Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Bagpuss66
Lowly Peon
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Bagpuss66 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:27 pm

This is on a week after BOA, possible Zeal and Ardor announcement?
And a few other bands from the bill...
https://arctangent.co.uk/line-up/

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5015
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:28 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Feed The Rhino/Nailed To Obscurity/Monument
Forever Still/Fallujah/Broken Teeth
Hark/Cambion/Ghost Bath
Savage Messiah/Agalloch (ignore Nuclear Assault as they played earlier as they had to be elsewhere)
Bloodshot Dawn/Evil Scarecrow/Arthemis

Is anyone seriously suggesting those are unknowns?


Errr.....yeah.

Ghost Bath, Aggalloch and Evil Scarecrow are well known, and Arthemis, Bloodshot Dawn, Savage Messiah and Monument are probably known by most.

BUT....Forever Still, Broken Teeth, Feed The Rhino, Fallujah, Hark, Cambion, and Nailed To Obscurity? I'd certainly never heard of any of them before they were announced, and I doubt many others had either.


I probably should have said "all unknown" I understand that a few might have passed people by.

But most of them were signed bands at the time and the others are on the circuit. I've seen half of them at other events. Some have even played BOA previously.

Then again some on here hadn't even heard of Parkway Drive, not hadn't listened to them which I can understand. But hadn't even heard of them. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7790
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Soze » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Skippy wrote:
JD_B3E5 wrote:Hoping for Vio-Lence to make an appearance. It could be quite special considering they've never played in the UK before.

I genuinely can't tell if your joking or not. Thankfully they've been confirmed as only playing one European date.


I've become confused here...are you suggesting he's joking about Vio-lence never having played the UK or joking to wish they'd be booked, insinuating that they're crap? Eternal Nightmare was an incredible album and I'd be chuffed to bits to see them live!

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2278
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Skippy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 am

Soze wrote:
Skippy wrote:
JD_B3E5 wrote:Hoping for Vio-Lence to make an appearance. It could be quite special considering they've never played in the UK before.

I genuinely can't tell if your joking or not. Thankfully they've been confirmed as only playing one European date.


I've become confused here...are you suggesting he's joking about Vio-lence never having played the UK or joking to wish they'd be booked, insinuating that they're crap? Eternal Nightmare was an incredible album and I'd be chuffed to bits to see them live!

He was replying to someone asking for more melodic bands. But yes, they are crap. Generic thrash that couldn't make it on their own, only got known because members joined Machine Head. They are exactly the kind of shit that Vicky will book next year.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
JD_B3E5
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 am
Location: Southampton

Re: Next Announcement

Postby JD_B3E5 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:09 am

Skippy wrote:
Soze wrote:
Skippy wrote:I genuinely can't tell if your joking or not. Thankfully they've been confirmed as only playing one European date.


I've become confused here...are you suggesting he's joking about Vio-lence never having played the UK or joking to wish they'd be booked, insinuating that they're crap? Eternal Nightmare was an incredible album and I'd be chuffed to bits to see them live!

He was replying to someone asking for more melodic bands. But yes, they are crap. Generic thrash that couldn't make it on their own, only got known because members joined Machine Head. They are exactly the kind of shit that Vicky will book next year.


Eternal Nightmare and Dark Angel's Darkness Descends are the two albums that define Thrash.

User avatar
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2581
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:31 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Feed The Rhino/Nailed To Obscurity/Monument
Forever Still/Fallujah/Broken Teeth
Hark/Cambion/Ghost Bath
Savage Messiah/Agalloch (ignore Nuclear Assault as they played earlier as they had to be elsewhere)
Bloodshot Dawn/Evil Scarecrow/Arthemis

Is anyone seriously suggesting those are unknowns?


Errr.....yeah.

Ghost Bath, Aggalloch and Evil Scarecrow are well known, and Arthemis, Bloodshot Dawn, Savage Messiah and Monument are probably known by most.

BUT....Forever Still, Broken Teeth, Feed The Rhino, Fallujah, Hark, Cambion, and Nailed To Obscurity? I'd certainly never heard of any of them before they were announced, and I doubt many others had either.


I'd heard of Broken Teeth, Feed the Rhino, Fallujah, Hark and Cambion tbf.
Image

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:32 am

Haldamir319 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Feed The Rhino/Nailed To Obscurity/Monument
Forever Still/Fallujah/Broken Teeth
Hark/Cambion/Ghost Bath
Savage Messiah/Agalloch (ignore Nuclear Assault as they played earlier as they had to be elsewhere)
Bloodshot Dawn/Evil Scarecrow/Arthemis

Is anyone seriously suggesting those are unknowns?


Errr.....yeah.

Ghost Bath, Aggalloch and Evil Scarecrow are well known, and Arthemis, Bloodshot Dawn, Savage Messiah and Monument are probably known by most.

BUT....Forever Still, Broken Teeth, Feed The Rhino, Fallujah, Hark, Cambion, and Nailed To Obscurity? I'd certainly never heard of any of them before they were announced, and I doubt many others had either.


I'd heard of Broken Teeth, Feed the Rhino, Fallujah, Hark and Cambion tbf.


I'd still see you're in the minority in terms of festival goers though, and even you haven't heard of Forever Still.

For me this just reinforces that the opening bands our nearly always nobodies these days, and the first bands on the main stage should really be on the Sophie.

User avatar
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2581
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Sheffield
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:41 am

I mean, Feed the Rhino have been around for years, and Broken Teeth and Fallujah are not small bands - neither are genres are particularly enjoy or even look out for but I'd heard of them? Cambion iirc had played BOA before. Hark is probably fair enough - I knew them because they toured with a band from around here just prior.

I'll grant you Forever Still though. I hadn't heard of them at all. gandalf's point stands though - these are all signed bands or bands with a buzz of some kind in their own scenes.
Image

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:58 pm
Location: Slough

Re: Next Announcement

Postby jwh20 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:24 am

FWIW I'm ambivalent toward them, as in I would watch them if there, but don't like them enough to listen to them at home (too techy for me) but loads of my friends LOVE Fallujah, and I've known of them since they supported suffocation in 2013.

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8832
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:57 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:I'd heard of Broken Teeth, Feed the Rhino, Fallujah, Hark and Cambion tbf.


I'd still see you're in the minority in terms of festival goers though, and even you haven't heard of Forever Still.

Heh. Forever Still were one of the few on that list that I did know. I'm guessing to some extent it's a regional thing, because I'd never heard of Broken Teeth or Feed The Rhino before they were booked for Bloodstock. Or Ghost Bath, Hark and Nailed To Obscurity, for that matter.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5015
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Skippy wrote:
Soze wrote:
Skippy wrote:I genuinely can't tell if your joking or not. Thankfully they've been confirmed as only playing one European date.


I've become confused here...are you suggesting he's joking about Vio-lence never having played the UK or joking to wish they'd be booked, insinuating that they're crap? Eternal Nightmare was an incredible album and I'd be chuffed to bits to see them live!

He was replying to someone asking for more melodic bands. But yes, they are crap. Generic thrash that couldn't make it on their own, only got known because members joined Machine Head. They are exactly the kind of shit that Vicky will book next year.


You're looking at it from thirty years later. Vio-lence were a very well known band years before Machine Head existed.

I even bought the vomit pack of the 10" single from HMV. Looked as though it was Campbells vegetable soup. :hurl:

They were on a major record label and were getting hyped by Metal Hammer, Metal Forces and Kerrang! (when it was still relevant).
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7790
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Soze » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Yeah, Eternal Nightmare was a big thing when it came out, was hyped up to fuck. Granted it was the only really great album Vio-lence made but they certainly weren't unknown, they were easily on the same level of popularity as the likes of Sacred Reich and Death Angel when that debut came out.

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:30 am

bloodfiend wrote:For me this just reinforces that the opening bands our nearly always nobodies these days, and the first bands on the main stage should really be on the Sophie.


I wouldn't call them nobodies, they've all been on the circuit for awhile and have stood out in a way that people have at least heard of them for the most part. Though I'd agree that they could just as easily fit on the Sophie stage.

Skippy wrote:My personal predictions for the last 3 mainstage bands are Light the Torch above Incite.


I could see that working but on the Saturday, market them as Howard Jones' band to the PwD and it'll probably get a better reception than on the Friday.

The idea flashed through my head that Vio-Lence could sub the Sophie stage, given Raging Speedhorn is one of the other subs; I think I've got to scale back my hopes.

SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:20 pm

houston4044 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:The idea flashed through my head that Vio-Lence could sub the Sophie stage, given Raging Speedhorn is one of the other subs; I think I've got to scale back my hopes.


Vio-lence have confirmed EU exclusivity with Alcatraz festival which rules out any other Europe/UK shows for this year.


I am personally hoping for at least Equillibrium for one of remaining main stage slots as they're playing other summer fests this year.

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:59 am

Re: Next Announcement

Postby J.Ross29 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:23 pm

light the torch is a good shout. After all the big names have been announced though I tend to not mind whether they are unknown or not. I kinda like the unknown element of it. I'm yet to go to a festival and not discover something new that I love