BOA 2018 - Rate the Bands You Saw

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: BOA 2018 - Rate the Bands You Saw

Postby Ghost » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:21 pm

thespis_mellie wrote:
Aonia - 4/10. Good at what they do but too much opera for me. One of the singers' bingo wings were not a great sight. The Kerry King lookalike on keyboard gave me a good laugh though.

Haha, sorry my 'bingo wings' offended you. I was going to wear a shirt but it was too damn hot. :lol: :lol:

I've told your bingo wings before to stop telling those racist jokes and offending people, they just do not listen. :love:
I see the bad moon arising.

thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thespis_mellie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:24 pm

I've told your bingo wings before to stop telling those racist jokes and offending people, they just do not listen. :love:

Darn bingo wings. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Symphonic metal, joint-fronted by 'sopranos with balls' - http://www.aoniaband.co.uk

thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thespis_mellie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Also good to see that sexism is alive and well in the metal scene...my keyboardist is a 'Kerry King lookalike' and no comments on the appearances of the multitude of men in bands...hmmm ;-) Anyhow, it's a good thing I'm pretty confident in myself and my appearance (I regularly joke about buying 'fat girl clothes') but maybe think about what you post in the future as you could really hurt someone less secure, 'Black Wizard.' Much love to you for the future.

Anyway, my band reviews (not rating):

Thursday:

Fire Red Empress - saw these when they played the SOPHIE stage last and they were great, even better with the new vocalist!
Skiltron - good folkin' fun.

Friday:
Democratus - went along because I'm friends with the vocalist on FB. Good fun, great crowd interaction, solid riffage.
Vulgore - went along because I know the bassist and we were camped next to them. Genre-wise I was expecting to not enjoy them and was blown away by how catchy their songs were and how much energy they had.
Kinasis - went along because we were camped near them. Singer is psychotic (in a good way). Totally electrifying.
Pelugion - went along because we're both under FatAngel's wing. Very catchy, good tunes, engaging set.
A Ritual Spirit - another I went to see because of FatAngel and they were incredible. Soulful, powerful vocals and intoxicating melodies.
Sertraline - she is INSANE and has so much energy. I was tired for her at the end of their set! Incredible power from everyone in the band.
Onslaught - went to watch them because their vocalist offered to help Jo and me carry our merch through to the stall (what a dude). Enjoyable bouncy thrash that was totally fun and mesmerising.
Kamelot - just...WOW. Incredible melodies, powerful vocals...the whole package. First time seeing them, will go along again.
Judas Priest - my first time seeing them and WOW. It's obvious why they've been going so long. The stage show just added to the band's presence and they were simply incredible.

Saturday:
Spent all day in press tent / VIP / playing. Missed the band I really wanted to see because I got talking to people and lost track of time...doh. Great to catch up with Dakesis and Luke Appleton though and to finally meet Becky Baldwin who is lovely. Also spent quite a bit of time with Emma from Cadence Noir (whose set I missed as I was in the press tent :-( ) which was AWESOME because she's, like, the coolest person.

Sunday:
Gemma Fox - fantastic, passionate vocals and she drags you into her world. Totally overwhelming.
Obzidian - angry and face-melting, totally insane.
Sellsword - love these guys. Always amazing. Vocalist is incredibly versatile. Catchy songs and fantastic musicianship.
Alien Weaponry - couldn't get into the tent. Possibly on the wrong stage. Sounded brutally intense from outside.
Missed Monument and Evergrey, both of whom I really wanted to see. Grr.
Fozzy - great fun, catchy songs and fantastic stage presence.
Jasta (and friends) - sounds like a Saturday Morning kids' cartoon. Was not expecting to enjoy them as I tend more toward the melodic side of things but Jasta's winning personality converted me.
Mr Big - just incredible - so much fun!
Nightwish - now I can die happy. "Come Cover Me" AND "Ghost Love Score?" What a set.
Symphonic metal, joint-fronted by 'sopranos with balls' - http://www.aoniaband.co.uk

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:08 pm

thespis_mellie wrote:Also good to see that sexism is alive and well in the metal scene...my keyboardist is a 'Kerry King lookalike' and no comments on the appearances of the multitude of men in bands...hmmm ;-) Anyhow, it's a good thing I'm pretty confident in myself and my appearance (I regularly joke about buying 'fat girl clothes') but maybe think about what you post in the future as you could really hurt someone less secure, 'Black Wizard.' Much love to you for the future.

:rock: :hug:

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 am

Friday:

Turbyne 6.5/10
Feed the Rhino 6.5/10
Garshkott 7/10
Onslaught 8/10 Back on top form
Democratus 5/10
Fahran 4/10
Vulgore 3/10
Godthrymm 6.5/10
Suicidal tendencies 8/10
Ingested 8/10
Love bites 6/10
Emperor 6.5/10
Judas Priest 10/10 Best headliner I've seen at Bloodstock.

Saturday:

The Brood 5/10
Forgotten Remains 7/10
Power trip 9/10 Second best set of the festival for me.
Orden Ogan 4/10
Ashborn 6/10
Negative thought process 6/10
Septic flesh 7/10
Conjurer 8.5/10
Venom inc. 7/10
Cannibal corpse 7.5/10 - would have been higher, but the rain turned a firework into a damp squib!
Exhorder 8/10

Sunday: my worst day for bands, really struggled to find anything decent.

King Leviathan 6/10
Amaranthe 4/10
Alien weaponry 6.5/10
Fozzy 7.5/10 Got dragged along to this expecting to hate them, but was pleasantly surprised by Jericho, great stage presence and entertaining set.
Jasta 7/10
Mr Big 3/10 I thought this would be like the feel-good fozzy set earlier - unfortunately it did nothing for me.
Demonic resurrection 2.5/10 Poor excuse for a death metal band.
Mantar 8/10

Deadite91
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Deadite91 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 am

Friday

Judas Priest 9/10
Emperor 8/10
Bloodbath 6/10
Wednesday 13 5/10
Onslaught 6/10
Ingested 9/10

Saturday

Gojira 10/10
Cannibal Corpse 8/10
Septic Flesh 7/10
Orden Ogan 6/10

Sunday

Fozzy 4/10
Abduction 8/10

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 am

I found it to be a much more average year than usual. Only saw a couple of bands I actively disliked, but equally didn't see anything which totally blew me away either.

Thursday:

Hundred Year Old Man 9/10
Fire Red Empress 5/10
Skiltron 7/10
Bloodshot Dawn 4/10
Arkona 6/10 - Seen them be much better than that

Friday:

Fahran 7/10
Godthrymm 6/10
Bloodbath 5/10
De Profundis 7/10
Kamelot 8/10
Emperor 7/10
Bleed From Within 3/10
The Heretic Order 7/10
Judas Priest 6/10
Doro 7/10

Saturday:

Nailed To Obscurity 6/10
Limb 6/10
Orden Ogan 8/10
Septic Flesh 8/10
Conjurer 9/10
Venom Inc 7/10
Vola 8/10
Combichrist 7/10
A Forest Of Stars 2/10 - Added to my "more bands should be instrumental" evidence pile, ruined by the vocals
Voyager 9/10
Alestorm 6/10
Orphaned Land 7/10

Sunday:

Obzidian 3/10
Monument 7/10
Doomsday Outlaw 6/10
Evergrey 7/10
Amaranthe 7/10 - Dealt with their technical issues very well
Alien Weaponry 9/10
Fozzy 5/10
Jasta 5/10 - Not really sure what the point of this was
Barbarian Hermit 8/10
Mr Big 5/10
Demonic Resurrection 9/10
Skybrudd 6/10
Sellsword 10/10 - Band of the weekend
Servers 7/10
At The Gates 4/10 - Lord do I hate that man's voice
Pallbearer 8/10
Nightwish 9/10 - They were so bad last time I saw them, very happy to see a good show again (still don't rate Floor Jansen though)
Watain 5/10

ghostbc
Lowly Peon

Postby ghostbc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:49 am

A fifth Bloodstock and probably the best trio of main stage headliners. My soundbites.

Friday

- Godthrymm - pretty average doom - 5/10
- Bloodbath - lovely retro death - 7/10
- Lovebites - surprise Japanese players - 7/10
- Suicidal Tendencies - too much patter - 6/10
- Emperor - evil in sun - 8/10
- Bleed from Within - dodgy metalcore - 4/10
- Judas Priest - supreme old masters - 9/10

Saturday

- Power Trip - new old thrash - 8/10
- Orden Ogan - who needs bass - 7/10
- Septicflesh - poor man's Christ - 5/10
- Vola - knowing Scandi rock - 6/10
- Combichrist - energy without substance - 3/10
- A Forest of Stars - true Victorian splendour - 8/10
- Alestorm - amusing song repeated - 5/10
- Exhorder - potent thrash rarity - 7/10
- Gojira - French trophy winners - 8/10
- Orphaned Land - charismatic Eastern friends - 8/10

Sunday

- Underside - left sound behind - 4/10
- Demonic Resurrection - Indians conquer Midlands - 8/10
- Devildriver - endless meaningless drone - 2/10
- Act of Defiance - Megadeth not worried - 4/10
- At The Gates - Swedish masters survive - 7/10
- Pallbearer - beautiful booming doom - 8/10
- Nightwish - flawless finale - 10/10
- Watain - hot black end - 9/10

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Thursday

Skiltron - 5/10 - Enjoyable enough. Not my bag(pipe) to be honest but it was your typical fun Thursday night band.

Bloodshot Dawn - 4/10 - Was nearer the front for them. Sound was absolute dogshit so I did not enjoy this performance at all. It takes a lot for a Technical/Melodic Death Metal band to amaze me these days because the scene is just inundated with clones.

Arkona - 8/10 - Probably the best Thursday night set I have ever seen. Love both the BM and more folky material so I really enjoyed this set. Guitars didn't have much oomph but it was musically right up my alley. I think Masha is an amazing female vocalist. The transitions between harsh and cleans were seamless.

Friday

Memoriam - 7/10 - No Bolt Thrower but god I do have a soft spot for crunchy mid paced DM. Bleed the Same was great and it was just highly enjoyable albeit not outstanding.

Bloodbath - 5/10 - Meh, never rated this supergroup that highly. Eaten is an absolute banger but it was a very through the motions performance. Nick is far better with Paradise Lost. Sound was shite too.

Ingested - 7/10 - Shit sound but a good set nonetheless. I do love a good slam and the pit went suitably wild for the lads from Slamchester.

Emperor - 9/10 - Seriously concerned about how consistently low Emperor's rating is this year. Absolutely astonishing. Sounded fantastic and playing their best album plus a couple cuts from Nightside. Didn't have the once in a lifetime magic of 2014 but such is the nature of not being in the headline slot.

Judas Priest - 9/10 - As good as the other times I have seen them. Setlist was a bit weak for my tastes but it was up there with some of the best headline slots ever. The perfect BOA headliner definitely delivered. I thought Rob sounded great too. Thankfully the sound was good for them unlike many other mainstage bands.

Saturday

Power Trip - 8/10 - Bloody tore the RJD a new one! Easy to see why they are touted as the saviours of modern thrash. Musically nothing special but delivered with such vigour.

Conjurer - 8/10 - Jesus they were intense. Sludgy extremity done right.

Septicflesh - 8/10 - Massive fan of this band on record. Only negative thing is the symphonic and clean vocals being provided via backing track but it was still a crushing set from these Greek stalwarts. Glad to see them finally building up some steam after decades in DM obscurity.

Cannibal Corpse - 7/10 - Sound was muddy for the most part but it was classic corpse. Corpsegrinder still using the same stage banter and setlist widely the same as it has been for years (minus new tracks). So it was a bit samey but I was in the mood for them so I still enjoyed it. Glad it was raining cos it meant not many people were participating in the silly Hawaiian shirt trend that BOA were trying to incite.

Gojira - 9/10 - Absolutely smashed it. Stage show/visuals were fantastic. Gift of Guilt was a real treat. They are so tight live and that day was no different. Sound was pretty good for them too.

Sunday

Alien Weaponry - 6/10 - Sounded like roots era Sepultura and was energetic enough. pretty simplistic so it didn't grab me too much but I do have to give props to the sizeable crowd and gusto they played with. Good for the young lads.

Demonic Resurrection - 6/10 - Not a major fan on record but it was a humorous and energetic performance. Glad to see the crowd get into it and support international metal. Similarly to Septicflesh, it is a shame they rely on backing tracks for the synths.

Mantar - 8/10 - Incredible amount of noise for a two piece. Great balance of Blackened punky sludge and it came across really well live. Glad to have finally seen them and can actually see them becoming quite a big band if they can maintain their intensity and grow as a band.

At the Gates - 7/10 - Really pains me to not give them a higher score but I have to be honest. I absolutely adore this band as they are my introduction to DM and extreme metal but the setlist was way too heavy on material from At War with Reality. It isn't a bad album but it is definitely their weakest including this year's album. Not a single track from their astonishing first three records. Saying this they played well and were energetic.

Pallbearer - 9/10 - Gorgeous sound and guitar tone. Similarly to Bossk last year, it was the perfect placement for a doom band and Pallbearer are deservedly one of the leading lights in that scene.

Watain - 9/10 - What a fucking way to end BOA with a bang, Blistering sound and just fantastic accessible Black Metal. So many tasty riffs and the pyro and commitment to the performance just contributed to a fantastic way to end the weekend.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Ghost wrote:
thespis_mellie wrote:Also good to see that sexism is alive and well in the metal scene...my keyboardist is a 'Kerry King lookalike' and no comments on the appearances of the multitude of men in bands...hmmm ;-) Anyhow, it's a good thing I'm pretty confident in myself and my appearance (I regularly joke about buying 'fat girl clothes') but maybe think about what you post in the future as you could really hurt someone less secure, 'Black Wizard.' Much love to you for the future.

:rock: :hug:

Quite ironic considering that asswipe is always pulling people up about small insignificant non PC words or phrases. Good at being offended on behalf of others whilst dishing it out to other people.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:53 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:

Quite ironic considering that asswipe is always pulling people up about small insignificant non PC words or phrases. Good at being offended on behalf of others whilst dishing it out to other people.

:lol: I knew you'd come back to the forum to comment on this.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:04 pm

florencethemachine wrote:Emperor - 9/10 - Seriously concerned about how consistently low Emperor's rating is this year. Absolutely astonishing. Sounded fantastic and playing their best album plus a couple cuts from Nightside. Didn't have the once in a lifetime magic of 2014 but such is the nature of not being in the headline slot.

Have to admit I'm surprised by the low ratings too. As someone who isn't massively into Emperor, I thought they sounded great, and assumed anyone who really likes them would rate them as either a 9 or 10!

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Thursday

Hundred Year Old Man - 7/10 - DOOOOOOOOOM.
Skiltron - 6/10 - BAGPIPES OF WAR ! was a fun gimmick, but there wasn't much else really.
Arkona - 9/10 - Excellent atmosphere, musicianship, vocals.

Friday

Wednesday 13 - 3/10 (points for plugging in the gear)
Bloodbath - 5/10 - Alright, didn't seem to have that much Oomph to it.
Lovebites - 9/10 - Absolutely excellent. Contrary to popular heresy, they write their own music, and work with producers at Finnvox to master everything. Female Dragonforce, with less ego.
Fahran - 7/10 - Really really good heavy rock band - thoroughly enjoyed & will be buying their records for the car.
Godthrymm - 8/10 - DOOOOOOOOOOM. Really, really good Candlemass-y doom.
Democratus - 6/10 - enjoyed what I heard, but didn't catch all that much.
Emperor - 10/10 - Fucking superb. Stood near the mixing desk, as black metal at festivals always has awful sound - this was near perfect from my vantage.
Judas Priest - 10/10 - THE PRIEST IS BACK. First time seeing them since the Angel of Retribution tour in 2005/6ish. What a show - that's a proper heavy metal band, even with the guitarist issues. Rob Halford sounded amazing. Great to see a Walsall boy on top of the world. Glen Tipton on stage for what must be nearly the last time was beautiful.

Saturday

Orden Ogan - 7/10 - Enjoyable enough power metal, seemed to lack that killer THING that makes bands like Gamma Ray / Edugy / Hammerfall stand out.
Cadence Noir - 7/10 - Really enjoyed what I caught of their set.
Equinox - 9/10 - Caught their last song and a half, but what a great band ! Great tunes, great style - singer, foot on the speaker with great hair.
Aonia - 8/10 (points lost for the sound issues) - Couldn't hear the vocalists for much of the verses, but great style, great music, great choruses. Good to see some operatic stuff at Bloodstock.
Forest of Stars - N/A - Caught one song-ish, so can't really comment, but what I heard was really interesting in a Madder Mortem-y kind of way.
Venom Inc - 7/10 - Heavy Metal Motorhead. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Combichrist - 3/10 - Points for bringing in the goth girls, but otherwise no.
Alestorm - 10/10 - Band of the day. Does your band have a giant inflatable duck ? No ? Get out then. Everything that is good about heavy metal - dirty drinking songs, great presence, crowd involved, singer a tiny bit of a bellend.
Cannibal Corpse - 5/10 - Points for playing an entirely bland set. Other death metal bands you can at least giggle at, they were just dull.
Gojira - 9/10 - First time hearing much of their material, but the passion was very clearly communicated, and a brilliantly organised light / video show.
Orphaned Land - N/A - Caught one song-ish, before my feet betrayed me, but sounded good.

Sunday

Amaranthe - 5/10 - Snigger. Played half a set, and that to a backing track. If they had live keyboards it might get a higher score.
Fozzy - 7/10 - Surprisingly good fun, and Chris Jericho is up there with the Alestorm bloke for crowd motivation skills.
Jasta - 1/10 - Kerrang rubbish. Point for bringing out a couple of decent guests to break it up.
Mr Big - 9/10 - Thoroughly enjoyed seeing some proper musicians after Jasta - Paul Gilbert should be invited back if Mr Big never are. Nice to see the other bands at the side of the stage watching, too.
Sellsword - 8/10 - Really enjoyed these guys, great set, great stage presence, really threw themselves into it.
Pallbearer - 9/10 - DOOOOOO (ah you get it) - yes, they were largely great from what I saw. Seemed to have a slightly flat sound, which was a shame.
Nightwish - 10/10 - Have lost a bit of their naive Finnish charm, off being euro metal superstars, but they put on a beautiful show, with a great selection of songs (10th Man Down was a nice surprise), Floor is THE Tarja replacement (in voice if not in contribution), and it was all just perfect. I love seeing Nightwish firing on all cylinders.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:24 am

Ghost wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:

:lol: I knew you'd come back to the forum to comment on this.

Meh, while I don't like personally insulting comments, I don't like the idea that bands are constantly watching this forum ready to pick up anything negative said about them.

I remember saying that Power Quest (who I like a lot) were unlikely to get a big crowd, and the keyboardist appearing and getting a bit defensive about it, or when the singer from Alestorm always used to pick up on comments about his band.

From the thread the singer started, it seems Aonia got a very good crowd for the new blood stage, this is more important that stupid internet comments.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Meh, while I don't like personally insulting comments, I don't like the idea that bands are constantly watching this forum ready to pick up anything negative said about them.

I remember saying that Power Quest (who I like a lot) were unlikely to get a big crowd, and the keyboardist appearing and getting a bit defensive about it, or when the singer from Alestorm always used to pick up on comments about his band.

From the thread the singer started, it seems Aonia got a very good crowd for the new blood stage, this is more important that stupid internet comments.

I agree that a band should be able to take negative comments about their performance but in this case it was about her physical appearance not her vocals. I assume this probably happens to her and other female singers a fair amount so she decided to respond. If you read a negative comment specific to your appearance you may wish to respond or you may laugh it off (although that maybe difficult after a while).
I doubt Black Wizard knew she would see his comment so didn't intent any upset. She was just highlighting that comments like that can upset people.