Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
JB65
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement

Postby JB65 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:46 am

Splatterthrash wrote:The TROO METAL internet crying brigade is out. Sorry to tell you but music evolves. They are the heaviest band out of the three headliners on a heavy metal festival and I can bet just like Ghost they will pull a huge crowd who will love them. Give them a chance, if not go get a beer, get some food or have a kip and and wait for the headliner on the second stage. I'm not a fan of Code Orange or Evil Scarecrow but I'll find something else to watch when they're one.

I say good on Bloodstock for trying to find different headliners. Surely better than continuously rotating the same headline acts every few years.

Seeing as this festival is the alternative to download for the TROO/CVLT/ELITIST metal fans yeah, I can see why they getting a bit pissed off, Stuff like code Orange, Whitechaple, King810, Skindred and Park Hall Road are all bands no one wanted/asked for on the whole
I understand it's down to availability when booking bands, but there are bands that people have wanted for years or are really good up and coming bands that get overlooked in favour of stuff no one wants. Bloodstock has always been different and was the alternative to Download, but i fear it will turn into a watered down version.

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am

Can you please book Die Antwoord for the main stage. They'd go down a storm

Everdreamer1990
Lowly Peon

Postby Everdreamer1990 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:13 am

The line up as a whole is not for me this year. I'll most likely get a Fri day ticket for Powerwolf & Sabaton.

I know there's loads more bands to be announced but there is not enough for me to buy a weekend ticket. It's a shame as I loved last year but you can't please everybody all the time.

2007 was my first BOA & that, for me personally, was a great line up. I understand the festival has to grow & change in order to stay afloat but I can also see why fans who have been attending since day 1 are annoyed by bands like PD playing.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:34 am

Splatterthrash wrote:The TROO METAL internet crying brigade is out. Sorry to tell you but music evolves. They are the heaviest band out of the three headliners on a heavy metal festival and I can bet just like Ghost they will pull a huge crowd who will love them. Give them a chance, if not go get a beer, get some food or have a kip and and wait for the headliner on the second stage. I'm not a fan of Code Orange or Evil Scarecrow but I'll find something else to watch when they're one.

I say good on Bloodstock for trying to find different headliners. Surely better than continuously rotating the same headline acts every few years.

Damn those metal fans, wanting metal bands at their metal festival.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:24 am

Jesus wept, we all knew it was coming and it's hardly the end of the world. Before this everyone was saying how it was the strongest lineup in years, and an hour and half of one band you don't like shouldn't change that. Whether you like them or not they're most definitely a metal band, and while it might not be the usual form of metal we see at BS they deserve the spot they've been given. It certainly doesn't signal any beginning of the end for the festival. I'll give them a chance and if they're rubbish I'll go do something else. Simple isn't it!

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:43 am

Some are overreacting, but this forums reaction is 1000% more measured than Facebook.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:53 am

Happy with the announcement. 'Reverence' was a really good heavy metal album from last year, and in recent shows that album has been making up around half their set (with another quarter from 'Ire', the album before, which is also more heavy metal than metalcore).

I'm actually happy BOA are taking a chance with a different headliner. One of my biggest gripes with Download is the recycling of bands at the top of their bills (admittedly, there's only so many the right size).

People wanted a heavy band to sit between Sabaton and Scorpions, and PD are certainly heavy. If it's not your bag, that's fine - the Bloodstock Arms / Lemmy's Bar is a very welcoming place. They are also one band in, what, 120 ish? If PD headlining means you aren't going, then the line-up probably isn't for you this year anyway?

So, yeah, good for me. Onto the next announcement. :)

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Methuen wrote:

Damn those metal fans, wanting metal bands at their metal festival.

But Parkway Drive are metal. Considerably more than Scorpions to be honest.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Music does evolve. But how you can suggest that Ghost is part of that evolution when they sound like a piss poor 1970s band is baffling. They were the worse BOA headliners by a country mile. Awful.

BTW Parkway Drive aren't really Metal and if they are the future then why do they sound like a poor man's NWOAHM band from twenty years ago? I know Australia is a bit backward culturally, but not normally twenty years behind.

Put it this way, if they were British they wouldn't have got off the pub scene. Bog standard generic "Modern Metal" hyped up by Kerrang! If you are over fifteen and like them then I seriously think you need to start listening to better music.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Here comes the ridiculous age association argument. Sorry to burst the bubble but I saw Parkway Drive last week and the crowd varied from kids to old people in Cannibal Corpse shirts. Plus whether people think they're the future of metal or not, they are metal. I even recall someone saying they sound like a poor man's NWOAHM from 20 years ago.

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:18 pm

Just to point out as well. Just because a band uses influences from the past it doesn't mean they're not forward thinking. You could use the old influences argument against 90% of the bill

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:22 pm

And finally, when it comes down to it, this is the line up we're getting so too bad if people don't like it. Nobody will ever be happy until they invent personal virtual reality festivals. Enjoy the festival people.

Winston.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:05 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:Some are overreacting, but this forums reaction is 1000% more measured than Facebook.

Oh yeah, I completely agree. My comment was more just a reaction to general reaction everywhere. Facebook is embarrassing at the moment, much prefer reading these forums forums than social media.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:19 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:

Music does evolve. But how you can suggest that Ghost is part of that evolution when they sound like a piss poor 1970s band is baffling. They were the worse BOA headliners by a country mile. Awful.

BTW Parkway Drive aren't really Metal and if they are the future then why do they sound like a poor man's NWOAHM band from twenty years ago? I know Australia is a bit backward culturally, but not normally twenty years behind.

Put it this way, if they were British they wouldn't have got off the pub scene. Bog standard generic "Modern Metal" hyped up by Kerrang! If you are over fifteen and like them then I seriously think you need to start listening to better music.

Ghost were really good. Fair enough if you don't like them, but to say they were the worst by a country mile, when we've had Trivium and Down be underwhelming as hell and an absolutely atrocious Motorhead performance too (one of the poorest displays of live performance I've ever witnessed) seems a bit much.

Parkway Drive are certainly metal. I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore? This is pretty typical of their sound on the last album or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_8ZY89dP4
or:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAY2bCmm8e0

It's metal. Yes, it's contemporary metal, which you might not like, but to say it isn't metal is frankly ridiculous.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Ghost were really good. Fair enough if you don't like them, but to say they were the worst by a country mile, when we've had Trivium and Down be underwhelming as hell and an absolutely atrocious Motorhead performance too (one of the poorest displays of live performance I've ever witnessed) seems a bit much.

Parkway Drive are certainly metal. I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore? This is pretty typical of their sound on the last album or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_8ZY89dP4
or:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAY2bCmm8e0

It's metal. Yes, it's contemporary metal, which you might not like, but to say it isn't metal is frankly ridiculous.

Motorhead were poor due to illness. When they were actually onstage they were vastly better than the majority of headliners we have had.

Trivium were just average. I don't like them at all, but they came across as a band that became too big for what they are, which is a small club band at best.

Ghost were a pile of steaming shit. Not even anything to do with musical taste. They spent the majority of the time with backing tracks, kids choirs or whatever was happening. I watched them for about half an hour before I even heard a proper note being played.

An hour and a half set which lasted for 40 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFbCAVGyW6Q

Did I say they were shit? Well I'll say it again. They were shit.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp