Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Ghost were really good. Fair enough if you don't like them, but to say they were the worst by a country mile, when we've had Trivium and Down be underwhelming as hell and an absolutely atrocious Motorhead performance too (one of the poorest displays of live performance I've ever witnessed) seems a bit much.

Parkway Drive are certainly metal. I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore? This is pretty typical of their sound on the last album or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_8ZY89dP4
or:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAY2bCmm8e0

It's metal. Yes, it's contemporary metal, which you might not like, but to say it isn't metal is frankly ridiculous.

Motorhead were poor due to illness. When they were actually onstage they were vastly better than the majority of headliners we have had.

Trivium were just average. I don't like them at all, but they came across as a band that became too big for what they are, which is a small club band at best.

Ghost were a pile of steaming shit. Not even anything to do with musical taste. They spent the majority of the time with backing tracks, kids choirs or whatever was happening. I watched them for about half an hour before I even heard a proper note being played.

An hour and a half set which lasted for 40 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFbCAVGyW6Q

Did I say they were shit? Well I'll say it again. They were shit.

Yet you stayed to watch them. Not sure what you were watching for 30 minutes before a proper note was played but it wasnt Ghost live. The 30 minutes was actually a backing tape during the set changeover

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:07 pm

I thought Ghost were really good. In my opinion the worst headliner I've seen at Bloodstock is Lamb of God, which is probably just because my personal tastes - there's nothing in their boring music I like. Like Gandalf said, Trivium were average - very wooden and unengaging. Rob Zombie and Mastodon were much the same. I didn't bother with Down. The one that runs them close is the absolute shambles of a headline spot Bodom put on in 2010 - getting hammered and playing Bon Jovi is not the way to headline Bloodstock.

As for Parkway, after watching a few videos I'm looking forward to them. They are hilarious! All their videos are just the bloke's face, its great! The lyrical all just sound like a teenage temper tantrum as well, it'd be so much fun.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Splatterthrash wrote:The TROO METAL internet crying brigade is out. Sorry to tell you but music evolves. They are the heaviest band out of the three headliners on a heavy metal festival and I can bet just like Ghost they will pull a huge crowd who will love them. Give them a chance, if not go get a beer, get some food or have a kip and and wait for the headliner on the second stage. I'm not a fan of Code Orange or Evil Scarecrow but I'll find something else to watch when they're one.

I say good on Bloodstock for trying to find different headliners. Surely better than continuously rotating the same headline acts every few years.

My thoughts entirely. I'll probably watch at least some of Parkway Drive's set. Regardless of my personal tastes. I like seeing headline slots given to bands who havent played a gazillion times before and possibly appeal to a demographic that i'm not a part of. I still think this is the strongest Bloodstock mainstage line-up yet.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:An hour and a half set which lasted for 40 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFbCAVGyW6Q

Did I say they were shit? Well I'll say it again. They were shit.

Usually agree with most of what you say on these forums, but that's a blatant lie. That video is only half of the songs they played. The full setlist was 14 full songs

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ghost/20 ... 50bb7.html

Ghost use a long intro track played over the PA instead of normal songs during the switch over to their set so I can understand why people get confused. They were great headliners though and everyone in our camp agreed, even the ones who didn't like them prior to the performance. All about opinions, and one person's is no more valid than another's

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Ghost were boring as fuck, I watched the full set in the hope something would happen, but nothing did. 1st and only time I'll ever watch them.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:12 pm

I enjoyed Ghost's set. It was an average Bloodstock headline show, which made it good.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Ghost did nothing for me, I lasted through the god awful intro and the first 2 songs and wandered off the the VIP bar.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Splatterthrash wrote:But Parkway Drive are metal. Considerably more than Scorpions to be honest.

Ha ha ha. No.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Tet wrote:
Splatterthrash wrote:But Parkway Drive are metal. Considerably more than Scorpions to be honest.

Ha ha ha. No.

Haha. Yes.

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Scorpions are a hard rock band.Parkway Drive are a metal band. Not saying they're as good but definitely more metal.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Scorpions are a heavy metal band, one of the quintessential definitions of it in the 80s - regardless of whether thrash, death, black etc is 'heavier' doesn't change this any more than it requires Maiden or Dio to be re-aligned as anything other than heavy metal despite being more lightweight than the other spin offs..
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Hard rock band to me and overrated. Never saw the huge appeal in supposed classic songs like Rock You Like A Hurricane and especially The Zoo. That's one boring song.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Scorpions are definitely a metal band. Not particularly heavy in today's terms but definitely metal. In my opinion both Scorpions and Parkway Drive are metal bands, but just completely different styles. Either way the whole 'metal or not metal' debate is asinine

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Hoping for Bring Me The Horizon next year..

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Aye - the difference is that PWD are big in a crowd that a good chunk of may have little interest in what BOA has to offer - they play Reading & Leeds etc which has always supported the more metal core stuff. Time will tell, but the last band we had that had a big crossover with that was Mastodon, and their crowd was much sparser than the special guests like Anthrax and Gojira.

Its odd that this bill has more I like than there's been for a few years but they're all on Friday and Sunday so far, nothing at all that I'm a big fan of on Saturday
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11