Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Next Announcement

Postby kanet666 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Parkway's show was magnificent. Great use of lighting and general pyro, and the sound was really good for them. Admittedly, if you don't like their style of music, then you may struggle, but that was definitely a headliner worthy show from a talented band.

We had about 10 people in our group, most of which knew little about them and/or don't listen to metalcore or contemporary heavy metal - literally every single one picked them as the band of the weekend.

Yeah, Parkway's show was fine. Not to my tastes musically but I thought their set was better than Scorpions (and this is coming from someone who really likes Scorpions). Interesting to see them use the entire stage for pyro as well, I don't think I recall anyone doing that before.

As for Devin/Behemoth - I could see Devin being a headliner, it'll have been 9 years since his last appearance and he's only got bigger here in the UK since his last SG slot. Behemoth would be less likely being as they were SG not so long back.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Tankplanker wrote:How were the crowds for Parkway compared to Sabatron and Scorps? I left the arena after Anthrax, didn't come back till Taake was on. You could spot those who had come to see Parkway a mile off.

If u mean size, then Parkway got a big crowd and kept them and put on quite a show. The music isn't for me so after the first 5 or 6 songs, I went to look around some stalls and then came back for the last part of the set. Crowd was a similar size to Scorpions and as much as it pains me to say it, was probably slightly bigger than Sabaton's but not by much.

If u mean atmosphere and behaviour then it was fine from what I saw. Yes, the Parkway day-trippers were obvious but nobody caused any trouble from.what I could tell.

Seems like all the fuss about 'knuckle-draggers' was for nothing. And anyone who doubted whether they could pull a big crowd was proven wrong. I was sceptical about the latter simply because they were a different booking for the festival but I knew it was never a foregone conclusion either way.

Overall I'm glad it turned out that way as it's good when elitist whingers have to eat their words. Although I do hope Bloodstock don't go too far in that direction and continue to provide a healthy amount of bands to make it worthwhile for those of use who prefer the melodic side of things (although next year's announcement has left me far from convinced atm).

I would say that I hope this means that we will see an end to these ridiculous, over the top reactions from people squealing like pigs under a gate because there's 1 band playing they don't like, but sadly I doubt it. Of course, Bloodstock could do a better job of mitigating this by making better use of their second stage but that's another issue

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Size wise, I'd say Parkway's was pretty close to the middle of the pack for all the headline bands I've seen since I started attending in 2009.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Size wise, I'd say Parkway's was pretty close to the middle of the pack for all the headline bands I've seen since I started attending in 2009.

Who do you think had the largest crowd ever at boa?
I see the bad moon arising.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Apparently PWD sold more day tickets than anyone - which is fine but indicates there is a bit of a divide between them and weekend ticket buyers.

As for the biggest- Slayer or Priest
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:02 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:If u mean size, then Parkway got a big crowd and kept them and put on quite a show. The music isn't for me so after the first 5 or 6 songs, I went to look around some stalls and then came back for the last part of the set. Crowd was a similar size to Scorpions and as much as it pains me to say it, was probably slightly bigger than Sabaton's but not by much.

If u mean atmosphere and behaviour then it was fine from what I saw. Yes, the Parkway day-trippers were obvious but nobody caused any trouble from.what I could tell.

Seems like all the fuss about 'knuckle-draggers' was for nothing. And anyone who doubted whether they could pull a big crowd was proven wrong. I was sceptical about the latter simply because they were a different booking for the festival but I knew it was never a foregone conclusion either way.

Overall I'm glad it turned out that way as it's good when elitist whingers have to eat their words. Although I do hope Bloodstock don't go too far in that direction and continue to provide a healthy amount of bands to make it worthwhile for those of use who prefer the melodic side of things (although next year's announcement has left me far from convinced atm).

I would say that I hope this means that we will see an end to these ridiculous, over the top reactions from people squealing like pigs under a gate because there's 1 band playing they don't like, but sadly I doubt it. Of course, Bloodstock could do a better job of mitigating this by making better use of their second stage but that's another issue
Just size, they seemed well behaved from the PD fans I was in the middle of for Anthrax, it was more a comment that they stood out so much.

I can't say I'm pleased they went down well on a selfish level, what with who booked them, their music taste and what that could mean for future bookings. I actually have a soft spot for stuff like Hatebread and Malevolence but PD are to bland for my taste.

Interesting about them selling a lot of day tickets, do we know overall attendance this year yet?

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:08 pm

If Devin plays, he headlines no question. As has been previously said he’s bigger than ever. Add to that that next year’s (not this year’s) tour he will be playing Strapping Young Lad songs for the first time in nearly 15 years and he’s a definite headliner.

Behemoth? If they had an orchestra that would be a special enough show to put them back to being a headliner (remember they have already headlined once)

Not saying either will headline next year, but if they play they will headline

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Dunno about overall attendance, but weekend camper numbers looked to be down this year. None of the campsites were full, and that's with one less field vs. last year.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:18 pm

On the subject of Devin & Behemoth, if they are both playing I can see Devin headlining (particularly if he's playing SYL songs) on the Saturday with Behemoth as special guests.

Now that is partly wishful thinking on my part as if they have to be on the lineup, I'd rather this be the scenario so we could go back to the hotel before both bands and get an early night :lol:

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Parkway were really good, but their crowd didn't seem particularly big - there was loads of space around me, and I wasn't really far back. Sabaton's was bigger. It wasn't particularly small either though.

I think Devin and Behemoth could both headline, but not in the same year. I think next year we'll see Devin, and maybe the year after Behemoth back again.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Is it true that Skindred are sub-headlining next year?

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Line-up page has them below Vio-lence, but it also has BDM below Sacred Reich which doesn't seem right at least to me.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:13 am

I could see Skindred being a Special Guest. IIRC they were 3rd down last time and drew one of the single largest crowds I've ever seen at the festival. They'll headline in a few years for sure.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:14 am

someone else wrote:Apparently PWD sold more day tickets than anyone - which is fine but indicates there is a bit of a divide between them and weekend ticket buyers.

As for the biggest- Slayer or Priest

Makes a lot of sense (the divide) - I went back to my tent for a pre-Taake nap during Parkway's slot, and the site was packed - groups in their camps, people just wandering about, at the food van / bar. Plenty of people wandering around back to their cars / getting jobs done like that.

Handy slot if you need to chill / sort out some admin before the Sophie headliner, I suppose ?

Also - the crowd for Priest was colossal - I ended up going over the barrier, and it was all the way back to the awnings on the food stands.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Yeah, Vicky claiming that Parkway had the biggest crowd they've ever had at Bloodstock - no way that was the case, that's bullshit. I don't think she realises that a lot of the reaction to the Parkway booking in the first place was because of her own social media posts and her attempts at stoking the fire.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!