Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Cassius » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm

i0th wrote:
Cassius wrote:I dont normally like power metal but saw Powerwolf in 2010 and they were fun so happy there is something high up the lineup on Friday I can see in case I dont like the sophie headliner

Grand Magus are the Sophie headliner on Friday.

Oh yeah I forgot.

In that case Powerwolf save me from having a very early finish with bands on Friday

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:25 pm

I've heard of Powerwolf, Soulfly and Swallow the Sun but never listened to them before this announcement. I wasn't sure I'd like Powerwolf based on their description of being a power metal band but I'm currently checking out their latest album and liking the gothic tinge to their sound. Like others, I'm surprised to see them in the special guest slot as I didn't realize they were that big but they'll compliment Sabaton perfectly and appear to be heavily requested on this forum.

I sense a theme between the days this year with Friday being the power/melodic day, Saturday as the contemporary/heavy day and Sunday as the classic day.

Now to check out Soulfly and STS along with Incite who I've never heard of! Overall a good, mixed announcement!

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Think Sabaton should sing all about Vampires and Werewolves whilst Powerwold should sing about WWII and confuse us all :lol:

Havent enjoyed anything from Max since Nailbomb, odd decision

Not heard the other two , actually enjoy not knowing and being enlightened or surprised!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Now to check out Soulfly and STS along with Incite who I've never heard of! Overall a good, mixed announcement!

A good announcement. Yet by your own admission you haven't listened to the bands and haven't even heard of one of them... :?

Powerwolf special guests? How? Mid afternoon band at best. I doubt the vast majority of attendees would even know a song by them no matter how big they are in Germany. Both them and Tesseract are well above their proper placing in the line up.

As much as I used to love original Sepultura, Soulfly are utter wank. And I see nepotism is alive and well with booking Incite. :rolleyes:

Swallow The Sun are alright, but surely would be much better with a high slot in the tent.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:43 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Swallow The Sun are alright, but surely would be much better with a high slot in the tent.

I've seen Swallow the Sun in the open air before now - their gothy-doomy thing doesn't really work in the sunshine - it needs dark and a decent fog machine & light show.

Excellent music mind, but a strange choice for the early slots on the big stage.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Powerwolf special guests? How? Mid afternoon band at best. I doubt the vast majority of attendees would even know a song by them no matter how big they are in Germany. Both them and Tesseract are well above their proper placing in the line up.

As much as I used to love original Sepultura, Soulfly are utter wank. And I see nepotism is alive and well with booking Incite. :rolleyes:

Swallow The Sun are alright, but surely would be much better with a high slot in the tent.

Powerwolf at special guests is maybe a slight stretch, but saying they're mid afternoon at best is just ridiculous. They're massively popular at the moment, and no band that packs out the Koko plays mid afternoon. And I'm sure the majority of attendees WOULD know a song by them.

Powerwolf are more popular than Dimmu over here right now I'd say, so SG isn't too much for them in that respect. Anthrax are far bigger than both of the SGs though, so it's rather unbalanced in that way.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Powerwolf special guests? How? Mid afternoon band at best. I doubt the vast majority of attendees would even know a song by them no matter how big they are in Germany. Both them and Tesseract are well above their proper placing in the line up.

Powerwolf are more popular than Dimmu over here right now I'd say, so SG isn't too much for them in that respect. Anthrax are far bigger than both of the SGs though, so it's rather unbalanced in that way.

Not sure they're bigger than Dimmu. Powerwolf are playing a 750 capacity venue in Birmingham with a fairly popular support act (Amaranthe) and it hasn't sold out. I'd think that Dimmu could draw a bigger attendance than that. If I had to guess before today I would've said 3rd or 4th down. Don't particularly mind them being SGs though, I'll be watching them anyway, just a bit surprised. In regards to placements though, the one that still baffles me is Tesseract being 3rd down

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:Now to check out Soulfly and STS along with Incite who I've never heard of! Overall a good, mixed announcement!

A good announcement. Yet by your own admission you haven't listened to the bands and haven't even heard of one of them... :?

I'm being objective rather than subjective. :lol:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Jay1993 wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:

I'm being objective rather than subjective. :lol:

Last time I saw Dimmu headline in London they were playing the moderately sized Islington Academy, to play a bigger venue they had to play with Kreator recently. Their nowhere near as popular as they were 10 years ago, so it's really bizarre them being SG and Cradle Of Filth being third down.

They're 2 very different cases, Dimmu's career plateaued and tailed off a longtime ago, whereas Powerwolf are on a huge upwards trajectory right now.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Middling announcement for me.

Soulfly are great on paper but Max hasn't been good live for a few years so can't imagine them being great (though I'd probably see them given haven't got much else line up wise).

Incite are alright, not bad but not great either; without having the Max connection they wouldn't be as big as they're.

Powerwolf are ok, seem ok from what I've heard but not a draw for me.

Swallow the Sun are mixed, songs range from good to awful but can't see this going down well on main; seems like something more suited to Sophie.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Cassius wrote:In that case Powerwolf save me from having a very early finish with bands on Friday

Are you saying you like Powerwolf but not Sabaton? Each to their own of course but I find that quite odd, the two bands are very much treading the same boards.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 am

Just listened to the bands just announced and there is nothing for me to get excited about.

I am not sure what I expected of Powerwolf but they are pretty disappointing. I will listen to a few more songs today but they are a baffling SG choice based on what I heard so far.

STS and Ignite are totally meh.

Soulfy I dun't mind but I have heard mixed reviews of their live shows.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:10 am

Soze wrote:
Cassius wrote:In that case Powerwolf save me from having a very early finish with bands on Friday

Are you saying you like Powerwolf but not Sabaton? Each to their own of course but I find that quite odd, the two bands are very much treading the same boards.

Bit weird I know though im mainly basing this on enjoying Powerwolf last time they played Bloodstock. I dont really listen to either band on record

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:27 am

Soze wrote:
jwh20 wrote:Swallow the Sun - they've actually announced a band I like and listen to.

It baffles me that people like Powerwolf that much. Boring music.

I'd say exactly the same about Swallow the Sun - each to their own!!

They just seem to be a joke band. Nothing great about them musically, the songs are amusing the first time, dull once that's worn off. If people are gonna complain about Evil Scarecrow and rave over Powerwolf then I don't understand where they're coming from.

Are we this bereft of a whole 6 middle sized metal bands a year that we have to rely on joke bands and kerrang/download bands like parkway drive/airbourne/BFMV (or at least have to worry about it)to fill out the headliners/special guests?

I can understand why Swallow the Sun aren't for everyone. I can't understand how they think putting a gothy doom band whose last album was three hours long on at 1pm is a good idea.
Last edited by jwh20 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:30 am

jwh20 wrote:
Soze wrote:
jwh20 wrote:Swallow the Sun - they've actually announced a band I like and listen to.

It baffles me that people like Powerwolf that much. Boring music.

I'd say exactly the same about Swallow the Sun - each to their own!!

They just seem to be a joke band. Nothing great about them musically, the songs are amusing the first time, dull once that's worn off. If people are gonna complain about Evil Scarecrow and rave over Powerwolf then I don't understand where they're coming from.

I can understand why Swallow the Sun aren't for everyone. I can't understand how they think putting a gothy doom band whose last album was three hours long on at 1pm is a good idea.

The comparison between Evil Scarecrow and Powerwolf will always be a subjective one but to me, Powerwolf have the songs to back up the comedy element whereas Evil Scarecrow don't. Plus, Evil Scarecrow seem to play almost every year whereas Powerwolf haven't played since 2010 and have been regularly requested on here every year since then