The Good, The Bad and The Ugly BOA 2022

August 11 - 14, Catton Park, Derbyshire
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly BOA 2022

Postby Green Man III » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:57 pm

The Good:
Mercyful Fate!!!! That set made my whole weekend!
Other notable performances:
Inhuman Nature (got me moshing),
Bloodywood (Bloody Brilliant!),
Sister Shotgun (thanks for the selfie),
Cagefight (thank you also for the selfie, too bad we didn't get that third encounter to "talk about your lyrics"),
Novacrow (totally entertaining minus the bassist stripping down),
Tribe of Ghosts (nice and different),
Vio-Lence (totally woke me up), and
Venom Inc. (even with all the mistakes, Tony shouting out "testing testing" then giving up on narrating At War With Satan intro and all). There were plenty of bands that I saw and enjoyed but these were the ones that really stood out for me.

Met some new people and had some good conversations. However;

The Bad:
Did not feel people were as friendly as at other Bloodstocks. I know I'm shy and wander around as a lone wolf but I blame it on:

Everyone is saying it, the heat, but it was how it drained the energy out of everybody and spending most of the weekend just trying to stay hydrated, in shade, and not faint. Passing out during Butcher Babies and Dark Funeral, not because I found them boring, but because my body just couldn't take it anymore.

By Sunday I was completely sober and only drank water all day.

Also, with the shifting of bands and times on Sunday meant that I missed Heriot entirely after watching Venom Inc., there should've been at least 20 minutes left to their set.

Mabawsaritchie wrote:VIP goodie bags - first time I've felt they weren't worth queueing for and definitely not as good as previous years.

I totally agree with this. It was my first time going VIP and thought the goodie bag was absolutely rubbish. A BOA T-Shirt that didn't even state the year let alone any of the bands, I took my voucher as soon as I realized this and bought myself a proper BOA shirt. Then there was a guide to VIP, showing a long list of Ciders, of which there was only a fraction available, what was the point of all the false advertising?! Don't remember what else was in the bag, just some useless pieces of paper as far as I can remember.

The Ugly:
Also, I went to see the Cabaret, cause I thought why the fuck not, but after awhile I got fed up with the Drag King's terrible stereotyping of all men as perverts, and the rest of the show just started making me feel dirty, against my better judgement I should have left sooner.

The Toilets in VIP were cleaned constantly causing lineups but they still smelled like shit and piss.

And finally, too many inflatable dinosaurs are a liability. One major crash and I was an ugly sight for a few minutes until I got my chin straight and my lip to stop bleeding.

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:57 pm

It figures I'm always late to the party. Nobody is ever going to see that post, are they?

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:42 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I read it
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:56 pm

Green Man III wrote:It figures I'm always late to the party. Nobody is ever going to see that post, are they?

I read it too. It just reinforced my belief that VIP is not worth the extra dosh....

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:31 pm

:) Thanks.