Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 am

Skippy wrote:
metalicbear wrote:The fact that Download are now doing a dedicated Metal stage. Festivals such as Arctangent and Amplified are getting bigger each year. There are metal festivals popping up all over the country. If Hammerfest and its smaller festivals continue to expand. BOA could be in trouble in a few years if it doesn't expand its smaller stages.

Basically this. Bloodstock seem more interested in spending the budget on a big headliner

So to play devil's advocate, as both Amplified and HRH both stack their undercards with small/free bands along with BOA; are BOA keeping themselves ahead of the competition because their biggest bands are far larger?

Personally don't like it myself but the logic seems to add up.

Gandalf the Red wrote:Seriously, people don't know these bands? :?

Given how much music is out there nowerdays I can easily understand how these bands get overlooked. Add in the fact that people won't have their finger on the pulse of every sub-genre then yeah, I see why half these bands are called unknowns.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:26 am

Some great death metal in that last announcement; Zealot Cult are like a combination of Morbid Angel and Obituary, and Blasphemer sound ace too! Happy to see Witchtripper back too :D

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:23 pm

Let's give this a go:

Ten Ton Slug - heard of
Footprints in the Custard - heard of / pretty famous!
Blind River - heard of
Barbarian Hermit - heard of and seen live
Raging Speedhorn - heard of
Countless Skies - heard of
Sulpher - new to me
Damnation's Hammer - knew the name only
BongCauldron - heard of
Def Con One - heard of
Blasphemer - knew the name
Zealot Cult - new to me
Taake - heard of
Skeletal Remains - heard of / possibly seen
Generation Kill - new to me
3 Headed Snake - new to me
Dust Bolt - heard of
Red Method - knew the name in passing
Shvpes - knew the name in passing
The Lazys - new to me
Resin - heard of / possibly seen
Boss Keloid - seen live multiple times / love / released an album of the year contender last year
Witch Tripper - seen live / booked them for my own show
Harbinger - heard of

So, I'd at least knew the name of 19 of them. I don't think this is an obscure list of bands tbh - I know a lot more here than I did on the lower stages when I started attending from 09 tbh.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:49 pm

I don't think Amplified is going to dent BOA soon, but it puts these comments into perspective - the line up is essentially BOAs Sophie Stage, the headliners would still either be in that tent or in bottom couple of bands on the main stage, and it still costs 115 quid. HRH has branched out, but some of its metal events have run their course already, but its pricing structure is odd, and that it sells out with bands that Ive seen play infront of 20 people topping the bill.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Amplifieds 2nd and 3rd stages have bigger bands than what BOAs do. BOA has a bigger main stage,but BOA is a 20k capacity festival, Amplified is a quarter of the size.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:35 pm

metalicbear wrote:Amplifieds 2nd and 3rd stages have bigger bands than what BOAs do. BOA has a bigger main stage,but BOA is a 20k capacity festival, Amplified is a quarter of the size.

Just had a quick look at Amplified's 2nd/3rd stage line-ups for this year and last year and I'd say it's about the same as BOA in terms of size of bands. But if Amplified is indeed only around 5k capacity then that's a pretty damning indictment of Bloodstock's poor use of their other stages.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Having been to Amplified, it's nowhere near in a position to do much to challenge BOA.

- None of the bands are exclusive so aren't going to nab any from BOA
- It doesn't have the infrastructure
- Doesn't have the budget
- It maybe 5k capacity but I never saw much beyond 100-200 people in the arena (maybe 300 in the campsite)

Saying that, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would consider it again. To see it as a rival to BOA is like saying Tranmere Rovers are rivals to Manchester United.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:29 am

I'd say the size Amplified has grown (I've never been, this is purely based on the size of bands they book) in three years would suggest they COULD be a rival to Bloodstock in a few years. Granted, it'll take some time but with Bloodstock clearly past it's peak and doing themselves no favours, it definitely NEEDS something to rival it.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Seriously, people don't know these bands? :?

Ten Ton Slug
Footprints in the Custard
Blind River
Barbarian Hermit
Raging Speedhorn
Countless Skies
Sulpher
Damnation's Hammer
BongCauldron
Def Con One
Blasphemer
Zealot Cult
Taake
Skeletal Remains
Generation Kill
3 Headed Snake
Dust Bolt
Red Method
Shvpes
The Lazys
Resin
Boss Keloid
Witch Tripper
Harbinger

I've heard of 5 of them and consider myself fairly well connected with what's going on (although admittedly my interest in new metal bands isn't what it once was). Granted I live in an area of the country where these bands are never going to play but for me, this is a pretty obscure list.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 am

Ten Ton Slug - never heard of
Footprints in the Custard - some joke band that played BOA a few years ago
Blind River - caught a bit of them a couple of years ago, they were pretty good
Barbarian Hermit - never heard of
Raging Speedhorn - yes I know them....unfortunately
Countless Skies - never heard of
Sulpher - heard of, but only cos I saw them a LONG time ago, they've been dormant for a long time
Damnation's Hammer - never heard of
BongCauldron - never heard of
Def Con One - never heard of
Blasphemer - never heard of
Zealot Cult - never heard of
Taake - love them
Skeletal Remains- never heard of
Generation Kill - never heard of
3 Headed Snake - never heard of
Dust Bolt - never heard of
Red Method - never heard of
Shvpes - never heard of
The Lazys - never heard of
Resin - never heard of
Boss Keloid - heard of cos they played BOA, but never seen.
Witch Tripper - never heard of
Harbinger - never heard of

So I go to gigs all the time and know loads of smaller bands, and out of that 24, I've heard of 6, seen 4, and only like 3 of them. So yeah, hardly a good representation of popular smaller metal bands.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:59 am

On the above, a few have played BOA before:

Witch Tripper - 2015 (Jager), 2016 (NB)
Ten Ton Slug - 2016 (NB)
Barbarian Hermit - 2018 (NB)
Resin - 2013 (Jager), 2014 (NB + acoustic set on the Jager).

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:30 am

Just had a look at the line-up for Amplified, if people are criticizing BOA for booking big bands and failing to fill the undercard, how is Amplified any better? That's exactly what I saw on all of their stages. Would rather do BOA this year by a mile, and I have little interest in this year's festival.

The problem with BOA is just that they've booked an underwhelming line-up by most accounts, especially since metal seems to have taken a backseat to Hardcore on the Saturday. The line-up is cluttered with the kinds of bands who are at least 2 or 3 albums past their prime. I understand the 2010s have been a pretty quiet decade in regards to new metal acts, but in the past year or two there's been a massive swell in the underground metal scene, particularly in the doom and heavy metal scene, why can't we have some of those bands?
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Smerphy wrote:in the past year or two there's been a massive swell in the underground metal scene, particularly in the doom and heavy metal scene, why can't we have some of those bands?

It's not just those bands they're going wrong with. It's the entire lineups. The fact they haven't sold out yet and didn't last year either speaks wonders.

They were even advertising the other day on social media that the festival is by the fans for the fans, when it's more like we pander to kerrang and Metal hammer and book bands we liked in the 90s.

The fact it took them 10 years to book Alestorm again. The fact they book bands that people ask for which are touring, a year or 2 later than they should like Metal Church. The fact that the same bands crop up in people's wishlists every year but don't get booked like Candlemass. The fact bands like Helloween Pumpkins United are asked for yet Gojira headline instead, the fact that rare bands like Demons & Wizards are touring, but Tesseract get booked, the fact that they could book Equilibrium, but book Code Orange instead. They could book newer bands like Lord of the Lost, but book bands like Cancer Bats. The fact that some of the hottest new bands like Unleash the Archers, Beast in Black and Stoned Jesus haven't been booked yet, but Raging Speedhorn have. The fact that Jinjer, Rise of the Northstar and Alien Weaponry are on a massive upwards trajectory, yet aren't anywhere to be seen. Just shows how out of touch the organiser are with the scene they are supposedly the number 1 UK festival for.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:11 pm

AFAIK they've been trying to book Candlemass every year for quite awhile now and the band just hasn't been available. I would love both Helloween and D&W but I've no idea whether are available for the BOA weekend, for all we know they were approached and said no.

Alien Weaponry played last year.

I'm staying offsite this year so I'm just going to ignore Thursday and Saturday and stay in my comfy hotel instead.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 pm

fluffkitten wrote:AFAIK they've been trying to book Candlemass every year for quite awhile now and the band just hasn't been available. I would love both Helloween and D&W but I've no idea whether are available for the BOA weekend, for all we know they were approached and said no.

As much as it is very possible, I think the sheer number of bands that haven't been booked that should would suggest the bookers just don't have an interest. I would suggest bands like Demons and Wizards were probably approached and wanted a larger slot than they were offered, but for the smaller bands....Bloodstock is the week after Wacken, the same weekend as Brutal Assault, its in the middle of festival season. Sure, some bands may not want to go so far out of the way to come to the UK, but then they seem happy to for other festivals or tours. It may be a case of bands being offered too little, like with Gama Bomb, but they are getting bands in from America left right and centre, which would probably cost more. I think it has to come down to the organisers.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!