Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Smerphy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:29 pm

If that's true all I can say is I'm totally confused, why would a metal festival all of a sudden turn around and start booking Hardcore bands? The existing fans don't want it, it doesn't seem to bring in that many more people, and from what I'm sensing a lot of the interest in Hardcore is dying down, while interest in the underground metal scene is gradually increasing again.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:55 pm

Smerphy wrote:If that's true all I can say is I'm totally confused, why would a metal festival all of a sudden turn around and start booking Hardcore bands? The existing fans don't want it, it doesn't seem to bring in that many more people, and from what I'm sensing a lot of the interest in Hardcore is dying down, while interest in the underground metal scene is gradually increasing again.

Because it's what the person in charge of booking bands listens to. :eyes:
I see the bad moon arising.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:39 am

Strong rumour amongst the campsite was that Devin and Behemoth (with Orchestra) are 2 of the 3 headliners.

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 am

I'm not making the mistake I made last year, I'm waiting till all three headliners are announced before I buy a ticket. I wish they'd end their policy of having nobody but the headliner perform so this would be less a of a problem. It would mean that the Sophie and/or the New Blood could have a proper headliner.

I don't mind Skindred, seen them a million times like Anthrax and while they never offer anything new they can be relied on to at least get the crowd going. A decent but not amazing booking for a special guest slot.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:22 am

Vicky's IG seems to relishing in some kind of vindication for PWD - and in all fairness there were loads there to see them. Thought they were OK, a little bland but not too wide of the mark as some of the more melodic stuff had an In Flames sound. As for hardcore, bands like SOIA have been playing metal festivals for 30 years alongside what we would consider traditional BOA bands.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:33 am

Haldamir319 wrote:Strong rumour amongst the campsite was that Devin and Behemoth (with Orchestra) are 2 of the 3 headliners.

Would be amazed if either of them are headliners.

Devon plays here all the time and is more likes place anyway, Behemoth were SG last time, and their profile hasn't risen since then.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Parkway's show was magnificent. Great use of lighting and general pyro, and the sound was really good for them. Admittedly, if you don't like their style of music, then you may struggle, but that was definitely a headliner worthy show from a talented band.

We had about 10 people in our group, most of which knew little about them and/or don't listen to metalcore or contemporary heavy metal - literally every single one picked them as the band of the weekend.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Strong rumour amongst the campsite was that Devin and Behemoth (with Orchestra) are 2 of the 3 headliners.

No way will they have what would essentially be 2 bump ups as headliners, the only way that would happen is if the 3rd headliners was someone like Manowar.

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:18 pm

How were the crowds for Parkway compared to Sabatron and Scorps? I left the arena after Anthrax, didn't come back till Taake was on. You could spot those who had come to see Parkway a mile off.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Parkway's show was magnificent. Great use of lighting and general pyro, and the sound was really good for them. Admittedly, if you don't like their style of music, then you may struggle, but that was definitely a headliner worthy show from a talented band.

We had about 10 people in our group, most of which knew little about them and/or don't listen to metalcore or contemporary heavy metal - literally every single one picked them as the band of the weekend.

Yeah, Parkway's show was fine. Not to my tastes musically but I thought their set was better than Scorpions (and this is coming from someone who really likes Scorpions). Interesting to see them use the entire stage for pyro as well, I don't think I recall anyone doing that before.

As for Devin/Behemoth - I could see Devin being a headliner, it'll have been 9 years since his last appearance and he's only got bigger here in the UK since his last SG slot. Behemoth would be less likely being as they were SG not so long back.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Tankplanker wrote:How were the crowds for Parkway compared to Sabatron and Scorps? I left the arena after Anthrax, didn't come back till Taake was on. You could spot those who had come to see Parkway a mile off.

If u mean size, then Parkway got a big crowd and kept them and put on quite a show. The music isn't for me so after the first 5 or 6 songs, I went to look around some stalls and then came back for the last part of the set. Crowd was a similar size to Scorpions and as much as it pains me to say it, was probably slightly bigger than Sabaton's but not by much.

If u mean atmosphere and behaviour then it was fine from what I saw. Yes, the Parkway day-trippers were obvious but nobody caused any trouble from.what I could tell.

Seems like all the fuss about 'knuckle-draggers' was for nothing. And anyone who doubted whether they could pull a big crowd was proven wrong. I was sceptical about the latter simply because they were a different booking for the festival but I knew it was never a foregone conclusion either way.

Overall I'm glad it turned out that way as it's good when elitist whingers have to eat their words. Although I do hope Bloodstock don't go too far in that direction and continue to provide a healthy amount of bands to make it worthwhile for those of use who prefer the melodic side of things (although next year's announcement has left me far from convinced atm).

I would say that I hope this means that we will see an end to these ridiculous, over the top reactions from people squealing like pigs under a gate because there's 1 band playing they don't like, but sadly I doubt it. Of course, Bloodstock could do a better job of mitigating this by making better use of their second stage but that's another issue

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Size wise, I'd say Parkway's was pretty close to the middle of the pack for all the headline bands I've seen since I started attending in 2009.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Size wise, I'd say Parkway's was pretty close to the middle of the pack for all the headline bands I've seen since I started attending in 2009.

Who do you think had the largest crowd ever at boa?
I see the bad moon arising.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Apparently PWD sold more day tickets than anyone - which is fine but indicates there is a bit of a divide between them and weekend ticket buyers.

As for the biggest- Slayer or Priest
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:02 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:If u mean size, then Parkway got a big crowd and kept them and put on quite a show. The music isn't for me so after the first 5 or 6 songs, I went to look around some stalls and then came back for the last part of the set. Crowd was a similar size to Scorpions and as much as it pains me to say it, was probably slightly bigger than Sabaton's but not by much.

If u mean atmosphere and behaviour then it was fine from what I saw. Yes, the Parkway day-trippers were obvious but nobody caused any trouble from.what I could tell.

Seems like all the fuss about 'knuckle-draggers' was for nothing. And anyone who doubted whether they could pull a big crowd was proven wrong. I was sceptical about the latter simply because they were a different booking for the festival but I knew it was never a foregone conclusion either way.

Overall I'm glad it turned out that way as it's good when elitist whingers have to eat their words. Although I do hope Bloodstock don't go too far in that direction and continue to provide a healthy amount of bands to make it worthwhile for those of use who prefer the melodic side of things (although next year's announcement has left me far from convinced atm).

I would say that I hope this means that we will see an end to these ridiculous, over the top reactions from people squealing like pigs under a gate because there's 1 band playing they don't like, but sadly I doubt it. Of course, Bloodstock could do a better job of mitigating this by making better use of their second stage but that's another issue
Just size, they seemed well behaved from the PD fans I was in the middle of for Anthrax, it was more a comment that they stood out so much.

I can't say I'm pleased they went down well on a selfish level, what with who booked them, their music taste and what that could mean for future bookings. I actually have a soft spot for stuff like Hatebread and Malevolence but PD are to bland for my taste.

Interesting about them selling a lot of day tickets, do we know overall attendance this year yet?