Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Re: Next Announcement

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Ghost did nothing for me, I lasted through the god awful intro and the first 2 songs and wandered off the the VIP bar.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Splatterthrash wrote:But Parkway Drive are metal. Considerably more than Scorpions to be honest.

Ha ha ha. No.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Tet wrote:
Splatterthrash wrote:But Parkway Drive are metal. Considerably more than Scorpions to be honest.

Ha ha ha. No.

Haha. Yes.

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Scorpions are a hard rock band.Parkway Drive are a metal band. Not saying they're as good but definitely more metal.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Scorpions are a heavy metal band, one of the quintessential definitions of it in the 80s - regardless of whether thrash, death, black etc is 'heavier' doesn't change this any more than it requires Maiden or Dio to be re-aligned as anything other than heavy metal despite being more lightweight than the other spin offs..
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Hard rock band to me and overrated. Never saw the huge appeal in supposed classic songs like Rock You Like A Hurricane and especially The Zoo. That's one boring song.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Scorpions are definitely a metal band. Not particularly heavy in today's terms but definitely metal. In my opinion both Scorpions and Parkway Drive are metal bands, but just completely different styles. Either way the whole 'metal or not metal' debate is asinine

Splatterthrash
Powermetal Child

Postby Splatterthrash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Hoping for Bring Me The Horizon next year..

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Aye - the difference is that PWD are big in a crowd that a good chunk of may have little interest in what BOA has to offer - they play Reading & Leeds etc which has always supported the more metal core stuff. Time will tell, but the last band we had that had a big crossover with that was Mastodon, and their crowd was much sparser than the special guests like Anthrax and Gojira.

Its odd that this bill has more I like than there's been for a few years but they're all on Friday and Sunday so far, nothing at all that I'm a big fan of on Saturday
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Saturday for me will involve watching Anthrax and consuming a fuck ton of cans in the campsite.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:04 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Saturday for me will involve watching Anthrax and consuming a fuck ton of cans in the campsite.

Read my mind :yes:

Might give PwD a go, might depend on how hammered I am on the day though :lol:

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:27 pm

someone else wrote:Its odd that this bill has more I like than there's been for a few years but they're all on Friday and Sunday so far, nothing at all that I'm a big fan of on Saturday

Pretty much the same here, other than Anthrax. Think there may still be a gap for 4th/5th down on Saturday though which could hopefully save the day a little. Otherwise it's going to be a long day in the tents for me

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:32 am

Still don't get the "Bloodstock becoming Download Lite" argument. The line up literally never looks anything like Download. :lol:

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Personally I will give any band a go as it's all metal in various forms and I've paid for it so. I might as well

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Download does actually have a lot of Metal there this year!

Download lite is an overstatement and probably the whole situation needs its own thread
I think similar to what`s been posted on the official announcement thread that headline status bands are booked which dont even make the Wishlist or have a flavor more appreciated at Download
This does look like promoters personal preference rather than that of the Wishlist , I would go so far to say arrogance as according to said person`s Twitter feed anyone who dosent like said bands is an elitist(?)
So the Strongman tent isn't just there because of the promoters vanity and ego? Or are these bands which keep getting booked because the promoter likes them but no-one asks for them
If i`m elitist, then you my dear are a Bigot

Have to say I didn't really get Scorpions until years later sure I remember their huge years and huge hits
Really got into them via Humanity Hour I which is by any standard a Metal album, even the obligatory ballad on there, surprisingly produced by Desmond Child also
Certainly perhaps 79-90 were more Hard rock with smatterings of metal, they even released that awful pop record in the late nineties