Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 am

I don't really know if the USA has any standard touring patterns, but could it be that BOA get the North American bands cheaper as they are already planning broadly european tours around that time of year almost as a standard thing?

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:49 am

metalicbear wrote:It's not just those bands they're going wrong with. It's the entire lineups. The fact they haven't sold out yet and didn't last year either speaks wonders.

They were even advertising the other day on social media that the festival is by the fans for the fans, when it's more like we pander to kerrang and Metal hammer and book bands we liked in the 90s.

Not selling out the VIP stuff is the surprise / shock - that's what they should (and had been managing to) shift every year; these are the devoted fans that turn up and then spend a lot of money on top of their horribly priced yurt / tent / shed-inclusive ticket.

Instead, they've gone to a eurofest, an HRH event, (with that money), or just not bothered.

Their starting to take the suggestions threads / boards seriously would likely do a world of good. The amount of posts that are straightforward 'I'm going to x instead / not bothering this year', even on the official announcements, is very surprising.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:18 pm

I used to know about 30-40 people who'd go to Bloodstock every year, perhaps more. it was like an annual away day for every metal fan I knew in Plymouth. This year I'm only aware of 3. Whether this is a general reflection or just anecdotal I couldn't say, for every old fan they've lost I'm sure they've picked up 2 more by booking stuff like Parkway Drive and most of the other shite on the Saturday.

That said, I can possibly sympathise with them not booking the likes of Helloween, who are so much bigger everywhere else that their demands are probably too great. In an ideal world I'd have liked to see Bloodstock stick to a 12,000 capacity festival and attract the sort of bands/fans that aren't catered for elsewhere but with their plans to hit 20-25,000 they have to bow down to the market. It just dilutes things though, Bloodstock has, for me, become less appealing because it no longer offers the same magnitude of bands that don't turn up everywhere else.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Smerphy wrote:if people are criticizing BOA for booking big bands and failing to fill the undercard, how is Amplified any better?

It's not, and that's precisely why I haven't gone to Amplified yet. They have typically 3 medium sized name bands and an undercard filled with underground bands. Which is fine to a point, but it's just not enough to justify the travel and accomodation costs for a 3 day festival for my tastes.

Smerphy wrote:The problem with BOA is just that they've booked an underwhelming line-up by most accounts, especially since metal seems to have taken a backseat to Hardcore on the Saturday.

It's all subjective. Yes, the Saturday is dire. But overall, this lineup is anything but underwhelming for my tastes. I have at least 8 main stage bands I'd happily go and see in their own right, and that's something that hasn't happened for many, many years. It's been 3 or 4 for most recent years. Bloodstock 2019 is the festival's best lineup for nearly a decade and I'm looking forward to it more this year than I have done for a very long time.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:49 am

Tet wrote:It's all subjective. Yes, the Saturday is dire. But overall, this lineup is anything but underwhelming for my tastes. I have at least 8 main stage bands I'd happily go and see in their own right, and that's something that hasn't happened for many, many years. It's been 3 or 4 for most recent years. Bloodstock 2019 is the festival's best lineup for nearly a decade and I'm looking forward to it more this year than I have done for a very long time.

You raise a good point. Looking at the line-up again, I've got 12 main-stage bands I actively want to watch in addition to looking forward to Grand Magus & Eluveitie on the 2nd stage. The Saturday is god-awful for the most part but I just hope it doesn't rain so I can at least have a good time hanging out and drinking with friends in the campsite.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Friday and Sunday main stage are very good for me this year. It is just Saturday that sucks balls.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:03 pm

So a poll has been put up on the community section of BOA's YouTube channel asking people who they want to headline next year. The options are Trivium, Devin Townsend, Behemoth, Judas Priest and Lamb of God so looks like we can expect one of those next year!

robin8585

Postby robin8585 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Jay1993 wrote:So a poll has been put up on the community section of BOA's YouTube channel asking people who they want to headline next year. The options are Trivium, Devin Townsend, Behemoth, Judas Priest and Lamb of God so looks like we can expect one of those next year!

Aside from Devin, that's a pretty uninspiring list. Nothing I hate, nothing I like too much either though.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Trivium? Were they not paying attention to the embarassingly small crowd they drew?

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Trivium makes the most sense from that list, considering the last few years BOA seem to have been booking a previous year's Download band to headline.

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Lamb of God we're winning the poll when I voted with Behemoth just behind. Devin Townsend was last unfortunately! I was torn between Behemoth and Devin but went for Behemoth in the end.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 pm

I went for Devin but would be happy with Behemoth.

Trivium can fuck right off, the only thing they were good for in 2015 was emptying the arena at a rapid rate.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:41 am

i0th wrote:Not a Lamb of God fan but they did have a hell of a crowd when they last played unlike Trivium which was embarrassing. Too early to bring Priest back surely, even though they were awesome. Devin gets my vote.

How much of that was due to it being their first UK show since the whole legal issues with Blythe though?

Devin gets my vote

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Having seen Behemoth on their most recent run I can say that the stage show they managed to cram into the Forum was fantastic. They would be my choice personally.

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Would be happy with any of them except Devin personally. I find him and his music about as inspiring as a lettuce sandwich but that's just my view. Priest would be after that as they have headlined recently. Then Trivium because the new album was incredible. Then Behemoth for the same reason then in 1st Lamb of God cos they were great last time round