Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement

Postby kurrupo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:47 am

Powerwolf should be good, never seen them before so looking forward to them. Really don't rate Soulfly so will be giving them a miss. Don't know anything by Swallow the Sun or Incite

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:49 am

Initially surprised that Powerwolf are special guests, they've never hit the top 100 in the UK...but their star is growing and they're bound to appeal to Sabaton fans so it makes sense in retrospect. Good band who I probably won't be able to catch on their current tour so happy with that.

The other 3 I don't really care about although I'll probably watch Soulfly in the hope of an old Seps tune or two.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am

Swallow the Sun - they've actually announced a band I like and listen to. Chucking a doom band like them on the mainstage during the early hours of the afternoon is a bit weird. They're actually under Evil Scarecrow - what a joke. Maybe some other UK dates around the festival then.

It baffles me that people like Powerwolf that much. A reasonable joke the first time I saw them - the second and third at festivals the joke has worn very thin and there was nothing else that interested me. Boring music.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:05 pm

i0th wrote:Liking Swallow the Sun, though opening the Dio is a bit of a pisser for this sound.

I'm sure they won't be opening, they've just been announced as in an "early" slot, the bands who open are almost always much smaller bands.

They played fairly early on the main stage in the daytime last time they were here, and went down pretty well. It's a crime that they're below Evil Scarecrow, I know ES will probably get a large crowd, but we reached the end of that joke a long time ago.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Soze wrote:Initially surprised that Powerwolf are special guests, they've never hit the top 100 in the UK...but their star is growing and they're bound to appeal to Sabaton fans so it makes sense in retrospect. Good band who I probably won't be able to catch on their current tour so happy with that.

They've only got big since people stopped buying CDs though, so chart positions is a bit misleading in that respect; the proof is in venues and attendances these days, and they've clearly got a lot bigger over here recently.

Them in SG may be a slight surprise, but nowhere near as much as when Behemoth headlined in 2012.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Powerwolf are an excellent band and long overdue a return. Special guests though? I feel like Bloodstock have run out of money.

Swallow the Sun I've wanted to see for ages, and them being booked has probably confirmed my attendance. Think they'd be better high up in the Sophie stage though, they don't seem suited to the early afternoon sun.

Soulfly are dire, the Cavaleras have always been dire and I'll avoid them like the plague.

Incite are even worse. I'd never heard of them, but I've listen to them and they sound dreadful. 5 albums and you still only get mainstage because of a famous father? Hmm
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:06 pm

jwh20 wrote:Swallow the Sun - they've actually announced a band I like and listen to.

It baffles me that people like Powerwolf that much. Boring music.

I'd say exactly the same about Swallow the Sun - each to their own!!

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:15 pm

I dont normally like power metal but saw Powerwolf in 2010 and they were fun so happy there is something high up the lineup on Friday I can see in case I dont like the sophie headliner

Not into the rest

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:37 pm

A good announcement I would say. At least one of the four will interest most people. The line up is looking great so far

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Baldy77 wrote:A good announcement I would say. At least one of the four will interest most people. The line up is looking great so far

I would agree. The line up this year is very diverse and very good. Personally I'm already happy with who they have announced despite that I don't like all the bands.

Hands down a much much stronger lineup than last year. By a clear mile! I personally will look forward to Soulfly (meh, shoot me!), though would have preferred Cavaleras do Sepultura.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:15 pm

With regards to the Saturday headliner, when Vicky said it was a band who had never played before did she mean Bloodstock Open Air or Bloodstock in general? My point being that while Saxon headlined the first indoor Bloodstock in 2001 they haven't played at Bloodstock Open Air yet.

EDIT: actually they did play in 2009 and 2014.
Last edited by Black Wizard on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Black Wizard wrote:With regards to the Saturday headliner, when Vicky said it was a band who had never played before did she mean Bloodstock Open Air or Bloodstock in general? My point being that while Saxon headlined the first indoor Bloodstock in 2001 they haven't played at Bloodstock Open Air yet.

They played third down one of the days in 2014.

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Powerwolf really aren't for me and I've given them ago a couple of times over the years.

Swallow the Sun are a good signing for me even if they are low down the order. I'd rather they were on later considering some of the bands that get later slots.

Soulfly and Incite are barrel scraping, feels like somebody wants to hang out with the Cavaleras back stage.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Black Wizard wrote:With regards to the Saturday headliner, when Vicky said it was a band who had never played before did she mean Bloodstock Open Air or Bloodstock in general? My point being that while Saxon headlined the first indoor Bloodstock in 2001 they haven't played at Bloodstock Open Air yet.

???????

They played BOA in 2009 and 2014.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Oops. :rolleyes: I didn't notice that when I scanned the old line-ups earlier. :?