Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Powerslave » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:03 am

Haldamir319 wrote:
Powerslave wrote:Why are Accept being touted as headliners too? They were, what, third or fourth down in 2013 and they haven't gotten any bigger since then.

They subbed King Diamond in 2013.

Turns out my memory isn't what it was :lol:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:08 am

Jay1993 wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:There's been a few posts from Bloodstock recently asking who people would like as next years headliners so looks like nothing is set in stone yet!

Isn't it usual for fests to book acts like headliners over a year in advance? In which case it's pointless asking since you'd assume they'd already have them locked in by now.

That's what I thought, hence I'm getting the impression that they haven't got any headliners locked in for next year yet, although I imagine they have got bands booked for other slots already.

They probably do have headliners booked in, I'm more leaning on the cynical side of getting people talking to drum up interest as opposed to genuinely canvassing opinion.

Skippy wrote:Why do people seem to think Behemoth are going to be knocked back up to headliners? They weren't last time, and they haven't done anything lately to see them move up have they?

Considering Cannibal Corpse and At the Gates both subbed this year then I can see Behemoth being bumped up to small headliner. If the new album is as big as The Satanist then I can see them bumped back. Not saying I'm for or against it but could see this being in the realm of possibilities.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Could the big 'non-band' related announcement (that never happened) have thrown the cards in the air regarding headliners?
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Powerslave wrote:Why are Accept being touted as headliners too? They were, what, third or fourth down in 2013 and they haven't gotten any bigger since then.

They were second on the bill last time. Also, they're the same size as Gojira and Amon Amarth in the UK (in that they play the same venues and draw the same size crowds). If those two are big enough to headline, then Accept certainly are.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:45 pm

Tet wrote:

They were second on the bill last time. Also, they're the same size as Gojira and Amon Amarth in the UK (in that they play the same venues and draw the same size crowds). If those two are big enough to headline, then Accept certainly are.

not to mention that they are a bloody fantastic live act !

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Tet wrote:They were second on the bill last time. Also, they're the same size as Gojira and Amon Amarth in the UK (in that they play the same venues and draw the same size crowds). If those two are big enough to headline, then Accept certainly are.

Accept played the Koko in London earlier this year which I think is 1,400 capacity. Gojira's last London show was the Forum last year which I think has 2,300 capacity. Amon Amarth sold out the Roundhouse in 2016 which has a capacity greater than 3,000. I don't think Accept are as big as the other two.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:53 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
Tet wrote:They were second on the bill last time. Also, they're the same size as Gojira and Amon Amarth in the UK (in that they play the same venues and draw the same size crowds). If those two are big enough to headline, then Accept certainly are.

Accept played the Koko in London earlier this year which I think is 1,400 capacity. Gojira's last London show was the Forum last year which I think has 2,300 capacity. Amon Amarth sold out the Roundhouse in 2016 which has a capacity greater than 3,000. I don't think Accept are as big as the other two.

I love Accept but I wouldn't say they're as big as Gojira and Amon Amarth in the UK (mainland Europe is a different story however). Particularly when you consider that when Accept come over to the UK, it's usually one show in London and the other two usually play multiple dates.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:30 pm

Accept are a SG slot at very best, probably 3rd top imo.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Tet wrote:

Gojira and AA are bands on the up whereas Accept are fairly static in where they are size wise. That and Gojira and AA sold out those shows (while being part of larger tours) and Accept didn't sell out the stand alone date.

Definitely take them on the bill though, great band

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:31 am

Black Wizard wrote:Accept played the Koko in London earlier this year which I think is 1,400 capacity. Gojira's last London show was the Forum last year which I think has 2,300 capacity. Amon Amarth sold out the Roundhouse in 2016 which has a capacity greater than 3,000. I don't think Accept are as big as the other two.

Accept's last two headline shows in London have been at The Forum and Koko. The latter was sold out. I can't remember if the Forum show was or not, but it was pretty well attended. OK, so maybe Amon Amarth are slightly bigger these days. There are slight variations, but all three bands are more or less at the same level. Are Accept big enough to headline? I'd say probably not quite. But then I'd say the same of the other two as well.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:29 am

If Accept toured the country they'd be playing to pretty small crowds in a lot of places. They may sell well in a one off date in London but that's pretty much the extent of their pulling power. There's no way they'd sell out the 500 capacity venue in Plymouth that the likes of Amon Amarth and Alestorm have (Amon Amarth could have sold it twice over apparently).

Interestingly, UDO has just been announced for the Giants of Rock Festival at Butlins next January. When this was mentioned in the Facebook group, which is full of old farts brought up on 70s and 80s rock and metal, hardly anyone knew who he was...and mention of Accept drew similar bemusement. They've never been the draw in the UK that they are elsewhere.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Tet wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:Accept played the Koko in London earlier this year which I think is 1,400 capacity. Gojira's last London show was the Forum last year which I think has 2,300 capacity. Amon Amarth sold out the Roundhouse in 2016 which has a capacity greater than 3,000. I don't think Accept are as big as the other two.

Accept's last two headline shows in London have been at The Forum and Koko. The latter was sold out. I can't remember if the Forum show was or not, but it was pretty well attended. OK, so maybe Amon Amarth are slightly bigger these days. There are slight variations, but all three bands are more or less at the same level. Are Accept big enough to headline? I'd say probably not quite. But then I'd say the same of the other two as well.

Forum show didn't sell out as one of the mates i went with got his ticket on the door and was fairly spacious inside (well attended like you say, probably like 80% tickets sold).

But as pointed out by Tet, if they've gone down from the Forum to Koko then thats a sign that they're getting less of a draw anyway

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:28 pm

Tet wrote:Accept's last two headline shows in London have been at The Forum and Koko.

And thats the issue - its been their only healdine shows! If they were as big as AA etc theyd be playing multiple dates, not having one show propped up by people travelling - AA can play in the 2.5k Academy up here, so can Gojira. If BLS and Opeth can't headline, no way Accept could (as much as I want them too!)
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:27 am

someone else wrote:
Tet wrote:Accept's last two headline shows in London have been at The Forum and Koko.

And thats the issue - its been their only healdine shows! If they were as big as AA etc theyd be playing multiple dates, not having one show propped up by people travelling - AA can play in the 2.5k Academy up here, so can Gojira. If BLS and Opeth can't headline, no way Accept could (as much as I want them too!)

The problem is Opeth have headlined. And it was boring. So, so boring.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:54 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
someone else wrote:

The problem is Opeth have headlined. And it was boring. So, so boring.

In your opinion. I'd be more than happy for them to deadline again (though they are probs a sub-level band these days).