Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Methuen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:08 pm

Tet wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Book bands Metal Hammer think are shite, might end up with some brilliant bands considering their opinions :lol:

I genuinely used to buy Kerrang! in the '90s to read their reviews and find out which bands they hated, because that would probably mean I might like them. I discovered Primal Fear like that, for example.

That sounds like an excellent strategy !

"Dear Vicky - here are the last ten years' Metal Hammer and Kerrang back issues. Don't book anything you see on the front cover"
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Tet wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Book bands Metal Hammer think are shite, might end up with some brilliant bands considering their opinions :lol:

I genuinely used to buy Kerrang! in the '90s to read their reviews and find out which bands they hated, because that would probably mean I might like them. I discovered Primal Fear like that, for example.

I got into King Diamond after reading a one K review of one of his albums in Kerrang in the mid 90s that slagged him off as being outdated and irrelevant, which meant the album was a must buy for me.

The was the time when they were saying Sepultura's Roots was the best album ever, and anything that didn't wear Adidas should be slated.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Methuen wrote:"Dear Vicky - here are the last ten years' Metal Hammer and Kerrang back issues. Don't book anything you see on the front cover"

Unfortunately Vicky seems to look through back issues of MH and K! from 20 years ago and book bands they were plugging back then that never got anywhere....if no one cared about them then, are they really worth bothering with now????

See - Stuck Mojo, Misery Loves Co, Kill 2 This, Pro Pain, Earthtone 9, Prong etc...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 am

So, what do we reckon... announcement tomorrow (2 weeks since last) or next?

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:05 am

There are still three main stage spots to be filled - one on each day. Possibilities for these are Iron Saviour (new album just released), Visions of Atlantis (a couple of UK shows with Kamelot this week) and Cellar Darling (UK tour about to start and new album to be released on Friday). Just one of those bands on main stage on Saturday would make a big difference for me. However, all three are too melodic for Bloodstock and the next announcement, whenever it is, will probably be more Hardcore bands. Sad!

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:So, what do we reckon... announcement tomorrow (2 weeks since last) or next?

Im hoping for 1

I think announcements usually start to average 1 every 2 weeks at this time of year normally unless my memory is being shit

JD_B3E5
Warrior of Metal

Postby JD_B3E5 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Black Wizard wrote:There are still three main stage spots to be filled - one on each day. Possibilities for these are Iron Saviour (new album just released), Visions of Atlantis (a couple of UK shows with Kamelot this week) and Cellar Darling (UK tour about to start and new album to be released on Friday). Just one of those bands on main stage on Saturday would make a big difference for me. However, all three are too melodic for Bloodstock and the next announcement, whenever it is, will probably be more Hardcore bands. Sad!

Hoping for Vio-Lence to make an appearance. It could be quite special considering they've never played in the UK before.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Methuen wrote:"Dear Vicky - here are the last ten years' Metal Hammer and Kerrang back issues. Don't book anything you see on the front cover"

Please welcome Rise To Remain, Sacred Mother Tongue, Young Guns and Heaven's Basement to BOA! what do you mean they broke up? I just read about them in Kerrang?!

JD_B3E5 wrote:Hoping for Vio-Lence to make an appearance. It could be quite special considering they've never played in the UK before.

I'd love to see them play the UK but can't see them doing a one off date without other European dates and I can't see any :(

Haldamir319 wrote:So, what do we reckon... announcement tomorrow (2 weeks since last) or next?

Probably next

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:58 pm

JD_B3E5 wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:There are still three main stage spots to be filled - one on each day. Possibilities for these are Iron Saviour (new album just released), Visions of Atlantis (a couple of UK shows with Kamelot this week) and Cellar Darling (UK tour about to start and new album to be released on Friday). Just one of those bands on main stage on Saturday would make a big difference for me. However, all three are too melodic for Bloodstock and the next announcement, whenever it is, will probably be more Hardcore bands. Sad!

Hoping for Vio-Lence to make an appearance. It could be quite special considering they've never played in the UK before.

I genuinely can't tell if your joking or not. Thankfully they've been confirmed as only playing one European date.

As much as I'd like bands like Cellar Darling or Visions of Atlantis, we aren't going to get anything like that as openers and that's probably all we have left. I imagine they'll all be middling UK bands noone can really get excited for. After 3 absolutely dreadful announcements in a row I'm holding out no hope for the rest of the lineup.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Seems its not a two week schedule at present, next week hopefully.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:06 am

Given that the only slots left seem to be openers for the main stage, slots for the New Blood stage and some on the bottom half of the Sophie tent, I can't say I really care all that much any more, as these will likely just be full of bands hardly anyone has heard of.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:37 pm

^ Which is exactly why I was saying before they should have known bands (at least within and to fans of their respective genre) throughout the whole day, rather than just treating it as headliner -> sub-headliner -> new blood part.2

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:18 pm

I don't think there have been unknown bands as openers for years. Every one is a signed or an upcoming band that was on the circuit. Not that I'm saying they are all good but they are known.

Last five years.

Feed The Rhino/Nailed To Obscurity/Monument
Forever Still/Fallujah/Broken Teeth
Hark/Cambion/Ghost Bath
Savage Messiah/Agalloch (ignore Nuclear Assault as they played earlier as they had to be elsewhere)
Bloodshot Dawn/Evil Scarecrow/Arthemis

Is anyone seriously suggesting those are unknowns?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:02 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think there have been unknown bands as openers for years. Every one is a signed or an upcoming band that was on the circuit. Not that I'm saying they are all good but they are known.

Last five years.

Hark/Cambion/Ghost Bath
Savage Messiah/Agalloch (ignore Nuclear Assault as they played earlier as they had to be elsewhere)

Quite a few of them, yeah. I'd never heard of a lot of them - namely Forever Still, Nailed to Obscurity, Broken Teeth, Incite this year... Those that I have heard of are so ubiquitous over here that they aren't particularly exciting. Not going to say they are all BAD, I've really enjoyed quite a few of those bands, but they aren't the biggest of names.

My personal predictions for the last 3 mainstage bands are Light the Torch above Incite, Conjurer opening the Saturday and someone like Florence Black opening the Sunday. None of that excites me much but I can see it happening.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:16 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Hark/Cambion/Ghost Bath

Errr.....yeah.

Ghost Bath, Aggalloch and Evil Scarecrow are well known, and Arthemis, Bloodshot Dawn, Savage Messiah and Monument are probably known by most.

BUT....Forever Still, Broken Teeth, Feed The Rhino, Fallujah, Hark, Cambion, and Nailed To Obscurity? I'd certainly never heard of any of them before they were announced, and I doubt many others had either.