Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:45 am

metalicbear wrote:Looking at headlining bands who have already been announced for Summer festivals, but no UK festival yet -

Bullet For My Valentine
Disturbed
Lamb of God
Parkway Drive
Airbourne
King Diamond
Manowar

So there is a 1/7 chance of getting a good final headliner? Filling me with hope here :lol:

Jay1993 wrote:Mastodon could be in with a shout too after their UK tour but I'm not sure if they're still headliner level?

I think the likes of Mastodon/Behemoth etc are ruled out by having tours in the new year. It's not scientific by any stretch but the last headliner I can think of who was announced the year of the festival was Machine Head in 2012; can't find any headliner (but plenty of subs) who did a tour earlier in the year either.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:20 am

JD_B3E5 wrote:To be honest, I'm really into old NYC Hardcore. So bands like Madball, Terror and Sick Of It All would go down with me rather well. I'm not sure what a lot of others would think though :?

That's my complaint with hardcore bands being booked. Sure, there is some crossover with metal fans, and it'll please some people. But it's not metal, and there's a (probably larger) subset of the Bloodstock attendees that won't appreciate it at all. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can take steps to avoid annoying them more than is necessary.

If we're booking non-metal bands that have some appeal to a subset of metal fans, I can think of plenty of better alternatives. I don't even mind the odd non-metal band being booked. Bloodstock have always done that occasionally (Glenn Hughes, Pro-jekt, Jesus Fix, etc.), and it's not a problem. But of late, we've been seeing several hardcore bands each year, which is definitely not a trend I want to see continue - even if it's watered down hardcore bands rather than the real thing.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Tet wrote: Bloodstock have always done that occasionally (Glenn Hughes, Pro-jekt, Jesus Fix, etc.), and it's not a problem.

I'd almost forgotten about Pro-jekt, god they were bloody awful! I remember they used to be support every goth gig 15 years ago, I assumed they're curled up and died, but apparently they're still going! :|

Unfortunately when shite like Hatebreed gets big crowds and keeps getting re-booked, then it sends a message to the organisers that hardcore is popular at BOA and they should book more of it and bands that are more hardcore than metal. Sad but true.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:16 pm

I think the organisers are starting to put their interests first before the festival to be honest, the fact that they're more concerned with selling their own brand of gym gear than BOA merch, the fact that the strongman comp is getting bigger every year despite pulling in weak crowds and getting little interest on social media when people are asking for the battle knights or wrestling more than that, the fact that they plug bands such as Body Count, Code Orange, King 810 and Five Finger Death Punch every week on social media, yet give very little air time to other bands. The fact that people have been asking for certain bands every year and don't get a look in, yet dross like Chelsea Grin, Bleed From Within, King 810, Stuck Mojo etc is increasingly filling the lineup and for what?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 am

Sharon from Within Temptation told the crowd "see you next summer at a big festival in England"

Download or final BOA headliner?

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:18 am

Reckon Download

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:47 pm

metalicbear wrote:I think the organisers are starting to put their interests first before the festival to be honest, the fact that they're more concerned with selling their own brand of gym gear than BOA merch, the fact that the strongman comp is getting bigger every year despite pulling in weak crowds and getting little interest on social media when people are asking for the battle knights or wrestling more than that, the fact that they plug bands such as Body Count, Code Orange, King 810 and Five Finger Death Punch every week on social media, yet give very little air time to other bands. The fact that people have been asking for certain bands every year and don't get a look in, yet dross like Chelsea Grin, Bleed From Within, King 810, Stuck Mojo etc is increasingly filling the lineup and for what?

What is it about gym bunnies and -core bands anyway ? Is it all of the testosterone or something ?

I do hope it isn't Within Temptation - going to see them tonight, and I reckon once in a year will be enough, especially as the new album isn't shaping well.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:19 pm

houston4044 wrote:Sharon from Within Temptation told the crowd "see you next summer at a big festival in England"

Download or final BOA headliner?

They're in Germany on Bloodstock Saturday, as I mentioned a few posts ago. Bloodstock also isn't a big festival so they'll certainly be at Download. Unless she was referring to Glastonbury or Reading/Leeds.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Think I`d rather a KK Downing spoken word as the last headliner than Within Temptation or what is passing as Slayer nowadays (Dare I say the KK Book is a fine read)

Just get Judas Priest back for the Saturday, I certainly didn't hear "Electric Eye" "The Sentinel" "A Touch of Evil" "Victim of Changes" or "Blood red skies" among others

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:19 am

varangian wrote:Think I`d rather a KK Downing spoken word as the last headliner than Within Temptation or what is passing as Slayer nowadays (Dare I say the KK Book is a fine read)

Just get Judas Priest back for the Saturday, I certainly didn't hear "Electric Eye" "The Sentinel" "A Touch of Evil" "Victim of Changes" or "Blood red skies" among others

I must say that Within Temptation were very, very good last night in Manchester. I could see them being a bit of a let down after a day of angrycore or extreme metal bands, however. Really you'd throw them on with Delain and HammerFall and make a day of it.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:50 am

But Within Temptation are in Germany on the Saturday of Bloodstock so they won't be here!

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Methuen wrote: I could see them being a bit of a let down after a day of angrycore or extreme metal bands, however.

can't see Bloodstock making that mistake :eyes:

dclizardking
Paster of Muppets

Postby dclizardking » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Slayer were brilliant in Newcastle last night. I really don't understand why so many people are against them playing BOA. Saying that they've played twice in the last 5 years so I would perhaps rather have someone else this year. I can see it being Lamb of God, a band I don't personally like but who seem to be very popular in the metal scene these days.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:43 pm

My issue with Slayer is that most of us have seen them multiple times over the years and they toured the UK and played festivals very regularly.

Much as I love them, their 2016 BOA set wasn't brilliant compared to previous years I have seen them.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:24 pm

It`s a very fair point CDW, dont get me wrong they would blow 99% of bands away but they've been seen on these shores very often and they are not the same band as twenty years ago in a live setting, sad as that is to write in print

A huge point being this thread keeps coming back to Slayer, LOG and Parkway drive because very little is being suggested on the Wishlist
I have absolutely no doubt that the promoters DO look and inhale the suggestions , it`s like the pay talks at work if they cannot get this act one year they can try for it the next (For example the Phil Mogg, UFO retirement show)
No way they could also for instance get the German Big four, but its a hope for next year as I`m sure "they" looked at it

But if you are going to moan afterward when some repeat or knuckle drag metal is given a headliner or special guest spot then you have to blame yourself for not putting your thoughts in. No good wanting King Diamond keeping it to yourself then kicking off on here that you aren't going because they have booked Parkway Drive.
Nobody asked for Code Orange or whatever they are called but unless you feed back then you`ll keep getting it, personal opinion would be something like the Misfits would go down a storm as a headliner. Similarly think classic hardcore say DRI would go down great like Suicidal Tendencies did this year, be nice to see SOD one year also.
In a way i`m glad Code Orange are on there for variation, not for me definitely but certainly as much as I like Black, Grindcore, Doom, Power I dont just want to hear the same genre all day.

So can we say for Saturday headliner and special guests over the weekend "perhaps between"- Dimmu Borgir, WASP, Accept, King Diamond, Helloween, Lamb of God, Airborne, Amon Amarth, Disturbed, Saxon, Manowar (Unlikely), Parkway Drive, Bullet for my Valentine, Volbeat, Behemoth, Phil Anselmo and the illegals(?), Krokus (!), Opeth (NO!), Alice Cooper, Soulfly and Europe