August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
pinhead0303
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement

Postby pinhead0303 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:24 pm

houston4044 wrote:
pinhead0303 wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Finally an announcement I can get excited about :D

Does Ross the Boss play his era Manowar material? Might be worth a shot I guess as it'll be the closest I get to seeing Manowar :lol:

Yes, that's exactly what he plays, with one or two of his own songs thrown in.

Cheers :yes: Any good live or just your standard "ex band member living of former glories"?

Well I certainly enjoyed them, as clearly visibly did most of the rest of the crowd. The band were having fun too and that makes a difference. Not sure how all that will translate to the main stage at a festival, but still should be a popular booking especially considering some of the crap that could've been booked.

bloodofthekings wrote:
As much as I love Manowar, Ross the Boss is an insufferable prick

That's interesting; I can't claim to know anything about Ross the Boss, but at the recent gig he was having a giggle at his own expense on stage when the singer was ribbing him about his old Manowar days, and I had a few words with him afterwards (as did quite a few people as he instantly got off the stage and started interacting with people) and I can say he came off as a really nice bloke. Maybe he's mellowed as he's got older!

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:49 pm

5 out of 5 headliners for me now, can't complain. Love Grand m
Magus so happy with that, not listened to much Metal Church or Death Angel so will check them out, not fussed about RtB and find Evil Scarecrow over rated even as a novelty band.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:51 pm

pinhead0303 wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:
As much as I love Manowar, Ross the Boss is an insufferable prick

That's interesting; I can't claim to know anything about Ross the Boss, but at the recent gig he was having a giggle at his own expense on stage when the singer was ribbing him about his old Manowar days, and I had a few words with him afterwards (as did quite a few people as he instantly got off the stage and started interacting with people) and I can say he came off as a really nice bloke. Maybe he's mellowed as he's got older!

He must be talking about himself...

Ross has been absolutely charming the few times I've met him over the years. That goes for all the Manowar members. They even bought us beer in Manchester a few years ago and signed merchandise for about two hours outside the Apollo.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Metal church and Death angel are an excellent booking, and Grand Magus have been good whenever I've caught them playing, but why do we have to put up with Evil scarecrow again? I'd much rather see Raised by owls take the 'comedy metal' slot than all that Robotron/Crabulon shite.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:49 pm

All are watchable, but nothing blows me away. Still, the lineup almost has enough for me to pick up a ticket already.

Interesting to note how many of the bands fit into an old school bloodstock vibe.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Pretty good announcement, Grand Magus are great and Ross The Boss will make up for not wanting to pay Manowar's ridiculous prices. Could've done without all the fucking stupid robot\crab dancing bollocks again though. Have they managed to actually pull a crowd outside of Bloodstock yet?
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:37 pm

From my understanding (I've never met him), Ross the Boss is a perfectly pleasant and friendly chap face to face with his fans, talking about music and the like. It's his online politics that rankle people, he's very right wing, a big supporter of Trump and very anti-Muslim. I've seen him post all sorts of racist clap trap on Facebook before, the sort of ill informed nonsense you'd find on a Britain First page. I saw a screenshot of a conversation he had with a German friend of mine on FB and it was quite alarming. But steer clear of politics and he's supposedly very amenable!

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Death Angel were top class in 2013, Grand Magus are a cracking Sophie Headliner and there's not a band in this announcement on my 'definitely not watching' list. If I was let loose with the Bloodstock budget, my bookings wouldn't look a million miles away from what we've got thus far

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Soze wrote:Ross the Boss is a perfectly pleasant and friendly chap face to face with his fans, talking about music and the like. It's his online politics that rankle people, he's very right wing, a big supporter of Trump and very anti-Muslim. I've seen him post all sorts of racist clap trap on Facebook

So he's a keyboard warrior then? :lol:

So let me get this right, one ex member is a bit of a racist and another one is allegedly a bit of a nounce? Fighting the World makes a lot more sense now :P

pinhead0303 wrote:Well I certainly enjoyed them, as clearly visibly did most of the rest of the crowd. The band were having fun too and that makes a difference. Not sure how all that will translate to the main stage at a festival, but still should be a popular booking especially considering some of the crap that could've been booked.

Ah in which case I'll probably give him a listen if I end up going :yes: Gave his stuff a quick listen but bit pointless if he just plays Manowar stuff

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 pm

He plays a few old songs, but his solo stuff Ive heartily nay massively enjoyed
If you like 80`s Manowar then you cant go wrong on it , really well written, just the vocalists are not Eric Adams
And yes Bizza seeing RTB is helluva better than paying out a Kings Ransom to see Manowar in April 2019!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Bizza wrote:Pretty good announcement, Grand Magus are great and Ross The Boss will make up for not wanting to pay Manowar's ridiculous prices. Could've done without all the fucking stupid robot\crab dancing bollocks again though. Have they managed to actually pull a crowd outside of Bloodstock yet?

I saw them last year at Amplified festival, it was a poorly event but even as one of the headliners they didn't draw one of the bigger crowds of the weekend, Soil pulled a bigger crowd than them for one :lol:

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Ross the Boss is a good booking, although I like Grand Magus, the Sophie headliners are on too late for me so won't be watching.

Keeping an eye on Alcatraz as they have just announced Powerwolf and Rose Tattoo, so might got there instead.

Bearintown
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Bearintown » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Why is Saturday always the worst day? So you cant come or /go early :x

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Bearintown wrote:Why is Saturday always the worst day? So you cant come or /go early :x

Just looked at the daily line ups and Saturday is fucking brutal - the other 2 days are damn fine though.

Big bag of cans for Saturday!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Bearintown wrote:Why is Saturday always the worst day? So you cant come or /go early :x