my arms after wearing a sleeveless shirt for just one day dammit :lol:

- Rain/Mud although can't be helped and was no where near as bad as 2014!

- Coldness on Thursday and Friday night although I invested in a duvet on Saturday night and it changed my whole festival sleeping experience :lol:

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:07 pm

Soze wrote:
Turbo wrote:Only went for the day, worst lineup in the history of Bloodstock in my opinion. Judging by the amount of people I saw with pink wristbands I’m guessing I wasn’t alone in that opinion either. Also four of last years 12 or so strong camp attended this year.

Whilst I agree about the line up, and indeed neither I nor half a dozen of my mates who normally go went at all, wasn't it the biggest selling Bloodstock to date? I have to hold my hands up and say this line up might not be for me but if it's shifting tickets they must be doing something right.

I dunno just seems to accommodate metal hammer readers and 14 year olds and stick two fingers up at the dedicated people like myself who’s been going since 2006, understood there’s a lot more of them than there are of people like me, and it’s a business after all, just a shame. Downloads much of the same shit but bigger and now I feel obliged to go to a foreign festivals which costs a lot of cash these days, along with annual leave! Gone are the days where a flight, transport and Wacken ticket was the cheaper option to Download that’s about 40 miles from home. Luckily for BOA I do love travel and tend to be able to roll a festival into a holiday so hoping Party San or Brutal Assault (not because they both clash with BOA) bring something special, and I’ll book flights.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:26 pm

JPMC wrote:Oh and I almost forgot. What the hell was that The Lost band playing in VIP on Saturday? What a load of old shit. Have they ever actually heard the songs they were trying to play?

They were called The Lost Boys. Brule were originally meant to be playing in that slot, but one of the members ended up in hospital (fortunately, he's now on the mend) so they had to cancel. The Lost Boys were a last minute addition, basically due to a random conversation with one of the organisers in the bar the day before. It's some guy and his two young sons (I think he said they were 11 and 12), and they were offered the opportunity to fill the empty slot and took it. I didn't think they were great, but good on them for giving it a go at the last minute.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

dclizardking
Paster of Muppets

Postby dclizardking » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Tet wrote:
JPMC wrote:Oh and I almost forgot. What the hell was that The Lost band playing in VIP on Saturday? What a load of old shit. Have they ever actually heard the songs they were trying to play?

They were called The Lost Boys. Brule were originally meant to be playing in that slot, but one of the members ended up in hospital (fortunately, he's now on the mend) so they had to cancel. The Lost Boys were a last minute addition, basically due to a random conversation with one of the organisers in the bar the day before. It's some guy and his two young sons (I think he said they were 11 and 12), and they were offered the opportunity to fill the empty slot and took it. I didn't think they were great, but good on them for giving it a go at the last minute.

Have to agree with Tet here, they were two young kids given the opportunity of a lifetime to appear at the biggest metal festival in Britain and they grabbed it, who wouldn't? They weren't great, but one day those kids will be great musicians and the chance they were given last weekend could make all the diference in them going on to become stars in the future.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Good:
Sodomized Cadaver with Ollie on vocals
The Hippy Chippy and Motley Brew
Corpsegrinder being his usual sarky self and playing his usual great material
New Blood Stage bands obviously rising to the occasion
Army Surplus Shop
Bad:
Urinals in the middle of the toilet drag in Asgard..I almost walked into a poor guy having a pee- and how the more pissed blokes kept their dignity...
Fireworks...I loathe fireworks- there is a special place in hell for the makers and lighters of fireworks
People smoking fags in the tents...have you NEVER heard of ROY CASTLE who never smoked a fag in his life but died of lung cancer due to passive smoking as he was a trumpet player.....and can't you read the notices? (I'm bringing a water pistol next year)
Ugly:
The people on here cussing other peoples' dress sense/appearance...if you can't let it all hang out at BOA where can you?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:41 pm

The Good:
The Bands - Watain, Septicflesh, Kamalot, Doro, Preist, and (the fucking amazing) Nightwish, among others!
My fave bands not being accompanied by rain.
Some decent tasting food.
good clean-ish toilets.
Nice atmosphere (like always).
Security guys - though not quite as awesome as prior fests, its got to be more intense for them with the increased capacity.
Bigger selection of beer!
I was always able to find a good spot for the sound this time.

The Bad:
The rain was shitty-ish, missed a few bands just to stay dry-ish.
The cost of food was a real problem this year! No Geo's garlic bread to counterbalance this time. At least £8.50 for a main, but more like a tenner for filling portions! I'm gonna have to pack more food next time.
The queue to get in was shitty again.
I actually managed to catch Lovebites but the comms for the time changes weren't really good enough - they need a way to get the word out.

The ugly:
The guy in the tent next to me was snoring to the point of me actually moving my tent at 5am!
Indeed, the mankini guys really haven't got any funnier over the years.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

sugarmouse
Consort of the Beast

Postby sugarmouse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:15 am

The good:
Most of the bands!
Nightwish
Judas Priest-yes he's getting on a bit but I couldnt really fault his performance.
Alestorm-I just love them, cheer me up no matter what!
Callus in the Jaegar tent. I am biased, I know the singer but I hadn't seen them before and I thought the sound was really good and really enjoyed their songs
Films in the new blood tent-not that I watched any but good idea.
The chilli stall. Sustenance is needed and it served!Reasonable prices too. I dont eat meat but the vegan stuff was fab.
The hippy chips-great, quickly served and reasonably priced. Paella is good too I'm just a bit scared of rice. Loved watching the guys cooking the rice dancing around to techno but so cheery with it!

Being allowed on the shuttlebus and the friendly drivers they were fab and it must be quite a boring job!

The guy in the mankini ;)
The guy behind the bar, who undercharged me twice. I did tell him but he didn't seem to be bothered lol
The bar staff in general. They were very cheerful-It makes a difference.
People everywhere generally seemed really happy.

The bad: Lack of drop off point but I don't like to go on. ;)
Some knobhead knocking my drink out of my hand during Alestorm-if I did that to anyone I'd get them a new one, not just beggar off!
Missing the strongest man/woman thing. I like that sort of thing but my friends dont and I couldn't be bothered leaving them.
I can't think of much though to be honest.

The Ugly: Me being effing useless-I left my sleeping bag in my car. Coped without it on Friday, went to get it from the car on Saturday and forgot my car keys.Sake.I also put the wrong place in the sat nav on the way there and drove half way across the country in the opposite direction before realising.
My friend's boyfriend constantly coming onto me wanting a 3some. No means no dude!
My friend who I shared a tent with letting the air bed down to wake me up. I'm grouchy enough as it is!
Me nearly sitting in my friend's sick.
Tenth bloodstock (fuck's sake I'm old)
We're all ****ed. It helps to remember this.

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:08 am

My 9th Bloodstock and had a brilliant time, already looking forward to next year! :rock:

The Good:

Judas Priest were easily the best headliner I have seen at Bloodstock, fantastic set, loved the new songs and Glen coming on during the encore was inspirational. Really enjoyed Power trip, Conjurer, ST, Exhorder, Ingested and Mantar. There was a good mix of bands this year, I don't like the power/symphonic stuff, but there was usually something else to watch instead.

Showsec were great as usual, most of them were friendly and professional despite
the crappy weather on Sunday.

Nice range of vegan and veggie options this year and the hippy chips were delicious, missed Deli-kate though :-(

Good atmosphere, there seemed to be less dickheads this year.

Art gallery was cool, I had a few photos taken in front of the Priest album covers!

Toilets were well maintained. I only saw one dodgy toilet and most were clean and had bogroll.

The Bad:

The rain and mud. Can't be helped but it does put a downer on things when you're
damp. I was wearing a massive poncho and still got soaked during Cannibal Corpse.

Orden Ogen, Kamelot, Nightwish and Mr Big, were terrible - although it gave me a chance to wander around the cd stalls and the art gallery.

Price of food was ridiculous - I'm sure they would shift a lot more portions if they brought the cost down by £2-3

The Ugly:

I don't think I saw anything too offensive this year - far too many alestorm pirates but I guess some people like doing the fancy dress thing at festivals. :lol: