Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Re: Next Announcement

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:25 pm

I currently have 11 bands that I actively want to watch over the weekend.

Saturday is still the weak link for me with only Anthrax I want to see. Sophie stage is my best hope that day and poss the main stage headliner.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 pm

I forgot how bad the Sunday RJD line up was. I don't think I watched one single band on it for a more that a couple songs. Spent most of the day in the tents.

So far there is only four bands I wouldn't pay to watch - Tesseract, Code Orange, Thy Art Is Murder and Evil Scarecrow.

Even then I would possibly watch ES for a giggle. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:48 pm

JD_B3E5 wrote:I can see Demons & Wizards being the SGs on Friday for Sabaton.

Demons & Wizards are nothing in the UK, I doubt your average Bloodstocker has even heard of them. If neither Blind Guardian nor Iced Earth themselves can get a special guest slot there's no way their spin off band will.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:50 pm

I won't miss Skeletonwitch, always found them fairly average. Perhaps they'll contact Gama Bomb instead now :D

I gave Tesseract and Thy Art is Murder a listen last night, both pretty awful although I can imagine TAiM being popular. Tesseract didn't sound anything like I thought they would...very boring.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Soze wrote:
JD_B3E5 wrote:I can see Demons & Wizards being the SGs on Friday for Sabaton.

Demons & Wizards are nothing in the UK, I doubt your average Bloodstocker has even heard of them. If neither Blind Guardian nor Iced Earth themselves can get a special guest slot there's no way their spin off band will.

Blind Guardian did get special guests. Only 2 years ago. And Demons and Wizards, being a rarity, would probably at least get an hour. That said, I think if they were going to be booked they would have been announced by now, and I think the token power metal slots are all full.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Skippy wrote:
Soze wrote:Blind Guardian did get special guests. Only 2 years ago. And Demons and Wizards, being a rarity, would probably at least get an hour. That said, I think if they were going to be booked they would have been announced by now, and I think the token power metal slots are all full.

I thought they'd played 3rd top but yeah, you're right. Actually I'm amazed they got billed above Testament and from memory the latter had a much bigger crowd. Blind Guardian are one of my all time favourite bands but until fairly recently they've been virtual unknowns in the UK...although things have definitely changed for the better over the last half dozen years or so. I still doubt D&W would be a massive draw though.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:31 am

Soze wrote:I thought they'd played 3rd top but yeah, you're right. Actually I'm amazed they got billed above Testament and from memory the latter had a much bigger crowd. Blind Guardian are one of my all time favourite bands but until fairly recently they've been virtual unknowns in the UK...although things have definitely changed for the better over the last half dozen years or so. I still doubt D&W would be a massive draw though.

I think you've got that the wrong way around, Blind Guardian had a huge crowd, it was completely rammed at the front. I was surprised how big their crowd was considering how small Avantasia's was in '13; and it showed a power metal band can be special guests at BOA, if the pick the *right* one.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:23 am

Soze wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Soze wrote:Blind Guardian did get special guests. Only 2 years ago. And Demons and Wizards, being a rarity, would probably at least get an hour. That said, I think if they were going to be booked they would have been announced by now, and I think the token power metal slots are all full.

I thought they'd played 3rd top but yeah, you're right. Actually I'm amazed they got billed above Testament and from memory the latter had a much bigger crowd. Blind Guardian are one of my all time favourite bands but until fairly recently they've been virtual unknowns in the UK...although things have definitely changed for the better over the last half dozen years or so. I still doubt D&W would be a massive draw though.

FWIW I've been listening to metal for 15 years, and though power metal isn't really my thing I had literally never heard the name 'Demons and Wizards' until the Wacken announcement. I at least know by name if not music a ton of power metal bands too.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 am

Have Tesseract been confirmed for being special guests or is it the line up page not being correctly formatted?

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:50 am

houston4044 wrote:Have Tesseract been confirmed for being special guests or is it the line up page not being correctly formatted?

They weren't announced as such.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:13 pm

bloodfiend wrote:Tesseract I've never heard of either, I dunno what the fuck "djent" means, but it's obviously gonna be some hipster jazz prog techdeath wank bollocks

Ha ha. That's a surprisingly accurate summary. I'd never heard of them before the last time they played at Bloodstock, but having watched them then, it's fair to say they're not a band for me. I know plenty of people that will be happy to see them back, though.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:15 pm

jwh20 wrote:I want to want to go back to Bloodstock because it's a fun time, but either the lineups lately are crap or my tastes have gotten crap. Either is as likely as the other tbh.

Well, everyone's tastes are different, but I've felt much the same way about most of the Bloodstock lineups for the last 5 years. 2019 is looking far, far better than any other Bloodstock in recent times. I'm at 11/21 bands so far. That's staggeringly better than it's been for years.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Luciam
Powermetal Child

Postby Luciam » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:27 pm

houston4044 wrote:Have Tesseract been confirmed for being special guests or is it the line up page not being correctly formatted?

I'm guessing a screw up on the page, as I can't see them being above Children of Bodom.

They are on the same line as Bodom / Cradle of Filth on the poster though so I expect they'll be 4th from top

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Between the Buried amd Me just finished a tour with Tesseract. Would need a special guest slot though or theyd only get to play 3 songs. Would mean I'd finally get a bingo point

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:52 pm

some_thing_wild wrote:Between the Buried amd Me just finished a tour with Tesseract. Would need a special guest slot though or theyd only get to play 3 songs. Would mean I'd finally get a bingo point

I'd guess high on the second stage. Would be a shame for me, they've always left me a bit cold.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!