Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Tet » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 am

Czech's Mate wrote:I do feel that the overall level of the bands playing (headliners aside) is far lowerthan previously....oris that just me getting old and grumpy

No, I think you're right. I can only assume it's because they've biased the budget towards getting bigger bands for the main stage, so they have less left over to get known bands on the lower stages. It's not just that they're getting smaller bands for the Sophie stage this year. They're getting more bands that I've never even heard of than in previous years.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Zealot Cult, great band, sound like early Morbid Angel. I'm happy with this one as I requested them on the suggestions thread

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Never heard of any but had a listen and they all sound good to me. Especially Dan nation Hammer, Zealot Cult and Blasphemer. Good additions

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:00 pm

As much as I don't mind checking new bands out, I do feel the 2nd stage is weaker in terms of well known bands this year. Even last year, the top 4 or 5 each day were bands I was at least aware of. I've had to do a lot more research so far this year. The keep going on about the festival becoming bigger so it would be nice if this was reflected in the 2nd stage lineup, especially when the main stage lineup (Saturday mostly) is divisive among the purists this year. I still find it baffling how bands who are just starting to gain popularity over here (like Beast In Black, Cellar Darling, Avatar, Unleash The Archers) have never been booked

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:04 pm

kurrupo wrote:As much as I don't mind checking new bands out, I do feel the 2nd stage is weaker in terms of well known bands this year. Even last year, the top 4 or 5 each day were bands I was at least aware of. I've had to do a lot more research so far this year. The keep going on about the festival becoming bigger so it would be nice if this was reflected in the 2nd stage lineup, especially when the main stage lineup (Saturday mostly) is divisive among the purists this year. I still find it baffling how bands who are just starting to gain popularity over here (like Beast In Black, Cellar Darling, Avatar, Unleash The Archers) have never been booked

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:51 pm

JB65 wrote:
kurrupo wrote:As much as I don't mind checking new bands out, I do feel the 2nd stage is weaker in terms of well known bands this year. Even last year, the top 4 or 5 each day were bands I was at least aware of. I've had to do a lot more research so far this year. The keep going on about the festival becoming bigger so it would be nice if this was reflected in the 2nd stage lineup, especially when the main stage lineup (Saturday mostly) is divisive among the purists this year. I still find it baffling how bands who are just starting to gain popularity over here (like Beast In Black, Cellar Darling, Avatar, Unleash The Archers) have never been booked

True, but that was when they were pretty much unknown. They've been gaining popularity now for 3-4 years and they've never been back

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:42 pm

kurrupo wrote:True, but that was when they were pretty much unknown. They've been gaining popularity now for 3-4 years and they've never been back

And then the repeat complaints start :eyes:

It was an alright announcement, Witch Tripper and Zealot Cult are great, the rest are ok; would watch unless they clash with someone else.

kurrupo wrote:As much as I don't mind checking new bands out, I do feel the 2nd stage is weaker in terms of well known bands this year.

Agreed. I think both stages suffer from the same problem, the headliners are big (the Sophie ones are big for the stage) but it seems the rest of the stage has to suffer as a result. Would rather smaller headliners with a better undercard (on each stage).

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Even looking at the likes of Summer Breeze etc. The following bands could have easily played the Sophie stage -

Harpyie
The Dogs
Burning Witches
Winterstorm
Midnight
Oceans of Slumber
Gutalax
Twilight Force
Mustasch
Krisiun
Deserted Fear
Ahab
Gaahls Wyrd
The Ocean
Skalmold
Rise of the Northstar
Brainstorm
Firewind

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:08 pm

It’s a crime that brainstorm have never played the Open Air event.
It’s an even bigger crime that Dark Tranquillity have not played in recent years.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:22 am

metalicbear wrote:Even looking at the likes of Summer Breeze etc. The following bands could have easily played the Sophie stage -

Midnight
Krisiun
Ahab
Gaahls Wyrd
The Ocean
Skalmold
Brainstorm
Firewind

They're all too big for the Sophie stage and would be on the main stage.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:37 am

bloodfiend wrote:
metalicbear wrote:Even looking at the likes of Summer Breeze etc. The following bands could have easily played the Sophie stage -

Midnight
Krisiun
Ahab
Gaahls Wyrd
The Ocean
Skalmold
Brainstorm
Firewind

They're really not. Both Brainstorm and The Ocean could headline Sophie for sure, but the others are nowhere near too big.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:04 am

I think the point is that those bands *shouldn't* be too big for the Sophie stage but by the terribly low standards Bloodstock have set for that stage by booking pub bands most people haven't heard of, they currently would be viewed as too big which is the problem.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:00 am

I'd say of those, only Firewind are too big. Even they'd be able to headline. That's the calibre of bands I'd want to be playing that stage.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:35 am

metalicbear wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:

Midnight
Krisiun
Ahab
Gaahls Wyrd
The Ocean
Skalmold
Brainstorm
Firewind

They're really not. Both Brainstorm and The Ocean could headline Sophie for sure, but the others are nowhere near too big.

The argument was about the decline in quality of the bands on the Sophie stage apart from the headlines though, we're not just talking about bands that could headline, as the Sophie headliners are always bands that could play the mainstage.

The likes of Firewind, Krisiun, The Ocean, Skalmold and Brainstorm wouldn't play beneath a headliner on the Sophie stage and would defintitely be on the main stage.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:20 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
metalicbear wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:

The argument was about the decline in quality of the bands on the Sophie stage apart from the headlines though, we're not just talking about bands that could headline, as the Sophie headliners are always bands that could play the mainstage.

The likes of Firewind, Krisiun, The Ocean, Skalmold and Brainstorm wouldn't play beneath a headliner on the Sophie stage and would defintitely be on the main stage.

Aside from Firewind (and even that's arguable these days), how big do you think these bands are? Look at Damnation for an example. A much smaller festival, yet the calibre of bands they have on even their bottom stage is generally bigger than Bloodstock have on their second. The Ocean played the third stage last year (granted they headlined it, but they played halfway up the second a few years before). If a festival a third the size can get quality bands why can't Bloodstock?
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!