Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:07 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:aren't we metalheads supposed to be a more tolerant bunch?

I have seen a lot of evidence to the contrary. Metalheads are tolerant any any Metal that fits into their own image of what Metal should be, but anything else is rejected and shunned. I have seen Metal intolerance on this forum too.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Metal intolerance is fun, as long as its not taken too seriously.

Death to the false.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:07 am

Black Wizard wrote:

I have seen a lot of evidence to the contrary. Metalheads are tolerant any any Metal that fits into their own image of what Metal should be, but anything else is rejected and shunned. I have seen Metal intolerance on this forum too.

Metal seems born of intolerance. It basically came from intolerance of popular music, and still seems to sneer down at it. You have bands like Manowar preaching about "True Metal", Steel Panther making a parody with "death to all but metal", and black metal intolerant enough to get violent and burn down churches. The "elitists" look down on the "core kids", the "core kids" can be even worse towards anything with even a hint of melody, and huge groups that groupthink their way through whatever source they find their music, forming their opinions based on only what the herd thinks.

If anyone ever said metalheads are supposed to be tolerant I'm pretty sure they were wrong.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:59 am

I think there has always been elitist views/snobbery.

I remember when thrash started to get popular in the mid 1980s, a lot of traditional metal fans looked down on the genre as being played too fast, no melody and no proper singing. I loved thrash and had a few lively debates with folk about it. Nu metal and grunge got the same reception from some quarters.

I don't like 'core' type music and would prefer more power metal and thrash on the bill but I also accept it isn't up to me. I will watch other bands/go to the VIP bar. I do worry about the direction of the bookings though.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:45 pm

If you are a false don't entry!
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Think this is the most a NB announcement has been spoken about :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Skippy wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:

Metal seems born of intolerance. It basically came from intolerance of popular music, and still seems to sneer down at it. You have bands like Manowar preaching about "True Metal", Steel Panther making a parody with "death to all but metal", and black metal intolerant enough to get violent and burn down churches. The "elitists" look down on the "core kids", the "core kids" can be even worse towards anything with even a hint of melody, and huge groups that groupthink their way through whatever source they find their music, forming their opinions based on only what the herd thinks.

If anyone ever said metalheads are supposed to be tolerant I'm pretty sure they were wrong.

Seems to be something a bit wrong there. When it started it was popular music. Some of the biggest selling albums of the late 1960s and early 1970s were Metal albums. It was an instant success and came out of virtually nowhere.

Look at the chart positions for Deep Purple for example. Other bands had similar amounts of hit albums, Hawkwind, Black Sabbath, etc. That was when bands were selling a lot of albums to get to number one. They were also playing the biggest shows that you could play back in those days. Some of them were playing forty or fifty dates in large theatres. A similar thing was happening Stateside, helped by Easy Rider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Purple_discography

But equally easy listening could outsell them all. Third biggest selling artist of the 1960s? Rolling Stones, The Who? No. Ken Dodd. That was what they were rebelling against. The kids at the time couldn't even listen to half the songs on the radio as "pop" radio just played easy listening music that granny would like. That's why they had Pirate Radio such as Caroline.

Manowar didn't start until the 1980s and I'm pretty sure that Steel Panther didn't exist in the last millennium and have as much relevance to Heavy Metal as Steps....

Heavy Metal came out of British Blues/Pub/Biker Rock and psychedelia. If anything it was a reaction to hippies singing about love and peace bollocks. That was going out of fashion by 1969. People started to want a good time instead of protesting about Vietnam.

Notice all the bands went from wearing flowery and tie-dyed shirts, beads and sandals to jean, t-shirts, boots and leather jackets virtually overnight. Look at photos of Sabbath, Purple, Priest, Quo etc. prior to 1970. they look like hippies.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:48 pm

As usual I don't have a clue what your arguing. If anything, what you've said has proven my point - metal has always been about intolerance, or at least, rebellion. Going back to Black Sabbath, it's always been OTHER. I never said it wasn't successful - just usually very insular and uncompromising. Certainly not tolerant.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:23 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Third biggest selling artist of the 1960s? Rolling Stones, The Who? No. Ken Dodd.

Well, no. Dodd had the third biggest selling single from the '60s ("Tears" from 1965). But that's very different from being the third biggest selling artist of the decade.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:37 pm

A thrash band called Elyrean just won their MTM in Wolverhampton, if that makes anyone feel better ? :lol:
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Methuen wrote:A thrash band called Elyrean just won their MTM in Wolverhampton, if that makes anyone feel better ? :lol:

Thrash you say?

*houston intensifies*

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Methuen wrote:A thrash band called Elyrean just won their MTM in Wolverhampton, if that makes anyone feel better ? :lol:

As long as they never call themselves involving the word 'core' they'll go down a storm.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:11 pm

More thrash is always welcome!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Black Wizard wrote:

Thrash you say?

*houston intensifies*

Never fear, the human thrash encyclopedia is here :yes:

Seem them twice so far this year and I'd recommend them to anyone whose a fan of Death and Coroner; technical thrash band with bits of death metal thrown in. Anyone who went to HRH metal may have caught them as they were a last minute replacement for...someone :?

Skipped a lot of the previous conversation, something about Ken Dodd-core :eyes:

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 am

houston4044 wrote:Skipped a lot of the previous conversation, something about Ken Dodd-core :eyes:

Now that sounds like a 'core I could get behind.