Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Methuen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Skippy wrote:I was watching footage from a dance festival the other day which was basically Colonel Sanders doing a DJ set. I'm wondering if that's the way live music is going to go - sure, there are stage sponsorships and endorsements for musicians, but I don't think we're far away from companies paying bands to stop on stage and talk about Coca Cola for 5 minutes.

Generic Nuclear Blast Band, bought to you by Red Bull and McDonalds !

New and spooky Post-Black Metal Band, bought to you by Red Wine and Cigarettes !

Kingsmill and Sam Smith Breweries Present: Paradise Lost !

Obnoxious Metalcore band proudly uses Lush products (see banners for details)
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Methuen wrote:
Skippy wrote:I was watching footage from a dance festival the other day which was basically Colonel Sanders doing a DJ set. I'm wondering if that's the way live music is going to go - sure, there are stage sponsorships and endorsements for musicians, but I don't think we're far away from companies paying bands to stop on stage and talk about Coca Cola for 5 minutes.

Generic Nuclear Blast Band, bought to you by Red Bull and McDonalds !

New and spooky Post-Black Metal Band, bought to you by Red Wine and Cigarettes !

Kingsmill and Sam Smith Breweries Present: Paradise Lost !

Obnoxious Metalcore band proudly uses Lush products (see banners for details)

PL are definitely missing a trick there..
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Is it this Tuesday for another announcement or the week after?

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:05 pm

I saw Architects supporting BMTH in 07 when I was in college. Wasn't a big fan of their music and have seen them maybe 4/5 times since, just because they've been supporting someone or have been at a fest. Never gone out of my way to see them or listen to them really. Their new album though is easily the best work they've ever out out and there are much worse bands that could headline. Would rather a British band that hasn't headlined a UK festival before be given the chance to do so and impress than someone that has done so multiple times.

Would also rather hear someone talk positively about politics than hear FFDP go on about how they're gonna fight the stage crew again

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:00 pm

I have no idea if Architects are any good or not, I'm assuming they're not because even back when I listened to nothing but Prog I didn't care for them much. Having said that they shouldn't be headlining BOA because they're not a metal band, fair enough the bookers can deviate from metal here and there on the bill, but the headliner should always be a metal band, especially with the metal is becoming more niche. Like I've said before, booking Hardcore for a metal festival and expecting your fans not to notice is incredibly tone-deaf, maybe the BBC would group them all as "that heavy stuff", but organisers of a metal festival know the difference. Having one or 2 hardcore bands is fine, but they're doing such an uninspiring job in booking metal bands that it weakens the bill as a whole.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Seem like a bunch of spoilt little rich kids trying to be edgy to me...

As for politics at gigs and festivals, keep it at home unless it's that kind of festival or gig. If I went to Glastonbury or a Billy Bragg gig I expect it. I don't expect politics at a Heavy Metal festival. Songs about nuclear war maybe, but not politics.

That includes dickhead comedians and announcers between bands. We know Donald Trump is a bit of a twat, but we want a few days where the real world doesn't exist. Where we can forget the day jobs and drink a few beers. Not much to ask is it?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Smerphy wrote:they're not a metal band

No?

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:41 am

I have to say that in the 5 years I have been going to Bloodstock, this is the most consistently negative I have seen the atmosphere on here (I include myself in this).

I have my ticket and will be in VIP as usual but I can't summon up any excitement and I suspect there won't be a great atmosphere (expecting a weekend consisting of PD fans engaging in debates/arguing/moaning). I suspect Sat will be particularly brutal and I will be at the lower stages or take a trip to Lichfield.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:52 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:I have to say that in the 5 years I have been going to Bloodstock, this is the most consistently negative I have seen the atmosphere on here (I include myself in this).

I have my ticket and will be in VIP as usual but I can't summon up any excitement and I suspect there won't be a great atmosphere (expecting a weekend consisting of PD fans engaging in debates/arguing/moaning). I suspect Sat will be particularly brutal and I will be at the lower stages or take a trip to Lichfield.

It's been a great many years since I watched more mainstage bands than Sophie bands, Sophie has been the better stage for a long time, but even then I still think I'm in the same boat for the Saturday. Unless all of the good M2TM entries end up on Saturday I might* go to Lichfield or Burton and kill time between Scarecrow and Taake. I'm not really a campsite drinking person.

*Probably more likely that, given Friday's last 3, I'll get uproariously drunk the night before and need to sleep instead.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:33 am

robin8585 wrote: Unless all of the good M2TM entries end up on Saturday I might* go to Lichfield or Burton and kill time between Scarecrow and Taake. I'm not really a campsite drinking person.

lol why all the interest in taking a nice trip to Lichfield?

Seemed like a bit of a shithole whenever I've wandered around there.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:55 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:(expecting a weekend consisting of PD fans engaging in debates/arguing/moaning)

Really? Apart from having a few more people sitting around at the fringes/near the back of stages I'm not expecting any changes.

Unless you mean the people at the bars/drinking in the campsites complaining, in which case wouldn't that be the detractors moaning? :lol:

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:50 am

some_thing_wild wrote:
Smerphy wrote:they're not a metal band

No?

Not in the traditional sense, I'd call them Hardcore personally, they're certainly not the kind of band I'd expect to have a lot of crossover with the BOA crowd.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:37 pm

Does it really matter? They are playing some fest called All Points East this year and haven't played DL or R+L for at least 2 years, probably do those fests next year before considering BOA.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:42 pm

I wouldn't call them hardcore from the odd track I've heard. The vocals are certainly in that hardcore/metalcore area, but they seem to have a djenty/prog metal sound mixed with metalcore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqRYBWyvbRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvWbcK3YQ_o

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Seem like a bunch of spoilt little rich kids trying to be edgy to me...

As for politics at gigs and festivals, keep it at home unless it's that kind of festival or gig. If I went to Glastonbury or a Billy Bragg gig I expect it. I don't expect politics at a Heavy Metal festival. Songs about nuclear war maybe, but not politics.

That includes dickhead comedians and announcers between bands. We know Donald Trump is a bit of a twat, but we want a few days where the real world doesn't exist. Where we can forget the day jobs and drink a few beers. Not much to ask is it?

Completely agree. That announcer between bands has been obsessed with Trump for the last couple of years. For me, Bloodstock is just an escape for 4 days so would be nice to be able to forget the issues of the world for those days. We hear about them enough every other day of the year.

Back to the music, I really hope Architects don't headline. I really tried with their latest album but could only get half way through. To me it's just monotonous shouty rubbish, but that's the sort of thing that people apparently love these days, with bands like Code Orange and Ithaca being classed as 'the future of metal'. Would take Parkway Drive over any of them every day of the week.

Doubt we'll get another announcement today either, nothing has been mentioned and the last few have been 3 weeks apart so I reckon the next one will be next week.