Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 pm

kurrupo wrote:Judging by the lineup page on the website it looks as if Cancer Bats are on before them. I think that may be wrong though cos the posters on social media have Cancer Bats a lot higher up the bill. Plus I thought they were fairly big?

Cancer Bats are a hard one to judge, they often play venues/slots smaller than their standing so wouldn't surprise me too much if they do end up opening (though I expect a smaller band will end up opening).

Bucking the trend, not a bad announcement overall for me. I like Cancer Bats, Taake and Generation Kill (who had actually passed me by, thought Rob Dukes was doing a project with the guy from Run DMC :? ) so I'm now up to an astounding 4 bands on the Saturday :lol:

Shvapes and Cancer Bats seem so out of place on the line up, I get BOA books the odd token "kerrang" band (Charm and Fury, One Hundred etc) so hopefully they are the ones for this year

Resin and Speedhorn do little for me.

So much for the Sophie making up for the crap on main then :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Cancer Bats big? Nah. They are Rescue Rooms/Rebellion size at best. Evil Scarecrow are much bigger. Not by size of gigs, but crowds they attract.

As for the announcement. Mostly a load of shite apart from Taake.

I can't get excited by a Rob Dukes fronted band that will probably clash with Anthrax or COF, but I'll have to have a proper listen before totally writing Generation Kill off.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Does nothing to change my mind about skipping Saturday and driving up for Friday and Sunday. So far Saturday only has Swallow the Sun that I would pay to see away from a festival.
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:32 pm

I had faith in Bloodstock to provide a more extreme alternative to Parkway on the Saturday night and it looks like they've delivered! Although I'm not familiar with Taake's stuff, there seems to be a good response to them on Facebook. I'll check them out and will hopefully have the opportunity to catch them in the tent if they stick with putting the Sophie headliner on after the Dio one.

Not sure what the backlash is about regarding Cancer Bats and Raging Speedhorn; both bands have big crossover appeal with metal fans and I know of a lot of people into them. Besides a hardcore opener isn't unusual on the Dio stage when you look at previous years. Looks like there's one band left for the main stage on Saturday; I'm hoping for a bigger band between Cradle and Code Orange maybe?

Never heard of Generation Kill and Shvpes but will give them a go. Resin are always good and I'll happily watch them providing they don't clash with anyone.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Cancer Bats big? Nah. They are Rescue Rooms/Rebellion size at best. Evil Scarecrow are much bigger. Not by size of gigs, but crowds they attract.

Given I've seen ES headline a festival last summer to about 100 people I can say they aren't a guaranteed crowd puller :lol:

Either way, it's a moot point as I can't see CB being a big crowd puller at BOA; though I'd say they are way bigger in general.

Jay1993 wrote:I had faith in Bloodstock...Looks like there's one band left for the main stage on Saturday; I'm hoping for a bigger band between Cradle and Code Orange maybe?

I had faith in BOA too, but that went out the window years ago :lol:

I think we'll get a band below Cancer Bats if anything, probably someone along the lines of Feed The Rhino/Savage Messiah size.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:24 pm

i0th wrote:No one's been announced as actually opening Saturday have they?

Finnish prog doomsters, SWALLOW THE SUN grab themselves an early main stage spot on Saturday.

That's what I thought. I reckon in terms of mainstage, all we have left is second band on for the Friday, opener for the Saturday and then bottom 2 for the Sunday. Can't see us getting any more fairly big names now, which is a shame cos I was hoping for at least one of Beast In Black, Avatar, Chthonic, Ensiferum, Kobra and the Lotus or Unleash The Archers. Oh well, hopefully there will still be some decent Sophie bands in the pipeline

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Jay1993 wrote:I had faith in Bloodstock to provide a more extreme alternative to Parkway on the Saturday night and it looks like they've delivered!

They haven't actually, Taake will be on after PWD. There is no alternative band on at the same time as the RJD headliners, it was tried a few years back but got scrapped straight away. :(
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Hmmm, I like Taake but by the time they come on the rest of Saturday will have probably eroded my enthusiasm. I like Anthrax and Cradle but other than that the Saturday is one of the worst Bloodstock days ever...it genuinely looks like the sort of festival day I started going to Bloodstock to get away from. I'm actually in two minds whether to bother at all again after these last couple of announcements. Whilst I quite like a number of bands across the Friday and Sunday there are few I'm a genuinely big fan of. Was really hoping for a couple of decent big name black, folk or death metal acts yet we've been fed a load of core shite again.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Soze wrote:Hmmm, I like Taake but by the time they come on the rest of Saturday will have probably eroded my enthusiasm. I like Anthrax and Cradle but other than that the Saturday is one of the worst Bloodstock days ever...it genuinely looks like the sort of festival day I started going to Bloodstock to get away from. I'm actually in two minds whether to bother at all again after these last couple of announcements. Whilst I quite like a number of bands across the Friday and Sunday there are few I'm a genuinely big fan of. Was really hoping for a couple of decent big name black, folk or death metal acts yet we've been fed a load of core shite again.

Pretty much feeling the same. Friday and Sunday look pretty good (though to be honest it's the headliners selling it mostly for me at the moment) but the Saturday is so unbelievably bad that it's making me seriously think about whether it's worth it.

It's amazing how they've managed to turn what many were saying was shaping to be a the best lineup in years into one that no one cares about :lol:
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

Bearintown
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Bearintown » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Strongly considering ducking out of Saturday and going the spoons/ Travelodge night out route in Derby (or similar), then coming back for Sunday :(

Why is always the middle day that you dont like :?

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 am

Saturday is horrendous, Only really interested in Scorpions on the Sunday. So I can't justify a weekend ticket, although there might be a few gems on the Sophie stage, but I'm not holding my breath considering the biggest bands are Grand Magus and Taake who would be low down on main. So probably not going this year.

They can keep banging on about diversity and offering something new all they like, but they forget that BOA is meant to be an alternative to the likes of Download and Reading, but when Download is more BOA than BOA, you know you're doing it wrong.

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:07 am

metalicbear wrote:Saturday is horrendous, Only really interested in Scorpions on the Sunday. So I can't justify a weekend ticket, although there might be a few gems on the Sophie stage, but I'm not holding my breath considering the biggest bands are Grand Magus and Taake who would be low down on main. So probably not going this year.

They can keep banging on about diversity and offering something new all they like, but they forget that BOA is meant to be an alternative to the likes of Download and Reading, but when Download is more BOA than BOA, you know you're doing it wrong.

Funny you should say this, I'm strongly considering Download this year, better headliners and actually just as many bands I want to see as bloodstock this year. Never thought I'd say this but bloodstock really seems to be heading into murky waters last year and this year. It's not even anything to do with blowing the budget on Scorpions and Judas Preist last year they could easily get decent undercard for same cost. It's out of choice, some seriously bad taste and just not the kind of bands I thought would follow such a great line up at the start. Can't believe it, next to no death metal really either

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 am

JB65 wrote:HRH Vikings has got a lot of the folk stuff this time, stuff we used to get at Bloodstock.

Not really. It was nearly all death metal, with very little actual folk metal.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:35 am

Did anyone catch the live Q&A last night? If so, were there any important bits we need to know about?

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:25 am

Tet wrote:
JB65 wrote:HRH Vikings has got a lot of the folk stuff this time, stuff we used to get at Bloodstock.

Not really. It was nearly all death metal, with very little actual folk metal.

The second one seems a little more balanced:
Finntroll, Heidevolk, Moonsorrow, Skalmold, Cruachan, Elvenking, Skyclad, Deadwood Lake, Fen, Rannoch, Shadowflag, Deus Mori, Elderseer, Fjords, Wyrdstaef announced so far.