Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:37 am

Methuen wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Djinova, Inferiem, Deformation of Man, Lock Horns, Masters Call, Aesect, Bastard, Take Refuge and 28 Double all confirmed for the New Blood Stage.

Cheers for that, couple that look like good shouts if they don't clash - hoping that Master's Call will be on Saturday afternoon, unless the running order has been confirmed & I'm about to be disappointed ?

The order of the bands is usually loosely correct. Saying that, bands can be added either side of them / in between them and there is ALWAYS one band that is hilariously miles out of place on the poster compared to their slot.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed May 29, 2019 10:24 am

Why is there so much metalcore? (there ofter is tbh)

I was really hopping Old Season would win in Dublin, as there a great epic doom band, but nope, more metalcore! Urg.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Wed May 29, 2019 11:22 am

metaldinosaur wrote:Why is there so much metalcore? (there ofter is tbh)

I was really hopping Old Season would win in Dublin, as there a great epic doom band, but nope, more metalcore! Urg.

My brother drums in a -core band, and the local scene is all variations on "what are you angry about now ?!"-core - lots of big lads in vests with terrible band names, who all grew up on WWE, Avenged Sevenfold, and energy drinks. They turn out & vote for more of the same.

It's like punk coming round again, with the same beery old Priest and Sabbath fans (or their sons) STILL moaning about the kids :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Methuen wrote:
Skippy wrote:Love the fact they haven't even bothered to give the band's genres. That doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

From their own pages / facebook / the Archives (where they exist)

28 Double - Heavy Rock (they cite Alter Bridge and Clutch)
Aesect - Metalcore
Bastard - "aggro hardcore"
Deformation of Man - Groove
Djinova - Deathcore
Inferiem - Metalcore
Master's Fall - Black Metal
Take Refuge - Metalcore

Thanks for that info, that's a lot of core...

Bearintown
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Bearintown » Wed May 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Methuen wrote:
Skippy wrote:Love the fact they haven't even bothered to give the band's genres. That doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

Aesect - Metalcore
Djinova - Deathcore
Inferiem - Metalcore
Take Refuge - Metalcore

Well thats wiped most of them out for me :o :lol:

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu May 30, 2019 6:31 am

Methuen wrote:

Aesect - Metalcore
Djinova - Deathcore
Inferiem - Metalcore
Take Refuge - Metalcore

Will check out 28 Double and Deformation of Man. Not remotely interested in any more "core" bands :(
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu May 30, 2019 9:10 am

If this is how it's continuing to pan out, they need to find a way to get some variation in m2tm.

If this much 'core' filled the main stage, the fest (as we know it) would be over. It doesn't sit well that the 'grass roots' bands don't really sync with the festival as a whole. Keep the votes sure, but they need some 'judges picks' or something. Gregory himself seems to have decent taste, I'm sure he wouldn't disappoint.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:02 am

metaldinosaur wrote:If this is how it's continuing to pan out, they need to find a way to get some variation in m2tm.

If this much 'core' filled the main stage, the fest (as we know it) would be over. It doesn't sit well that the 'grass roots' bands don't really sync with the festival as a whole. Keep the votes sure, but they need some 'judges picks' or something. Gregory himself seems to have decent taste, I'm sure he wouldn't disappoint.

:P

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Thu May 30, 2019 12:14 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:If this is how it's continuing to pan out, they need to find a way to get some variation in m2tm.

As far as I know they already have a number of slots where they choose bands that didnt come first but impressed the judges.

I dont really see how they could do much more than that as it would kinda invalidate M2TM as a contest if they started blocking bands from winning due to that genre being "full"

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu May 30, 2019 1:53 pm

I don't want to invalidate the voting system, its a nice thing to do. However, the results are disappointing for the average Bloodstocker, and not particularly representative of the fest as a whole.

These nights are filled with 'core' kids obviously, it's still (just about) the popular metal of da yoof. An old man like me will probably be in bed by the time the third band is on, so I'm not gonna be able to cast my vote so easily (besides Leeds has only just popped up recently--went to Dewsbury once mind). However, these things don't change the fact that the festival would be better served with a new blood stage that provides appropriate music for a METAL festival. The majority of the bands being 'something-core' is a problem, and it could do with solving. You could try: Changing the voting system? Catogary system? Online voting contribution? Finalists voted for online? Something else? What do you think?

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu May 30, 2019 2:02 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:I don't want to invalidate the voting system, its a nice thing to do. However, the results are disappointing for the average Bloodstocker, and not particularly representative of the fest as a whole.

These nights are filled with 'core' kids obviously, it's still (just about) the popular metal of da yoof. An old man like me will probably be in bed by the time the third band is on, so I'm not gonna be able to cast my vote so easily (besides Leeds has only just popped up recently--went to Dewsbury once mind). However, these things don't change the fact that the festival would be better served with a new blood stage that provides appropriate music for a METAL festival. The majority of the bands being 'something-core' is a problem, and it could do with solving. You could try: Changing the voting system? Catogary system? Online voting contribution? Finalists voted for online? Something else? What do you think?

Perhaps some sort of pre-screening of bands before entering them into a heat? If there is an overload of Metalcore or whatever other genre then, at the discretion of BOA, only a few would be picked.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu May 30, 2019 4:00 pm

This all implies that they actually care about something other than metalcore being booked. That's the direction they want to go in for the rest of the festival too. I preferred it the year or two they did the online vote though - it was only for one band, but there were so many better bands on there than you see at most of the live shows.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu May 30, 2019 6:55 pm

I don't think the fest wants to go full Metalcore at all. Yes PD count as MC, but they are more Metal that some bands of that type - I don't like them but I will give them a watch. Mores the point: they wouldn't have shelled out for Scorpions and took a punt on sabaton if that was the case.

If I was a betting man (based on how the fest has been over the last few years, I would guess Amon Amarth/Volbeat/Whitesnake as next years headliners. A fair shout imo and, no core there- if I'm right.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 am

M2TM chat:

I don't believe in pre-screening of bands, outside of checking that they are some kind of rock or metal bands (that includes 'core' acts too). Besides the fact that that sort of descrimination doesn't sit well with me (aren't we metalheads supposed to be a more tolerant bunch?), it would also be detrimental to the M2TM comp itself.

Like it or not, certain sub-genres of heavy music are more popular on the underground/local scene in each region right now. It's quite feasible that a region could be made up of almost entirely metalcore, deathcore, hardcore, powerviolence etc.

If you limit the number of bands that can enter from a genre/group of similar genres, you're likely just going to kill that region's chance of having an M2TM down the line. Besides the fact that it would like cause issues with local punters ('why has band X got a slot and not band Y?'), there's also financial implications. Whilst not an unfair amount, it's also not a trifling amount of money it costs to run the competition in any one region.

Some above suggested 'judge picks' for the festival - I think there may be some confusion over how the comp works. Basically, a representative from Bloodstock travels to each final and selects a single winner from whatever final is presented to them. Occasionally Simon will put a 2nd band through on the spot, and 1 or 2 spots may be handed out for the Jager stage towards the back end of the comp, based on what they (the BOA judge team) has collectively seen. Fans don't have a say on the winners.

Now, how you populate your final is left in the hands of the promoters in each region, and some aspect of fan voting is expected to be incorporated into it. Here in Sheffield we ran the following system:

Judging panel - 3 people, marking on technical / performance attributes.

1st round - 9 heats. Fan vote / Judge vote 50:50 split. Top 2 bands progress to the Semis. 2 Wildcard spots given to the bands with highest judge scores that haven't otherwise qualified.

Semi-Finals. Fan/Judge split 25:75. Winners of each of the 5 Semis populate the Final.

Final. 5 bands. Bloodstock rep (in our case, Rob) picked the winner.

I'm not sure what else could be changed to improve it (suggestions welcome). But I think the fact we've put through bands from three different genres in three years shows that we have diversity of bands here at least (Ba'al - Blackened Post-Doom/Sludge, Aonia - Symphonic/Operatioc Metal, Deformation of Man - Groove Metal).

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri May 31, 2019 9:11 am

Haldamir319 wrote:M2TM chat:

I don't believe in pre-screening of bands, outside of checking that they are some kind of rock or metal bands (that includes 'core' acts too). Besides the fact that that sort of descrimination doesn't sit well with me (aren't we metalheads supposed to be a more tolerant bunch?), it would also be detrimental to the M2TM comp itself.

Like it or not, certain sub-genres of heavy music are more popular on the underground/local scene in each region right now. It's quite feasible that a region could be made up of almost entirely metalcore, deathcore, hardcore, powerviolence etc.

If you limit the number of bands that can enter from a genre/group of similar genres, you're likely just going to kill that region's chance of having an M2TM down the line. Besides the fact that it would like cause issues with local punters ('why has band X got a slot and not band Y?'), there's also financial implications. Whilst not an unfair amount, it's also not a trifling amount of money it costs to run the competition in any one region.

Some above suggested 'judge picks' for the festival - I think there may be some confusion over how the comp works. Basically, a representative from Bloodstock travels to each final and selects a single winner from whatever final is presented to them. Occasionally Simon will put a 2nd band through on the spot, and 1 or 2 spots may be handed out for the Jager stage towards the back end of the comp, based on what they (the BOA judge team) has collectively seen. Fans don't have a say on the winners.

Now, how you populate your final is left in the hands of the promoters in each region, and some aspect of fan voting is expected to be incorporated into it. Here in Sheffield we ran the following system:

Judging panel - 3 people, marking on technical / performance attributes.

1st round - 9 heats. Fan vote / Judge vote 50:50 split. Top 2 bands progress to the Semis. 2 Wildcard spots given to the bands with highest judge scores that haven't otherwise qualified.

Semi-Finals. Fan/Judge split 25:75. Winners of each of the 5 Semis populate the Final.

Final. 5 bands. Bloodstock rep (in our case, Rob) picked the winner.

I'm not sure what else could be changed to improve it (suggestions welcome). But I think the fact we've put through bands from three different genres in three years shows that we have diversity of bands here at least (Ba'al - Blackened Post-Doom/Sludge, Aonia - Symphonic/Operatioc Metal, Deformation of Man - Groove Metal).

That is interesting to know. Having only been to one m2tm years and years ago, I really didn't know this. Choosing bands with an eye on technical abilities in a live setting actually makes sense. A band might have a great sound, but if they don't cut it live it really wouldn't be good for the festival.

It is tough, I wouldn't want to ban or limit a genre, even I don't like it, it should have a chance - not everyone likes black and power and I wouldn't want anyone banning that. What about an online pool of bands to vote on, or even a ticket holder only vote (quote your number to vote). That might be a logistical/technical nightmare, but it would help to get the right bands for that year- maybe.