Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
minimustain
Warrior of Metal

Re: Next Announcement

Postby minimustain » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:46 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
metalicbear wrote:Have we ruled out Bullet for my Valentine yet?

I have, since they're arguably not a Metal band.

Then what are they N don't say shit or a rock band cause both of those are crap .
Bfmv are a metal band like it or not . There certainly more metal then baby metal lol.
I don't dislike nor do I overly like bullet but they could easily headline bloodstock next year.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:43 am

minimustain wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:
metalicbear wrote:Have we ruled out Bullet for my Valentine yet?

I have, since they're arguably not a Metal band.

Then what are they N don't say shit or a rock band cause both of those are crap .
Bfmv are a metal band like it or not . There certainly more metal then baby metal lol.
I don't dislike nor do I overly like bullet but they could easily headline bloodstock next year.

I agree they are a metal band, of course but headlining Bloodstock? They can't even headline Slam Dunk festival

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 am

BFMV are certainly headliner sized - they sub headlined Download's main stage as recently as 2018 putting them in the same ballpark as Nightwish, Alter Bridge, Deftones, Korn, Manson etc.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:25 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I would welcome King810 :ugh: back before BFMV!

Wow, what a hell of a choice that is :lol:

bloodofthekings wrote:They can't even headline Slam Dunk festival

Having been there a few times before and going next year, it's effectively a co-headliner type deal, 2 main stages of equal size and set length. Just position on the poster that's the main difference.

I know, I like something other than thrash :eyes:

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:09 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Then what are they N don't say shit or a rock band cause both of those are crap .

I agree they are a metal band, of course but headlining Bloodstock? They can't even headline Slam Dunk festival[/quote]
I
Haldamir319 wrote:BFMV are certainly headliner sized - they sub headlined Download's main stage as recently as 2018 putting them in the same ballpark as Nightwish, Alter Bridge, Deftones, Korn, Manson etc.

I agree that they're big enough to headline Bloodstock, but I don't think they're appropriate for the festival. It has been many years since I have paid any attention to Bullet for my Valentine, but I remember their lyrical themes didn't fit the music they were trying to play. It was Metalcore style music but lyrics worthy of Taking Back Sunday. Dom Lawson said in an album review of theirs in The Guardian from a couple of years ago that the lyrics are "not befitting of a man of Matt Tuck's age", and that's exactly what I remember of their early music. Most people I know who listen to them aren't Metal fans either - they listen to My Chemical Romance and whatever other Emo bands used to be popular. Maybe Bullet for my Valentine have become more Metal than I remember, but I have no intention of listening to them to find out.

Also, I think that the time when Bullet for my Valentine would have benefited from headlining Bloodstock has long since passed and the reaction would probably be similar to or worse than Trivium's set in 2015. If you look at bands who have recently headlined Bloodstock for the first time (Amon Amarth, Gojira, and Sabaton next year) then you'll see they've all worked their way up the bill over a few appearances. Ghost are a bit of an anomaly, but it was the perfect time for them to headline BOA before they became too big for it - they'll be headlining Download in 5 years. Bullet for my Valentine would just come out of nowhere with no connection to BOA, and does anyone even request/suggest them on any platform? :?

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:56 pm

BFMV are an interesting one as they seemed to appeal to metal and emo fans at their peak - I remember them being one of the only bands everyone in my friend group collectively enjoyed back in high school :lol: Whilst they're definitely a metal band and big enough to headline BOA, I agree that they probably wouldn't go down well there and aren't at a point in their career where they need to headline it anyway.

Nonetheless, I revisited The Poison album a couple of weeks ago and that stuff still rules! No shame. :lol:

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm

I am still trying to forget about the 2015 abomination that was Trivium!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:48 am

Jay1993 wrote:Nonetheless, I revisited The Poison album a couple of weeks ago and that stuff still rules! No shame. :lol:

Agree with this. I'm probably in the minority here but if they played The Poison in full with a few tracks from Scream Aim Fire as an encore I'd be perfectly happy to see them at BS. On the other hand, the album they released this year is the biggest load of dross I've ever heard. As mentioned before, the lyrical content is just asinine, especially when you remember it's a 40 year old bloke writing it. Plus the music is barely even metal these days it's more like electronic rock, along the lines of Bring Me The Horizon's new stuff.

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:34 pm

kurrupo wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:Nonetheless, I revisited The Poison album a couple of weeks ago and that stuff still rules! No shame. :lol:

Agree with this. I'm probably in the minority here but if they played The Poison in full with a few tracks from Scream Aim Fire as an encore I'd be perfectly happy to see them at BS. On the other hand, the album they released this year is the biggest load of dross I've ever heard. As mentioned before, the lyrical content is just asinine, especially when you remember it's a 40 year old bloke writing it. Plus the music is barely even metal these days it's more like electronic rock, along the lines of Bring Me The Horizon's new stuff.

I would love to see that, but perhaps not at Bloodstock for fear of them getting gobstopper'ed or something (not that it's right for that ever to be a possibility!) I'm not familiar with anything past Scream Aim Fire but based on your description I probably won't be delving into their recent stuff anytime soon :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:45 pm

Christ on a bike! :rolleyes:

They play Download nearly every year. Just go and see them there....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:35 pm

I wouldn't cross the road to watch BFMV.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

I doubt I would know a song by them. But I know they are one of those whiney Emo bands that was popular with the kids about ten years ago.

Wasn't it them that had a predominately female audience as all the young girls fancied the singer?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I doubt I would know a song by them. But I know they are one of those whiney Emo bands that was popular with the kids about ten years ago.

Wasn't it them that had a predominately female audience as all the young girls fancied the singer?

How can you class them as a whiney emo band if you don't even know a song by them? :lol: I definitely wouldn't class them as an emo band; more metalcore with a heavy thrash/groove influence from bands like Metallica and Pantera, similar to what Trivium do. I suppose some of their lyrics have an emo tinge to them, but on that basis you could class the whole sub-genre of depressive black metal as emo :lol: When I think of emo bands, bands like My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday and Hawthorne Heights are what come to mind.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:38 am

Jay1993 wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:I doubt I would know a song by them. But I know they are one of those whiney Emo bands that was popular with the kids about ten years ago.

How can you class them as a whiney emo band if you don't even know a song by them? :lol: I definitely wouldn't class them as an emo band; more metalcore with a heavy thrash/groove influence from bands like Metallica and Pantera, similar to what Trivium do. I suppose some of their lyrics have an emo tinge to them, but on that basis you could class the whole sub-genre of depressive black metal as emo :lol: When I think of emo bands, bands like My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday and Hawthorne Heights are what come to mind.

I don't know a song by Take That either. But I know what they sound like as I've heard them. Likewise BFMV. I've heard them, but I couldn't tell you the song titles as I don't listen to them. I must have missed all the hit singles they never had...

Even Wiki descibes them as Emo in quite a few places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_for_My_Valentine

Not on Encyclopaedia Metallium so not Metal.

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:

I don't know a song by Take That either. But I know what they sound like as I've heard them. Likewise BFMV. I've heard them, but I couldn't tell you the song titles as I don't listen to them. I must have missed all the hit singles they never had...

Even Wiki descibes them as Emo in quite a few places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_for_My_Valentine

Not on Encyclopaedia Metallium so not Metal.

If we're going by your first argument, Wiki describes them more frequently as metal than emo:

"BFMV are a Welsh heavy metal band"

"Genres: Metalcore, heavy metal, thrash metal, hard rock"

"BFMV have been described as metalcore, heavy metal, thrash metal, hard rock, emo, screamo, alternative metal and post-hardcore"

And if we're going by your second argument, they're listed on Metal Storm which is an alternative to Encyclopaedia Metallium ;)