Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Re: Next Announcement

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:45 pm

I concur that bloodstock dodged a bullet with Manowar. I'm a big fan of their music and really enjoyed them in Birmingham, but (if the rumours are true) that is just unacceptable. I hope they are never announced for the fest.

... I'm pretty sure that's a wish that will most certainly come true.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:02 pm

There isn't a snowball in hell's chance of Manowar ever being announced for bloodstock

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10 am

houston4044 wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:There's a tweet going around from someone supposedly linked with the back stage crew. Basically it states that Manowar wanted to soundcheck at the time Knotfest was on. You know, when there's going to be bands on that actual stage. LOL.

One way to replace the dull repetitive adverts between bands (yes I'm aware it's not plausible) :lol:

At Hellfest they run 2x main stages side by side with only a small break in-between.

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:18 pm

What's left to announce? Just the New Blood bands?

RhysyG
Powermetal Child

Postby RhysyG » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:52 am

Baldy77 wrote:What's left to announce? Just the New Blood bands?

Looks like it, doesn’t seem to be any space left for other stages.

Classless from Manowar too if that sound check issue was the case. Complete downer for the fans indeed.

Also, are Bloodstock announcing a 2020 headliner at the fest this year?

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:46 am

RhysyG wrote:
Baldy77 wrote:What's left to announce? Just the New Blood bands?

Looks like it, doesn’t seem to be any space left for other stages.

Classless from Manowar too if that sound check issue was the case. Complete downer for the fans indeed.

Also, are Bloodstock announcing a 2020 headliner at the fest this year?

I'm sure Vicky mentioned that there would be a band announcement at the festival. Can't remember if it was headliner or special guest.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:04 am

Haldamir319 wrote:I'm sure Vicky mentioned that there would be a band announcement at the festival. Can't remember if it was headliner or special guest.

What awful rumours are circulating this time ?

It'll be fun to see if they can top the Parkway drama with whoever they've picked.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 am

Slipknot. Lololololo
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 am

From what I can tell, the Volbeat tour has practically sold out already (apart from the ridiculously expensive fan/vip packages) so they wouldn't need to wait until after the tour to announce them, if that's what they had originally planned.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:27 am

bloodofthekings wrote:From what I can tell, the Volbeat tour has practically sold out already (apart from the ridiculously expensive fan/vip packages) so they wouldn't need to wait until after the tour to announce them, if that's what they had originally planned.

Not sure how that announcement will go down, but I for one would certainly be pleased to see them
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 pm

Czech's Mate wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:From what I can tell, the Volbeat tour has practically sold out already (apart from the ridiculously expensive fan/vip packages) so they wouldn't need to wait until after the tour to announce them, if that's what they had originally planned.

Not sure how that announcement will go down, but I for one would certainly be pleased to see them

It would be controversial for sure (which is a shame but let's put that aside for a moment), but I think the organisers have shown that they're past the point of giving a toss about that now. I remember in 2017 when they announced Gojira and Nightwish at the festival and both received split reactions from pretty much every group of people I came into contact with over the weekend but both ended up drawing big crowds the following year which is all the organisers really care about.

Ultimately, the festival has only got itself to blame for this. They've moved so far from what they started out as back in the indoor days (and tbf, if they wanted to make a go of selling a 3-day outdoor festival then they had to diversify to some extent, I appreciate) but at the same time tried to retain the same image and then seemed confused as to why those original fans started to complain or drift away when the line-up no longer catered to their tastes.

They will still try and keep those old indoor fans happy (such as booking Nightwish, Sabaton, Scorpions, etc.) because they know they have to (as they haven't attracted enough of a new audience to solely rely on yet) but will also try and push the festival into a different direction more in tune with Vicky's personal tastes and that of a younger, more Download-esque fanbase. This has created a wider audience which whilst diverse, can often be split into groups whose tastes are diametrically opposed to each other.

I sympathise with the bookers up to a point. They took on the responsibility of growing a niche festival into a much bigger one that could run outdoors over 3 days and they knew they had to widen the scope of the bands they booked in order to do so. This was always going to lead to an audience with broader (and at times, more conflicting) tastes. I might be wrong but whether it's Volbeat or Parkway Drive, if they book a headliner which is seen as 'risky' then all that really matters is if that band is big enough to pull it off at the time - and I think both of those probably are (even PwD). Hell, a band like Gojira would never have been booked back in the indoor days but even though I don't like them, I'll admit they more than pulled it off last year.

Where they have made mistakes is by both booking a band that used to be big, but just aren't any more (e.g. Trivium) and by not utilising the second stage more effectively to offer a better alternative to whatever headliner/sub-headliner combination they have booked on the main stage - the latter is particularly important as with the absence of a double main stage set up like a lot of the European festivals, this makes the appeal of the Sophie tent even more important. If all you've got to draw people's attention other than your main stage is one band (two at the most) of name value and then a bunch of filler than wouldn't be out of place on the New Blood stage, then it's no wonder people attach a higher level of importance to the main stage headliners/sub-headliners and then react more passionately when it's a band they don't like.

I honestly think that if the festival had the double main stage set up as many festivals do in Europe, and the second stage had more bands that people cared about, then the reaction to Parkway Drive's announcement (or the expected reaction to a Volbeat announcement) wouldn't be nearly as vehement.
Last edited by bloodofthekings on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:37 pm

My money is on Behemoth headlining next year 8)

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:53 pm

WorMzy wrote:Slipknot. Lololololo

Did people actually suggest them? :?

As for Volbeat, I think they would be a good headliner. I am quite apathetic to their music, I find neither bad nor good, but I saw them open the main stage at one of the Sonispheres and they were great.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
WorMzy wrote:Slipknot. Lololololo

Did people actually suggest them? :?

No idea, it was just the shittiest band I could think of at the time of posting. :P
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:09 pm

I am almost expecting Behemoth, Devin Townsend and Volbeat next year.

I figure Saxon will be there too as they headlined the first year and 2020 is the 20th anniversary. Saxon have also said they have some special shows lined up for 2020.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!