Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:41 am

As much as I'd love it to be Devin I'm not 100% sure he'll be the one announced at the fest as he' got a tour in December that hasn't sold out (yet anyway). Can't see BOA jumping the gun and announcing the announcement if there is still a chance they have to pull it because Devin's still trying to push his own tour).

As for Def Leppard? Unless someone has a crystal ball and can forsee a huge drop off in their popularity why would they go from headlining a 100k capacity festival for an ~15k event in one year?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Could have seen DL doing it a few years ago - they were a theatre sized band who could only do arenas with a co-healdliner and strong opener. I saw them in the Alhambra in Bradford on the X tour, but they've just done their biggest gigs in years and selling them out without sharing the bill, so there's little chance of them appearing.

Whitesnake on the other hand - not my first choice due to Coverdale's waning voice - could be in with a shout, but reckon it will be someone like Devin announced on the day. Maybe someone like Dream Theater?
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:45 pm

houston4044 wrote:As for Def Leppard? Unless someone has a crystal ball and can forsee a huge drop off in their popularity why would they go from headlining a 100k capacity festival for an ~15k event in one year?

I just checked with my crystal ball and it's not going to happen. Where did the Def Leppard suggestion come from anyway? Silly people on Facebook?

someone else wrote:reckon it will be someone like Devin announced on the day. Maybe someone like Dream Theater?

Might be Dream Theater, but I'm pretty sure they'll be back in Europe for headline theatre/arena shows towards the end of this year or early next year. They don't seem much like a Bloodstock headliner to me but I'm a big fan so would be pretty happy.

I saw someone mention that Vicky would love to book Architects. They would be shit Bloodstock headliner but I can see them being announced to build on the "momentum" of Parkway Drive. That would suck.

As for Bring Me The Horizon, their latest album was number one in the official chart so they're surely far too big for Bloodstock now (as well as being completely shit). I'm sure they'll headline Reading/Leeds or Download in the near future.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I saw someone mention that Vicky would love to book Architects. They would be shit Bloodstock headliner but I can see them being announced to build on the "momentum" of Parkway Drive. That would suck.

Given Vicky's penchant for crap metalcore bands I wouldn't rule it out. Although I expect that even she realises that Parkway Drive could go one of two ways so I would have thought they would wait and see how PD go down before going for another band of that ilk.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:49 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Given Vicky's penchant for crap metalcore bands I wouldn't rule it out. Although I expect that even she realises that Parkway Drive could go one of two ways so I would have thought they would wait and see how PD go down before going for another band of that ilk.

If that's who's available than that's who it very well could be. BOA 2020 may be headlined by Architects and Killswitch Engage. As much as I like Killswitch I'm not sure I'd want them to be at BOA at I don't think they're the sort of Metal that should be at BOA, at least not in significant slots. If this is what happens for next year then I fear it would set the direction of the festival for good as a lot of new attendees will come for that sort of Metal and, from a financial point of view, it might make sense to keep those people happy.

Megadave and Amon Amarth would be slightly weak announcements seeing as they both headlined in 2017, but I like both bands and they were great in 2017 so would welcome them back (and they're both better than Architects!). The likes of Helloween, Within Temptation and Volbeat are definite possibilities though.

Is the headliner announcement due to take place between Dimmu Borgir and Scorpions? If so then I doubt they'd announce someone like Architects when most of the Parkway Drive fans will have left by then.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Black Wizard wrote:

Is the headliner announcement due to take place between Dimmu Borgir and Scorpions? If so then I doubt they'd announce someone like Architects when most of the Parkway Drive fans will have left by then.

It'll definitely be obvious what kind of thing we're in for depending on when they announce. Before Sabaton we'll probably get some kind of smaller but popular band - Amon Amarth, Helloween, Devin, etc. Before Parkway it'll be mainstream crap. Before Scorpions it'll probably be someone of the ilk of Megadeth or Whitesnake.

Personally I'm not really hoping for anyone at the minute. In fact, I'm hoping they go for much smaller bands to headline, so maybe they'll actually start investing in bigger/rarer bands for the rest of the lineup. They've missed out on so much these last few years.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:01 pm

I really liked the 2015 approach where the daily undercards were so strong I didn't care that 2 of the headliners were shite (Rob Zombie wasn't great either).
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Def Leppard are way too big for Bloodstock. Sadly Helloween aren't big enough in the UK for a headline slot. Megadeth, Ghost, Amon Amarth...great bands but they've all headlined recently. Shit like Architects is probably the most likely!

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Soze wrote:Def Leppard are way too big for Bloodstock. Sadly Helloween aren't big enough in the UK for a headline slot. Megadeth, Ghost, Amon Amarth...great bands but they've all headlined recently. Shit like Architects is probably the most likely!

I reckon Ghost will be moving on to bigger things than Bloodstock now. They'll be headlining Download in five years I think. Their headline set at Bloodstock came at just the right time for both the band and the festival.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:34 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I expect that even she realises that Parkway Drive could go one of two ways so I would have thought they would wait and see how PD go down before going for another band of that ilk.

Problem with that is that bands/fests book far in advance so leaving it until this years fest would possibly be too late. Can't imagine a band of Architects stature (who wouldn't look out of place at the likes of DL or R+L) would wait around on BOA and would just push ahead with other plans.

Probably end up being a band doing a European tour so likely to know who it is from Wacken or another fest announcing it prior to BOA.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:49 am

Soze wrote:Def Leppard are way too big for Bloodstock. Sadly Helloween aren't big enough in the UK for a headline slot. Megadeth, Ghost, Amon Amarth...great bands but they've all headlined recently. Shit like Architects is probably the most likely!

There's an interview with Parkway Drive's frontman in Metal Hammer - he's surprised that his band weren't particularly adored when supporting Iron Maiden. Something along the lines of "well, crowds with Killswitch were AWESOMELOL, but Maiden's crowd just stood with their arms folded waiting for us to get off".

My point - the metalcore bubble seems to be a thing, so despite BOA this year not even selling out the limited VIP stuff yet (none of it, which is a surprise !), we are likely to get more of it next year, since there's likely to be a whole cloud of day tickets shifted for Saturday confirming that it's the future.

Y'know, they coulllllld book Gamma Ray, and have a party, but it's likely to be someone in a vest moaning about his ex girlfriend or whatever.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:32 am

Gamma Ray would be excellent.

Primal Fear and Gloryhammer would also make me happy.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Butcher Babies or Kerbdog?

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:41 am

i0th wrote:My headliner hope is definitely Volbeat.

Architects can fuck off massively.

Would be happy with the former and agree 100% with the latter
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Other than having heard the name I know nothing about Architects, I couldn't name a song or album, or even tell you what subgenre they are. Are they post-metal, deathcore, djent, metalcore, hardcore, prog? I genuinely have no idea. They're so far off my radar I couldn't tell you whether they play 500,1500,5000 or arena size venues. Parkway Drive I'm much more aware of, even before the announcement. Is that just me, or just how bad it's gotten.