BOA 2018 - Rate the Bands You Saw

August 9-12, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Re: BOA 2018 - Rate the Bands You Saw

Postby Cassius » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 pm

THURSDAY

Hundred Year Old Man - 7/10 - Crushing start to the weekend
Skiltron - 8/10 - Always love these guys and perfect bouncy folk metal when im well into my drink
Arkona - 8/10 - Fucking solid and love the variety of their set

FRIDAY

Onslaught - 6/10 - Decent but didnt seem as intense as when iv seen them before (This might have been due to me being in a right state from night before)
Memoriam - 7/10 - Lovely chuggy death metal
Bloodbath - 9/10 - I fucking love these guys and they did not disapoint. Just extremely solid death metal
Ingested - 9/10 - Delicous fucking slams
Trivax - 8/10 - Really solid black metal
Emperor - 8/10 - I dont actually rate Anthems that highly but thought it sounded really good live
Judas Priest - 9/10 - Excellent headliner and even better than when I saw them at metal days

SATURDAY

Power Trip - 9/10 - Only discovered these with their announcement and so fucking glad. Such an energetic set
Septic Flesh - 8/10 - AWesome even with a lot being on the backing track
A Forest Of Stars - 4/10 - Like these but wasnt in the mood
Alestorm - 10/10 - Just the most fun you can have in a pit. Love the sea of inflatables even though it might have annoyed me for another band
Cannibal Corpse - 8/10 - Rain was fucking annoying and was dead from Alestorm but still really enjoyed them

SUNDAY

Imminent Annihilation - 4/10 - Couple of decent death metal songs but most of it was a bit meh
Alien Weaponry - 8/10 - Not as good as at Metaldays but still a really fucking powerful performance. They will be on main stage next time
Barbarian Hermit - 7 Sludgey goodness
Sellsword - 8/10 - Performed great and really happy to see them get a massive crowd
At The Gates - 7/10 - Played well but the set list wasnt the best
Watain - 9/10 - Amazing end to the festival. Great performance and amazing stage show

thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thespis_mellie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:44 pm

Meh, while I don't like personally insulting comments, I don't like the idea that bands are constantly watching this forum ready to pick up anything negative said about them.

I remember saying that Power Quest (who I like a lot) were unlikely to get a big crowd, and the keyboardist appearing and getting a bit defensive about it, or when the singer from Alestorm always used to pick up on comments about his band.

From the thread the singer started, it seems Aonia got a very good crowd for the new blood stage, this is more important that stupid internet comments.

I agree that a band should be able to take negative comments about their performance but in this case it was about her physical appearance not her vocals. I assume this probably happens to her and other female singers a fair amount so she decided to respond. If you read a negative comment specific to your appearance you may wish to respond or you may laugh it off (although that maybe difficult after a while).
I doubt Black Wizard knew she would see his comment so didn't intent any upset. She was just highlighting that comments like that can upset people.

Got it in one, Ghost!

(I've been a quiet forum member since 2007...wasn't scouring for comments on Aonia but felt I needed to say something. Criticisms of music / my performance are welcome as I'm always looking to improve!)
Symphonic metal, joint-fronted by 'sopranos with balls' - http://www.aoniaband.co.uk

JD_B3E5
Definitely Not Nu

Postby JD_B3E5 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:32 am

Thursday
Fire Red Empress - 2/10 - Bit of a shit way to start the weekend for me. Their singer couldn't seem to pull off a growl very well. Luckily, I had a pint to enjoy during this.
Bloodshot Dawn - 6/10 - Decent Tech-Death band. They didn't seem to blow me away if I'm brutally honest.

Friday
Onslaught - 8/10 - Great Thrash band and a great performance to go with it. :rock:
Sodomized Cadaver - 5/10 - Went to go watch these guys as the sun had just came back out and that there seemed to be no one else decent on. Pretty meh to be honest.
Bloodbath - 5/10 - For me, Bloodbath are another band that don't seem like a real proper Death Metal band. BOA needs to booking Death Metal bands like Morbid Angel, Vader, Suffocation and Akercocke again.
Ingested - 7/10 - Wasn't originally very fussed to see these guys, but I got pulled along by a mate who had waited five to see Ingested as he loves Slam. I have to say that they really got the crowd warmed up towards the end of their set and were quite impressive.
Suicidal Tendencies - 9/10 - Fucking spectacular. That's all I'm going to say. :love:
Emperor - 4/10 - Only caught about two minutes of their set as I was pretty knackered after ST. Not really into Black Metal as a whole to be honest.
JUDAS PRIEST - 8/10 - As everyone has been saying, Rob appears to be past his prime, however personally, I still think he's got it. It was also amazing to see Glenn come out with a smile on his face, despite what's been going on recently.

Saturday
Power Trip - 9/10 - This was my fourth time seeing them. Mark my words. They are the future of Metal.
Alestorm - 3/10 - Cringy as fuck to be honest.
Cannibal Corpse - 1/10 - Sounded like they were going to play the same riff for an hour. Dreadful band. Luckily I only stayed for the first four songs. :ugh:
GOJIRA - 10/10 - This was a complete step above Cannibal Corpse. This was the best headliner slot I've seen at BOA. :flame:

Sunday
Devildriver - 6/10 - I usually really like what these guys do, however they really didn't blow me away even though this was my first time seeing them live.
At The Gates - 5/10 - Only got into this band recently and took a big liking to them. I was really impressed with their hit album, Slaughter of the Soul. I was genuinely excited to see At The Gates. I unfortunately didn't enjoy it as they seemed to be plagued with sound issues. Very disappointing.
NIGHTWISH - 4/10 - Really not my cup of tea to be honest.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Thursday:

Skiltron: 6.5/10
Good choice for a Thursday night band but I didn't enjoy them as much as I did when they played in 2013 for some reason. Loved Bagpipes of War though!

Arkona: N/A
I watched most of Arkona but for some reason can't remember much of it despite not drinking much :lol: Seemed good at what they do and I liked the mix of clean and harsh vocals just nothing stands out in my mind enough to rate them fairly.

Friday:

Onslaught: 8/10
Solid performance. Enjoyed them more when I saw them at a more intimate venue in 2016 playing The Force in full but it was good to see them killing it on the big stage. You can tell these guys have been in the game years!

Wednesday 13: 7.5/10
Really got into these before BOA and was very excited to see them. Sounded great live and put on an awesome show. Only niggle is that they didn't play much early material which I'm more familiar with.

Bloodbath: 6.5/10
Again I was excited to see these live as I'd never seen them before. Enjoyed them musically but they didn't have much stage presence which made the performance slightly forgettable.

Suicidal Tendencies: 9/10
Very intense show! Loved the professionalism these guys showed when it came to their logistical problems, their positivity and the way they interacted with the crowd. Played a blinding set list and it was an honor to see Dave Lombardo behind the kit. First crowd surf of the fest during Subliminal!

Ingested: N/A
Caught a couple of songs whilst sitting at the back with a cuppa! Sounded just as I expected really but crowd seemed to be getting into them.

Emperor: N/A
Gave them a quick look after Suicidal but I knew I wouldn't enjoy them as much as when they played Nightside in the dark in 2014 so headed back to camp for a bit. Couldn't really get into Anthems prior to BOA anyways!

Judas Priest: 9/10
First time seeing Priest and wasn't disappointed! Great set list spanning their whole career and the new stuff sounded awesome! Halford sounded amazing too! What more can be said.

Doro: 7/10
Walked in half way through I Rule the Ruins; expected her to play this later on in the set but glad I managed to catch it! Good performance but a bit too cheesy and over the top at times!

Saturday:

Power Trip: 8/10
First time seeing these and they crushed it! Excellent crowd for 11:30am, can see them returning in a higher slot.

Dead Label: 7/10
Good groovy sludge, watched the whole set!

Conjurer: 7.5/10
Been meaning to catch these guys live for a long time. Very good at what they do, only left early to catch Venom Inc.

Venom Inc: 8/10
Enjoyed these a lot more than I expected! Awesome, straight to the point old school metal!

A Forest of Stars: 7/10
Another band I've been meaning to catch live for a long time. Excellent at what they do but I just wasn't in the right mood for atmospheric metal at the time.

Alestorm: 6.5/10
I'd been listening to these a lot in the week leading up to BOA and was looking forward to seeing them. Unfortunately they just didn't hit me live and the predictable song structures and key changes started to grate on me. Left about three quarters of the way through to get my jumper as I was cold :lol: An excellent choice for a party band though as the crowd was crazy for them!

Cannibal Corpse: 8.5/10
Saw them earlier this year in a tiny venue but goddamn they sound so much heavier on the big stage! Really enjoyed it despite being a very similar set list. Corpsegrinder was much more interactive with the crowd too. Crowd surfing in the rain in a Hawaiian shirt was fun!

Gojira: 10/10
Absolutely flawless performance. Everything was on point; the music, lights, visuals, pyro, everything! A well earned headline slot well and truly smashed! The Gift of Guilt was beautiful live and I got to surf to Flying Whales :D Can see these guys headlining again at some point.

Orphaned Land: 6.5/10
Nice to chill out to after Gojira!

Sunday

Obzidian: 7/10

Imminent Annihilation: 6.5/10

Everygrey: N/A
Saw a bit of

Drudge: 7.5/10
Really enjoyed these!

Alien Weaponry: 7.5/10
Enjoyed these live but overall quite an over hyped band. Will be interesting to see how they develop as musicians in the future. Can see them returning on the main stage at some point.

Ethyrfield: N/A
Again, saw a little bit of.

Mr. Big: 8/10
Crazy talented guys! Great set, loved hearing Addicted to that Rush although To Be With You was a bit of a killer and felt very awkward at Bloodstock! Would have been better if they kept the momentum with the sleazy, rocky material.

Skybrudd: 8.5/10
Probably my find of the weekend! Very atmospheric and progressive, great to chill out at the back of the tent to. The drunk/high old guys laid in front of me made it more entertaining by throwing grass on their sleeping friend :lol:

Devildriver: N/A
Watched a bit from afar but didn't really know any of the songs so can't rate.

Abduction: 8/10
Another good find, one man black metal. Gonna be checking out more of his stuff.

At The Gates: 9/10
Really solid performance and loved hearing a mix of Slaughter of the Soul material and their newer stuff. Thought I'd never get to see these live so over the moon I got to!

Pallbearer: N/A
Caught the end of their set but sounded decent!

Nightwish: N/A
Only caught a couple of songs, not really my cuppa tea!

Watain: 9.5/10
Wasn't expecting to enjoy these as much as I did considering I wasn't familiar with their material prior. But wow, what a show they put on! Probably the best black metal band I've seen live and the best headliner I've seen on the Sophie stage. Really hope BOA continue to utilize this slot for similar acts in the future as it worked fantastically. What an awesome way to end the festival!

Phew, that took a while!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Didn't go this year but I've worked out the averages on this thread the last couple, so thought I'd do so again. Been a week so I'm guessing everyone who can be arsed to post has done so! Average scores for bands across the RJD and Sophie stage...for those that received at least 5 votes - 23 voted in total.

43. Jasta - 3.6
42. Fire Red Empress - 4.33
41. Bloodshot Dawn - 4.5
40. Devildriver - 4.57
39. Act of Defiance - 4.6
38. Amaranthe - 4.9
37. Nailed to Obscurity - 5.33
36. A Forest of Stars - 5.33 :( (I adore this band)
35. Bloodbath - 5.61
34. Combichrist - 6.00
33. Cannibal Corpse - 6.08
32. Fahran - 6.13
31. Wednesday 13 - 6.14
30. Venom inc. - 6.35
29. Godtheymm - 6.36
28. At the Gates - 6.42
27. Emperor - 6.63
26. Onslaught - 6.64
25. Monument - 6.67
24. Alestorm - 6.67
23. Skiltron - 6.72
22. Demonic Resurrection - 6.75
21. Fozzy - 6.80
20. Vola - 7.0
19. Septic Flesh - 7.00
18. Orphaned Land - 7.00
17. Mr. Big - 7.08
16. Exhorder - 7.17
15. Orden Ogan - 7.18
14. Arkona - 7.18
13. Love Bites - 7.40
12. Doro - 7.44
11. Powertrip - 7.50
10. Conjurer - 7.60
9. Evergry - 7.73
8. Alien Weaponry - 7.75
7. Gojira - 7.81
6. Ingested - 8.0
5. Watain - 8.06
4. Kamelot - 8.40
3. Pallbearer - 8.50
2. Judas Priest - 8.61
1. Nightwish - 8.75

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm

I'm sorry but sub genre preferences aside, there should be no world where Fozzy have a higher rating than Emperor. I watched Fozzy in 2013 and they were shit so unless they have improved dramatically I refuse to believe they played a better set. And FYI I am a massive Chris Jericho fan so I don't have anything against the chap.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:11 am

thespis_mellie wrote:Great to catch up with Dakesis and Luke Appleton though and to finally meet Becky Baldwin who is lovely.

Wait... what? How on earth can you and Becky have never met before? I'm sure I've been in the same location as both of you at various points in the past.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

varangian
Warrior of Metal

Postby varangian » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:16 am

FeedTheRhino 1/10- shouldve been FeedtheKerrang crowd at Download
Onslaught 7.5/10- not great sound, bad weather but played their hearts out
Memoriam- 6.5/10 still raining heavy, better than on record
De Proufoundis-6/10 think i missed most due to power nap
Bloodbath-5/10 sorry didn't do it for me
Love Bites-8/10 looked great on main stage, bigger things await, talented
Suicidal Tendencies-9.5/10 -huge crowd, huge energy, very very enjoyable
Kamelot-8/10 crowd enjoying, forgot how many songs I knew
Emperor-4/10 Black metal played by office staff
Judas Priest 10/10 Sung/screamed myself hoarse to every song even the tunes I dont care for

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 am

florencethemachine wrote:I'm sorry but sub genre preferences aside, there should be no world where Fozzy have a higher rating than Emperor.

I'm not much of an Emperor fan, but I agree with this. I'm sorry. You just can't get away with lip synching at a metal show. The performance itself was OK, but he loses massive amounts of brownie points from me for miming.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thespis_mellie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Great to catch up with Dakesis and Luke Appleton though and to finally meet Becky Baldwin who is lovely.

Wait... what? How on earth can you and Becky have never met before? I'm sure I've been in the same location as both of you at various points in the past.

Yeah we've been in the same place at the same time but I was too nervous to approach her. Amie and Gemma introduced us and I found out she's really cool and down-to-earth.
Symphonic metal, joint-fronted by 'sopranos with balls' - http://www.aoniaband.co.uk

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 pm

varangian wrote:Emperor-4/10 Black metal played by office staff

What the fuck does that even mean??! Emperor were one of the forerunners of the 2nd wave of black metal, pretty much the first ever band to play that sort of atmospheric black metal.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Soze wrote:

What the fuck does that even mean??! Emperor were one of the forerunners of the 2nd wave of black metal, pretty much the first ever band to play that sort of atmospheric black metal.

Not a bad desciption of how they played - irrespective of their history - they were fairly non-descript and looked like the IT dept had formed a band
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:14 pm

someone else wrote:
Soze wrote:

Not a bad desciption of how they played - irrespective of their history - they were fairly non-descript and looked like the IT dept had formed a band

Sadly, yes.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:23 pm

florencethemachine wrote:I'm sorry but sub genre preferences aside, there should be no world where Fozzy have a higher rating than Emperor. I watched Fozzy in 2013 and they were shit so unless they have improved dramatically I refuse to believe they played a better set. And FYI I am a massive Chris Jericho fan so I don't have anything against the chap.

Re: Emperor, I didn't go to BOA but I saw them at Graspop last year, and as much as I absolutely love this band, them doing Anthems just wasn't that exciting. Nightside is an incredible album, but it's their best album by a massive distance, and the contrast between seeing Nightside played and Anthems was huge.

I hope they don't carry this on and do the whole of their diabolical 3rd and 4th albums.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:17 pm

someone else wrote:
Soze wrote:

Still, it's funny when the actual office staff at work ask, and you can point and say "him in the back ? murder; that one ? church burning. Him with the man-bun ? Well, he's the intellectual....
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019