Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm

4th still seems too high for Tesseract (to me anyway), either way I'm avoiding them. Seen them about 4 times over the years and I've never been into them.

some_thing_wild wrote:Between the Buried amd Me... Would mean I'd finally get a bingo point

Think that's the only positive were they to play :P

Now that Skeletonwitch have gone there are only 5 bands I'd pay to see at their own show, unless they turn it around in the new year I'm out.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:02 am

When you look at other festivals and see that Tesseract are playing really low down, it baffles you. More Djent, hardcore, grindcore and metalcore bands keep getting booked. Meanwhile the Sophie stage isn't actually getting bigger, instead it's being filled with pub bands and a weightlifting show is bigger in space than the smaller stages. It makes you wonder what the organisers are thinking.

If they want to be Download-lite, any number of organisers could squash BOA within a couple of years aiming at the same size festival and market, whether it's livenation, festival Republic, Kilimanjaro/myticket or if the HRH or Damnation guys decided to take their events outdoors in the summer.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:45 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Soze wrote:I thought they'd played 3rd top but yeah, you're right. Actually I'm amazed they got billed above Testament and from memory the latter had a much bigger crowd. Blind Guardian are one of my all time favourite bands but until fairly recently they've been virtual unknowns in the UK...although things have definitely changed for the better over the last half dozen years or so. I still doubt D&W would be a massive draw though.

I think you've got that the wrong way around, Blind Guardian had a huge crowd, it was completely rammed at the front. I was surprised how big their crowd was considering how small Avantasia's was in '13; and it showed a power metal band can be special guests at BOA, if the pick the *right* one.

Not gonna lie, I love power metal but that Blind Guardian performance was the biggest yawnfest I've seen from a special guest since I started attending in 2011. I genuinely almost fell asleep standing up! Testament and Blind Guardian should have been swapped without a doubt imo.

As for this year, great start for me so far - 16 bands that I will more than happily pop along and see, which is probably already more than I have had on finished lineups for a few years now. Anthrax are always good fun even if they are an unimaginative booking, Dimmu are great (though I haven't got around to listening to the last album yet), I enjoy Tesseract from time to time too. No idea what Thy Art is Murder sound like but I know they will be popular with the more mainstream crowd having seen their name pop up a lot with people who aren't too deep into metal.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:18 pm

kanet666 wrote:Not gonna lie, I love power metal but that Blind Guardian performance was the biggest yawnfest I've seen from a special guest since I started attending in 2011. I genuinely almost fell asleep standing up! Testament and Blind Guardian should have been swapped without a doubt imo.

Woah. I thought Blind Guardian were fantastic...although they obviously suffered a bit from losing all their gear at customs. Still put on a great show though.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Testament's set was good, but Blind Guardian's set made my festival! Yes, they didn't have their kit (or t-shirts - damit!) but they played great.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:59 pm

From what I've heard about what was said in the FB Q&A the next announcement will be at some point in January and that the third headliners either hasn't played before or at least hasn't headlined before. Not sure if that is good or bad.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:59 pm

Parkway Drive then?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:49 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Parkway Drive then?

Unfortunately, yes.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Here's another name to boost people's optimism - Architects. UK tour in January and they are probably about the right size.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 am

Having had a little listen to both, I wouldn't mind Parkway Drive, they sound OK to me. I believe metal core is OK, I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of bands in that genre. Obviously if they are rubbish then I will walk on.

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 am

I've always hated Parkwqy drive but tbh the new album actually has some decent stuff on it. Wpuld prefer someone else but wouldnt be overly upset if it was them. Just means more bumper car time

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:14 am

fluffkitten wrote:From what I've heard about what was said in the FB Q&A the next announcement will be at some point in January and that the third headliners either hasn't played before or at least hasn't headlined before. Not sure if that is good or bad.

The only bands that seem a possibility would be Kreator or Devin and even then I think both would be a stretch. Would rule Behemoth out as they have done both.

Skippy wrote:Here's another name to boost people's optimism - Architects. UK tour in January and they are probably about the right size.

That Saturday would be all over the place in terms of bookings if they were booked :lol: They still aren't that far away from PwD though, it'd be a big booking no doubt but still would equally put me off

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 pm

i0th wrote:I'd def take Parkway Drive over Architects

actually, I would too. I would check PD out, at least for a bit, whereas I would actively avoid Architects.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Haven't heard of either are they in Kerrang ?

It`s gonna be Danzig, and even if it is some teenage knuckle dragging false-metal core Kerrang band i`ll be singing Danzig throughout the whole set

And just once more Danzig

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 pm

i0th wrote:I'd def take Parkway Drive over Architects

I'd take drinking back at the campsite over both, could drink in my back garden as well and save me some monies there to boot :eyes: