Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Re: Next Announcement

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:36 am

Back on topic, when can we expect more shite bands to be announced :lol:
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:42 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:Back on topic, when can we expect more shite bands to be announced :lol:

Well, Bring Me the Horizon are the future of metal - (along with Parkway Drive and something called Beartooth) - I assume there are more of these bands hanging around ?

What riches we have to look forwards to !

/sarcasm

Metal Hammer did actually publish an article with that as the title, by the way -
https://www.loudersound.com/features/bring-me-the-horizons-amo-is-the-sound-of-metals-future-get-used-to-it
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Methuen wrote:
CharlesDexterWard wrote:Back on topic, when can we expect more shite bands to be announced :lol:

Well, Bring Me the Horizon are the future of metal - (along with Parkway Drive and something called Beartooth) - I assume there are more of these bands hanging around ?

What riches we have to look forwards to !

/sarcasm

Metal Hammer did actually publish an article with that as the title, by the way -
https://www.loudersound.com/features/bring-me-the-horizons-amo-is-the-sound-of-metals-future-get-used-to-it

Jesus suffering fuck! :o
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

RhysyG
Powermetal Child

Postby RhysyG » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:55 am

Christ above, that article is terrifying! Well, I guess Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Priest, etc should all throw away the instruments, and make a pop record to allow metal to evolve!

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:12 am

My god, what an awful article. Surely he's on the wind up? If not he seems like an arrogant self righteous prick, looking down on anyone who wants to keep mainstream pop out of metal. The smug comment about the new Bodom album coming out for all of us neanderthals is particularly infuriating

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am

What an oddly confrontational article.

I've listened to the BMTH album. As some of you know on here, my tastes are pretty broad (both within rock/metal and outside of it). I gave it a 2/5 on Rate Your Music. Yes, it's different. However, I don't think it does pop music that well. A lot of the songs sound 'by the numbers' to me. That said, it's not the worst thing I've heard this year (oh hai 'The Simulation', by Born of Osiris!).

I don't get why the article thinks that BMTH's album is the sound of metal to come... because it isn't really metal. It's not even rock, really. It's a pop album that samples some of their past sound (though only occasionally). This isn't like, say, Amaranthe or Babymetal, who both mix pop/J-pop with rock/metal to create a hybridised sound.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Methuen wrote:Well, Bring Me the Horizon are the future of metal - (along with Parkway Drive and something called Beartooth)

Pure clickbait. Write a controversial story. Sit back and watch angry people give you advertising income.

It's obviously nonsense. It's not metal, so there's no way it could be the future of metal. FWIW, I saw Beartooth at Download a few years ago. I'd say they're somewhere between a Green Day-like pop punk band and a metalcore band. They too are not the future of metal.

In the words of Blaze Bayley: the future's bright, the future's metal. And that doesn't mean BMTH, Beartooth or Parkway Drive.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Tet wrote:
Methuen wrote:Well, Bring Me the Horizon are the future of metal - (along with Parkway Drive and something called Beartooth)

Pure clickbait. Write a controversial story. Sit back and watch angry people give you advertising income.

I did think when I read it, has someone from the Daily Mail suddenly started writing for Metal Hammer?

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 pm

i0th wrote:Article is clearly clickbait, fuck off Metal Hammer.

This.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Is it old fashioned of me to think that articles like this should be more or less objective? Like the bit where it explains what musical image certain songs on the album take is fine with me because they are simply explaining what the album is about but all the other shit about this is 'definitely metal' and 'this is the future get over it' is just bullshit. Whether it is a thrash classic or a pop dance album is irrelevant. The article is trying too hard. The 'journalist' is clearly a fan and knows that he has a somewhat divisive band on his or her hands and has decided to go down the I am right about this band and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. I know the recent parkway announcement divided folk but this just smacks of trying too hard. For what its worth I cant stand the band and the new album will pass me by on a wave of ignorant bliss but I get the feeling that even BMTH would be embarrassed by this article

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Nah, just doing whats been done in rock journalism since pen was put to paper - the term 'Delta Blues' was coined by a similar piece in the early 60s - possibly more prevalent now as ad revenue is generated by clicks so putting a divisive polemic on the site will generate traffic.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:36 pm

J.Ross29 wrote:Is it old fashioned of me to think that articles like this should be more or less objective? Like the bit where it explains what musical image certain songs on the album take is fine with me because they are simply explaining what the album is about but all the other shit about this is 'definitely metal' and 'this is the future get over it' is just bullshit. Whether it is a thrash classic or a pop dance album is irrelevant. The article is trying too hard. The 'journalist' is clearly a fan and knows that he has a somewhat divisive band on his or her hands and has decided to go down the I am right about this band and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. I know the recent parkway announcement divided folk but this just smacks of trying too hard. For what its worth I cant stand the band and the new album will pass me by on a wave of ignorant bliss but I get the feeling that even BMTH would be embarrassed by this article

Its people like this that write such aggressive bullshit then call anyone that doesn't agree "elitist". No, BMTH and Parkway are not the be all and end all of metal in the 21st century.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 am

Haldamir319 wrote:What an oddly confrontational article.

It's priceless isn't it, the way it lays down the law with what is real metal right now and if you don't evolve with it you're a dinosaur from 50 years ago - "pop is the new metal, get used it, getting beatboxer and grime artist on an album is genius, are you on board? If not go back to your Children Of Bodom album from 762 years ago!"

BMTH's metalcore was shit and their pop music is shit, so no, I'm not on board. Looks like I ain't one of the cool kids then. Thank fuck.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:47 am

Reads like someone trying to pre-empt a Nevermind moment where an album comes along and changes the game. Journo trying to appear ahead of the curve; think they might have backed the wrong horse in this race :lol:

Book bands Metal Hammer think are shite, might end up with some brilliant bands considering their opinions :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:56 am

houston4044 wrote:Book bands Metal Hammer think are shite, might end up with some brilliant bands considering their opinions :lol:

I genuinely used to buy Kerrang! in the '90s to read their reviews and find out which bands they hated, because that would probably mean I might like them. I discovered Primal Fear like that, for example.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...