Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Re: Next Announcement

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Saturday for me will involve watching Anthrax and consuming a fuck ton of cans in the campsite.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:04 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Saturday for me will involve watching Anthrax and consuming a fuck ton of cans in the campsite.

Read my mind :yes:

Might give PwD a go, might depend on how hammered I am on the day though :lol:

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:27 pm

someone else wrote:Its odd that this bill has more I like than there's been for a few years but they're all on Friday and Sunday so far, nothing at all that I'm a big fan of on Saturday

Pretty much the same here, other than Anthrax. Think there may still be a gap for 4th/5th down on Saturday though which could hopefully save the day a little. Otherwise it's going to be a long day in the tents for me

Jay1993
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:32 am

Still don't get the "Bloodstock becoming Download Lite" argument. The line up literally never looks anything like Download. :lol:

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Personally I will give any band a go as it's all metal in various forms and I've paid for it so. I might as well

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Download does actually have a lot of Metal there this year!

Download lite is an overstatement and probably the whole situation needs its own thread
I think similar to what`s been posted on the official announcement thread that headline status bands are booked which dont even make the Wishlist or have a flavor more appreciated at Download
This does look like promoters personal preference rather than that of the Wishlist , I would go so far to say arrogance as according to said person`s Twitter feed anyone who dosent like said bands is an elitist(?)
So the Strongman tent isn't just there because of the promoters vanity and ego? Or are these bands which keep getting booked because the promoter likes them but no-one asks for them
If i`m elitist, then you my dear are a Bigot

Have to say I didn't really get Scorpions until years later sure I remember their huge years and huge hits
Really got into them via Humanity Hour I which is by any standard a Metal album, even the obligatory ballad on there, surprisingly produced by Desmond Child also
Certainly perhaps 79-90 were more Hard rock with smatterings of metal, they even released that awful pop record in the late nineties

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:27 pm

So many people with the "parkway drive are heavy so they're metal" talk.

Heavy does not automatically equal metal - otherwise pretty much all drone, harsh-noise, power-electronics, death industrial, hardcore, and even a fair amount of shoegaze and dark ambient are metal - probably other styles and scenes too I'm sure.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm

The whole situation is becoming unbearable now. People on both sides are acting like idiots and I think everyone just needs to accept the decision and get on with their lives. The overreacting is pathetic, as is the ideology that if you don't like it you should keep quiet. I have no problem with people voicing their opinion in either way, as long as it's done with a bit of class and intelligence, something that seems to be lacking in this day and age.

Reading that back, it sounds like I'm talking about fuckin Brexit :o :lol:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:51 pm

I thought Ghost were superb at Bloodstock, as did the majority of people I was with. One of my favourite headline performances tbh.

Parkway Drive are metal. They're a type of metal I can't abide but there's no doubt about what they are. It's also the sort of metal which is extremely popular with the current young generation of metal fans so I'm sure they'll get a good crowd. Whether it's the sort of crowd Bloodstock normally gets is another argument. But it's only an hour and a half of my day and I like the other 2 headliners so fuck it, I'll just go to the bar.

The Scorpions are most definitely a metal band. I hate this retconning of musical styles, The Scorpions were about in the 70s when this was what metal was. Just because things have gotten heavier since, and young people seem to think any band without a vocalist who screams, barks and vomits over a heavy beat isn't metal (I've read comments from fuckwits labelling Maiden as hard rock before :rolleyes: ), doesn't change what they were and are.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:58 pm

PWD or not, that Saturday is one of the worst looking days at a festival I've ever seen. Sunday isn't much better to be fair. Whereas the Friday is stacked.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:40 pm

metalicbear wrote:PWD or not, that Saturday is one of the worst looking days at a festival I've ever seen. Sunday isn't much better to be fair. Whereas the Friday is stacked.

Yep, spot on for me. Apart from Anthrax, every band is something that I at best have only a passing interest in.

Jay1993
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 am

kurrupo wrote:The whole situation is becoming unbearable now. People on both sides are acting like idiots and I think everyone just needs to accept the decision and get on with their lives.

I agree, it's ridiculous! Can't be arsed with the drama. :lol:

Personally, I'm liking the diversity of the line up so far. I think a lot of people on Facebook are forgetting that there's literally another three stages to fill with bands yet!

Also what other possibilities were there regarding a heavier headliner realistically? Particularly when bands like Slayer, Behemoth, LoG and Rob Zombie have already been nabbed by Download!

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 am

Yeah I agree, on the whole the lineup looks good for me this year. There's definitely a dip in the middle of Saturday where I have nothing, but there are still 2 full stages to be announced so I'm not getting too disillusioned about it yet.

I know Bloodstock do their usual announcements on Tuesdays at 11am so I'm wondering if there'll be one today. Would make sense to divert the negativity away from PD, especially if they announced some death/black metal

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:05 am

I just wish PD were on the Sunday so I could go home rather than my wallet being held hostage at a bar.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:43 am

They're dogshit, but It's rare I like the mainstage headliners these days anyway so it's hardly going to spoil my weekend. Hope there's a decent Sophie headliner, or failing that a good movie on again.