August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:19 am

Haldamir319 wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:
someone else wrote:
And thats the issue - its been their only healdine shows! If they were as big as AA etc theyd be playing multiple dates, not having one show propped up by people travelling - AA can play in the 2.5k Academy up here, so can Gojira. If BLS and Opeth can't headline, no way Accept could (as much as I want them too!)

The problem is Opeth have headlined. And it was boring. So, so boring.

In your opinion. I'd be more than happy for them to deadline again (though they are probs a sub-level band these days).

It's an online forum and the statement is attached to my username - of course it's my opinion. I would've thought that much was obvious.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:32 pm

I don't think we can take anyone's viewpoint about "boring" bands seriously when they post this in the Last Tickets Bought thread.

bloodofthekings wrote:Just booked for Hed PE in Leeds and Skid Row in Sheffield
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think we can take anyone's viewpoint about "boring" bands seriously when they post this in the Last Tickets Bought thread.

bloodofthekings wrote:Just booked for Hed PE in Leeds and Skid Row in Sheffield

I'm flattered that you're following me all over the forum :lol:

As for HED PE, that's purely for nostalgia and the fact that it was in Leeds - I wouldn't travel out of my hometown for it but if they play in Leeds on a convenient night then I'll go. We obviously grew up in different eras - like many folk my age (early - mid 30s) I'm a child of nu-metal which I'll freely admit and a bit of nostalgia for that is nice from time to time. Of course I could just be a grumpy old git like you but to each his own and all that.

As for Skid Row, that's based on how good they were at HRH AOR earlier this year. Johnny Solinger was ok but if he was still in the band I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to see them again. ZP however completely blew me away and they were excellent - far better than when I've seen Seb Bach in recent years which I can only liken to watching a squealing pig with a blonde wig on.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:The problem is Opeth have headlined. And it was boring. So, so boring.

In your opinion. I'd be more than happy for them to deadline again (though they are probs a sub-level band these days).

I'd say Opeth are a bigger band than Gojira. As for their live shows, I enjoy them but I can see why someone who doesn't like the band wouldn't. They don't give the sort of performances that would win over a naysayer.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Soze wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:The problem is Opeth have headlined. And it was boring. So, so boring.

I'd say Opeth are a bigger band than Gojira. As for their live shows, I enjoy them but I can see why someone who doesn't like the band wouldn't. They don't give the sort of performances that would win over a naysayer.

I think they used to be bigger - moving away from the heavier/growly vocals seemed to rub people the wrong way - up here, on the Ghost Reveries your they were filling a venue nearly twice the size of the places they were in on the back if the proggier stuff
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:38 pm

I say this a fan of Opeth but I'd rather see them as a sub rather than headliner; with their prog heavy set it'd be an anticlimactic way to end a day.

Saying that, if BOA can convince them to do an album in full set of say Blackwater Park, well that would be swell :D

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:57 am

I wouldn't mind Opeth as Sunday night headliners, would be a good way to wind down the festival. Although Opeth have said that the next album was going to be a good deal heavier than the last one, if they actually deliver that then they might be a bit more in your face than people are expecting?

apocalypsedude
Definitely Not Nu

Postby apocalypsedude » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:31 am

Opeth went from headlining twice to being sub-headliners below Within Temptation, if I recall correctly.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 am

Meshuggah headlining ArcTanGent next year so I guess that makes them more likely for BOA too!

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:31 am

Although I like Opeth's recorded stuff (even the progier albums) I find their live shows to be a damn good cure for insomnia so I'd rather not have them as headliners, SG would be fine since there is plenty of other things to do at that time.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:38 am

apocalypsedude wrote:Opeth went from headlining twice to being sub-headliners below Within Temptation, if I recall correctly.

The festival has grown massively since then. Opeth are my favourite band, and I wouldn't put them in a headline slot these days, as much as I'd want the extra 30 mins.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:48 am

Jay1993 wrote:Meshuggah headlining ArcTanGent next year so I guess that makes them more likely for BOA too!

Nope, UK Exclusive at ArcTanGent

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:13 pm

cheesemason wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:Meshuggah headlining ArcTanGent next year so I guess that makes them more likely for BOA too!

Nope, UK Exclusive at ArcTanGent

Phew!
I see the bad moon arising.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:47 pm

Opeth were playing O2 venues on their last tour, I saw them in Bristol and it was sold out, that's somewhere around 2-2,500 capacity. That was on the back on an album which reached no. 11 in the UK charts. I certainly wouldn't say they're getting smaller, quite the opposite.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 pm

someone else wrote:I think they used to be bigger - moving away from the heavier/growly vocals seemed to rub people the wrong way - up here, on the Ghost Reveries your they were filling a venue nearly twice the size of the places they were in on the back if the proggier stuff

According to the info I've googled they were playing venues pretty much the same size. In 2006 they played the Manchester Academy 1, with a capacity of 1,500, which is the same capacity as the venue they played last year, The Ritz.