Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
The comparison between Evil Scarecrow and Powerwolf will always be a subjective one but to me, Powerwolf have the songs to back up the comedy element whereas Evil Scarecrow don't.

I think most would agree there - the comparison isn't really valid as you're comparing apples and pears really; one got famous through a live show and the other got famous via their songs.

Evil Scarecrow developed a following based on their live show, then had the chance to capitalise on this on with an album, but the album they released a few years ago showed they can't write a good song for shit, thus they're pretty much reached the limit of how big they'll get now, and their career is likely to tail off as people get bored of their live show.

Powerwolf have a live show/image, but their entire career isn't based on it like Evil Scarecrow, and Powerwolf's music is what got them big.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 am

i0th wrote:Fuck it, I like both Powerwolf and Evil Scarecrow.

As in like Evil Scarecrow live or actually like listening to them on record? Cos I dunno anyone who actually likes their records.

Evil Scarecrow remind me a bit of that awful Conquest Of Steel band, i.e. fun to watch live, but fucking awful on record.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:02 am

I've never considered Powerwolf a joke or novelty band, they write good songs. I don't even know what their live show is like, have never seen them.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:04 pm

I think there's a distinction to be made between gimmicky and novelty acts. Powerwolf are gimmicky (everything's themed around werewolves and similar such things), but their songs are genuinely good power metal / melodic heavy metal tunes.

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Excellent, there will be more room for me as people goto see other bands when Evil Scarecrow are on!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Soze wrote:I've never considered Powerwolf a joke or novelty band, they write good songs. I don't even know what their live show is like, have never seen them.

I was going to say, I musn't have been paying enough attention to them as I hadn't realized that they were a comedy band.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm

I like the look of the line-up so far. Both headliners are great and there's a good mix of genres instead of the wall of Death and Black Metal bands I've been subjected to over the last couple of years. Something for everyone!

Saturday looks poor overall though. Anthrax are great of course and I like Swallow the Sun, but everything in between is shit. There are still three bands including a headliner to be announced for Saturday though, so things could turn around. Architects or Parkway Drive would be crap headliners in my opinion, but with the Saturday headliner apparently destined to be a band who have never played at BOA before I am not filled with hope. The only other possibility I can think of is Volbeat who I'm not a fan of but have enjoyed them live before.

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Black Wizard wrote:there's a good mix of genres instead of the wall of Death and Black Metal bands I've been subjected to over the last couple of years.

A-fucking-Men to that.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm

cheesemason wrote:Powerwolf as Special Guests is mind boggling - surely nowhere near big enough

They're bigger than you think. If you look at the other special guests in the last few years, they're in roughly the same ballpark; Dimmu Borgir, Arch Enemy, Blind Guardian, Kreator, Emperor, At The Gates, Cannibal Corpse. Yes, they're probably towards the lower end of that pack. But they sold out Koko (1500 capacity) in November, and have sold out ~750-1000 capacity venues elsewhere in the country on their current tour. They have quite decent pulling power in the UK right now, and their star is definitely in ascendance at the moment. They're a great booking.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Powerwolf remind me of Sabaton in that respect - they are two of a small group of bands that are steadily still increasing their profile here (Amon Amarth would be another I'd include in that group too).

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:51 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:there's a good mix of genres instead of the wall of Death and Black Metal bands I've been subjected to over the last couple of years.

A-fucking-Men to that.

Although most of the Sophie stage is still to be announced! :lol: Plus many of the bands I've come across in New Blood tend to be quite brutal too.

Haldamir319 wrote:Powerwolf remind me of Sabaton in that respect - they are two of a small group of bands that are steadily still increasing their profile here (Amon Amarth would be another I'd include in that group too).

And Gojira, probably Alestorm too.

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:

A-fucking-Men to that.

Although most of the Sophie stage is still to be announced! :lol: Plus many of the bands I've come across in New Blood tend to be quite brutal too.

Haldamir319 wrote:Powerwolf remind me of Sabaton in that respect - they are two of a small group of bands that are steadily still increasing their profile here (Amon Amarth would be another I'd include in that group too).

And Gojira, probably Alestorm too.

I would say Alestorm have plateaued - they're basically a more successful version of Evil Scarecrow and are essentially a walking Facebook meme at this point.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:07 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I would say Alestorm have plateaued - they're basically a more successful version of Evil Scarecrow and are essentially a walking Facebook meme at this point.

All these Evil Scarecrow comparisons are baffling! Just cos a band might have a theme (ie Powerwolf with the werewolves and Alestorm with the pirates) doesn't automatically make them a talentless joke band like ES.

The fact that, like Powerwolf, Alestorm's profile has risen, they play bigger and bigger venues and their albums chart highly, prove that it's not just a live gimmick and that they have a significant fan base who enjoy the music. Evil Scarecrow have been plugged to death by Bloodstock, and draw in big crowds at the festival because of their live show and gimmicks.... they will never have chart hits though and are highly unlikely to play bigger venues that they do now, because they can't write a good song to save their lives, and their profile will likely trail off as people become boring with their increasingly samey live show.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Powerwolf is an amazing booking for me.

Friday is definitely looking the strongest day, even if Tesseract stick out like a sore thumb. Soulfly would probably fit in better on the Saturday too. Swallow the Sun being lower than Evil Scarecrow is criminal, surely sub-headling the Sophie stage would be better for StS. Apart from Scorpions and Dee, Sunday is looking a bit meh at the moment and with only a few main bands to br announced, I'm undecided as to whether I will buy a ticket or not.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 pm

Soze wrote:Are you saying you like Powerwolf but not Sabaton? Each to their own of course but I find that quite odd, the two bands are very much treading the same boards.

Which makes the choice of Tesseract even weirder, would of thought it better to swap them and Bodom round so you get a similar close to the day.