Next Announcement

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:01 am

i0th wrote:I do so like the identity crisis the forum has gone through every year since Europe headlined in 2009. We've survived Lamb of God, Trivium & Down headlining, Parkway will be fine.

At least those bands had a strong undercard to bolster the day, so far apart from Anthrax, PD will have the double whammy of being unpopular and having a crap lead up into them

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:17 am

bloodofthekings wrote:I'm not keen on Parkway Drive either but I fail to see how a band that is that high up the bill on the Wacken line-up can be considered "not metal enough" for Bloodstock :?

Or is Wacken not considered a metal festival anymore?

They're not a metal band is the thing - Think about Eminem headlining at Reading - it didn't turn him into a rock band because they booked him.

Totally appreciate that booking these emocore bands shifts tickets, and the organisers want the volume that comes with booking bands like that.

BOA wants to compete directly with Download maybe ?
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:26 am

Methuen wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:I'm not keen on Parkway Drive either but I fail to see how a band that is that high up the bill on the Wacken line-up can be considered "not metal enough" for Bloodstock :?

They're not a metal band is the thing - Think about Eminem headlining at Reading - it didn't turn him into a rock band because they booked him.

Totally appreciate that booking these emocore bands shifts tickets, and the organisers want the volume that comes with booking bands like that.

So at the risk of opening up a shitstorm, if they're not a metal band, what are they then?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:11 am

houston4044 wrote:
i0th wrote:I do so like the identity crisis the forum has gone through every year since Europe headlined in 2009. We've survived Lamb of God, Trivium & Down headlining, Parkway will be fine.

At least those bands had a strong undercard to bolster the day, so far apart from Anthrax, PD will have the double whammy of being unpopular and having a crap lead up into them

Machine Head, Lamb Of God and Down were not massive stretches in terms of headliners, as they all had a reasonably large crossover with the BOA crowd.

Trivium was the big stretch and apparently they got a tiny crowd (I didn't go that year cos the line up looked wank), so that tells you that there's some room for branching out with the headliners, but it's not unlimited. I've not even heard a single song by Parkway Drive, and I imagine I'm not alone in that, so I think it's more than likely than PD will turn into a similar Trivium style headliner balls up.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:59 am

Trivium were rank rotten in 2015 and did a good job emptying the field.

I fear PD may do the same and following Anthrax won't be easy if they are anything as good as they were in 2016.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Have never understood the trivium hate. Aside from The Crusade and Dusk Dismantled every album has been great and made complete sense for them to headline. Parkway Drive most certainly are also a metal band, and deposited me not being into them it makes sense for them to headline. They're massive world over ATM and it's a good boost for the fest. In recent years BOA seems to have been putting bands that have never headlined in UK before as headliners (Mastodon, Gojira, Sabaton,) just nice to have some variety tbh instead of Megadeth, again.

Plus who knows, you go see em you may even enjoy it.
Imagine tbat

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:14 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Methuen wrote:

So at the risk of opening up a shitstorm, if they're not a metal band, what are they then?

They're a metalcore band, which as far as I'm aware is hardcore watered down with the odd riff and some lyrics that aren't about veganism / the current US president. I think ?
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Methuen wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:
Methuen wrote:

They're a metalcore band, which as far as I'm aware is hardcore watered down with the odd riff and some lyrics that aren't about veganism / the current US president. I think ?

Their last two albums (which accounts for roughly 3/4 of their current set) are much more heavy metal than metalcore.

Bagpuss66
Lowly Peon

Postby Bagpuss66 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:34 pm

I've given Parkway Drives last album a listen and watched the You tube footage of their set at Download 2018. They are ok, but I'll probably watch them for a bit. I wasn't a fan of Nightwish but I actually enjoyed their set last year.
But that's the part I enjoy about BOA, you may enjoy a band you didn't expect to.
And as other people have pointed out there are plenty of bands to watch. I know a lot of people that didn't watch Gojira last year.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Bagpuss66 wrote:I've given Parkway Drives last album a listen and watched the You tube footage of their set at Download 2018. They are ok, but I'll probably watch them for a bit. I wasn't a fan of Nightwish but I actually enjoyed their set last year.
But that's the part I enjoy about BOA, you may enjoy a band you didn't expect to.
And as other people have pointed out there are plenty of bands to watch. I know a lot of people that didn't watch Gojira last year.

Yeah I'm the same. Really couldn't care less about Parkway Drive until they start being rumoured for Bloodstock and then was pleasantly surprised by their new album. Genuinely enjoyed a few tracks on it. They'd be nowhere near my first choice for headliner but will certainly give them a chance live.

Vicky tweeted earlier about choosing the track for the final headliner announcment video so I guess we'll be getting the official PD announcement next week

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:58 pm

False Metal :yes:

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Parkway Drive sound OK to me, definitely metal. If people don't like them they can move on, plenty of bands etc
The line up is so good this year

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:58 am

Baldy77 wrote:Parkway Drive sound OK to me, definitely metal. If people don't like them they can move on, plenty of bands etc
The line up is so good this year
If they were anything other than a main stage headliner I'd agree, however with Bloodstock shutting down the other stages when the main stage headliner performs you don't actually get a choice of acts to see at that time. Its either go drinking for 2 hours (at festival prices) or go to bed/the campsite early. I don't mind this so much on a Sunday as it means I can go home early but on the Saturday its not good.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:00 am

Can they just announce PD so we can move onto further announcements that might have something interesting in them

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 pm

houston4044 wrote:Can they just announce PD so we can move onto further announcements that might have something interesting in them

Their UK tour is next week, so 1-2 weeks after that I reckon.