BLOODSTOCK announce six bands as an early Halloween treat!

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: BLOODSTOCK announce six bands as an early Halloween treat!

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 am

Black Wizard wrote:
Czech's Mate wrote:Wow, Gandalf in positive mode shocker!

:lol:
I'm sure it won't last long.

Gandalf the Red wrote:no Download crap makes me happy.

Which bands from previous Bloodstock line-ups do you consider to be "Download crap"?

Probably all the shite that you like....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:53 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:

I see the bad moon arising.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:58 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:no Download crap makes me happy.

Which bands from previous Bloodstock line-ups do you consider to be "Download crap"?

Oh good lord don't open that box. I imagine the answer you'll get is bands like Machine Head, Trivium, Devil Driver, Fozzy, etc.

Of course the whole argument of what constitutes a 'Download band' and what constitutes a 'Bloodstock band' is a pointless one anyway, not just because Bloodstock have diversified their booking policy in the last 10 years but so have Download. There have been plenty of 'Bloodstock bands' that have played Download over the years (Sabaton, Turisas, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Kreator, Opeth, etc.) so the whole argument is stupid anyway.

As someone who attended several of the Bloodstock indoor festivals way back when, I have just as much (if not more) of a gripe with bands like Immortal, Nile, Mayhem, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, etc. ('Damnation crap' ;) ) taking up slots on the Bloodstock line-up these days as I do with the aforementioned 'Download bands'.

Like there wasn't Death and Black Metal bands on the first Bloodstock.... :rolleyes:

Learn your history. Bloodstock was NEVER a Power Metal festival. In fact there was only one PM band on the first one, being Primal Fear. There was far more what you are describing as "Damnation bands" playing.

Sabbat, Skyclad, Orange Goblin, Underule, Evoke, Consumed, Occupational Hazard, Bloodstream, Freebase.

The rest was traditional Metal and Rock Bands.

Attended the early ones? I'm calling bullshit.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Ghost wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:

Yeah. These two have been pissing me off recently. I was trying not to bite, but I was getting a bit fed up with inane comments. I posted something which they had no reason to reply to. But they tried trolling me. You can write on a postage stamp the entire knowledge of Heavy Metal of these two combined.

I also find it strange that one posts and the other posts soon after. Bizarre.

And I was asked to post more by the people who run the place. So... :lol:

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:

Oh good lord don't open that box. I imagine the answer you'll get is bands like Machine Head, Trivium, Devil Driver, Fozzy, etc.

Of course the whole argument of what constitutes a 'Download band' and what constitutes a 'Bloodstock band' is a pointless one anyway, not just because Bloodstock have diversified their booking policy in the last 10 years but so have Download. There have been plenty of 'Bloodstock bands' that have played Download over the years (Sabaton, Turisas, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Kreator, Opeth, etc.) so the whole argument is stupid anyway.

As someone who attended several of the Bloodstock indoor festivals way back when, I have just as much (if not more) of a gripe with bands like Immortal, Nile, Mayhem, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, etc. ('Damnation crap' ;) ) taking up slots on the Bloodstock line-up these days as I do with the aforementioned 'Download bands'.

Like there wasn't Death and Black Metal bands on the first Bloodstock.... :rolleyes:

Learn your history. Bloodstock was NEVER a Power Metal festival. In fact there was only one PM band on the first one, being Primal Fear. There was far more what you are describing as "Damnation bands" playing.

Sabbat, Skyclad, Orange Goblin, Underule, Evoke, Consumed, Occupational Hazard, Bloodstream, Freebase.

Firstly, I never said it was a solely power metal festival, but it was far more concerned with melodic bands than black/death metal bands like the ones I previously mentioned. Sure, there was the odd one on the smaller stage but I'm not talking about small second-stage bands that aren't even around any more and faded away without anyone noticing - I'm talking about the main stage and the upper end of the second stage. I maintain that you would have never have seen the likes of Nile, Mayhem, Immortal, Cannibal Corpse and Obituary on those early indoor line-ups.

Secondly, I attended the indoor festivals in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 as well as the first two outdoor festivals, so you can shove your 'bullshit' claim.

As for the line-ups of the indoor festivals, let's have a look at the main bands shall we? (again, I'm not gonna bother with the small bands at the bottom of the second stage - they aren't the ones selling tickets)

2001 - Saxon, Glenn Hughes, Blaze, Skyclad, Primal Fear, Orange Goblin, Return to the Sabbat

2002 - Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Diamond Head, Threshold, Balance of Power, Freedom Call, Return to the Sabbat, Elvenking, Bal-Sagoth, Primordial

2003 - Saxon, Blaze, Power Quest, Nightwish, Paradise Lost, Edguy, Masterplan, Saracen, Dragonforce, Biomechanical, Waylander

2004 - Gamma Ray, Threshold, Sinergy, Children of Bodom, Sonata Arctica, Primal Fear, Balance of Power, Evergrey, Edenbridge, Fourway Kill, Cruachan

2005 - Hammerfall, Stormwarrior, Metalium, Conquest of Steel, Warchild, Within Temptation, Amon Amarth, After Forever, Bob Catley, Raven, Iron Savior, Cathedral

2006 - Primal Fear, Axel Rudi Pell, Majesty, Savage Circus, Marshall Law, My Dying Bride, Deathstars, Onslaught, Brainstorm, Ominium, Gatherum

Hardly looks like a Damnation line-up does it? In fact, of all of those bands, I can pick out about 5 or 6 that have actually played Damnation in the past and even they are the more melodic end of what Damnation books.

When you compare those early indoor line-ups to what we have now, the irony is that we would probably both agree at how much Bloodstock line-ups have changed since then. My point is that the introduction of black/death/extreme bands has been responsible for as much of that change as what you would call 'Download bands'

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Probably all the shite that you like....

Not really. I don't have any interest in most of the bands who play at Download. It was a serious question.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:12 pm

I'm absolutely overjoyed with the Hypocrisy announcement!

I won't be watching Cradle of Filth but I'm glad they'll be back for the fans who had their set ruined by the dickheads lobbing missiles last time. I'd really like Showsec to step up and remove anyone the guy on the side of the stage spots throwing anything towards the band from the arena.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Anyone who throws stuff at a band deserves their plums parted via someone's boot.

Over the years there have been a few bands I have detested (King810 I'm looking at you) but I just wandered off to another stage or went to the VIP bar.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

eyesore
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby eyesore » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 pm

CoF's return to Bloodstock sounds awesome! As is always the case with me it is all down to the bands' setlists. And the rule of the thumb is I prefer earlier stuff whatever the band.
For example when Vempire and Dusk... came out I couldn't get enough of them and CoF were absolutely and deservedly on top back then. So if they include a fair number - I am going to say 3 would suffice - from those 2 albums in their setlist I'll be well pleased.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:

Can we please not open this can of worms again....I went to the indoor festivals, and it was clearly a melodic metal/power metal fest, with a small spattering of more extreme bands. In the same way Damnation is an extreme metal festival, but just cos it has the odd ambient/melodic band, doesn't means it's not an extreme metal festival.

The main stage at the first indoor was Saxon, Glenn Hughes, Blaze, Skyclad, Primal Fear, Dirty Deeds, Area 54 and Shadowkeep which is as melodic as you can get. All the bands you listed (except Skyclad) played on the second stage, so you're clutching at straws there. Typical bands at the indoor were Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Edguy, Saxon, Brainstorm, Freedom Call etc....i.e. quintessential power metal. When the likes of My Dying Bride, Deathstars etc got booked, they didn't go down particularly well with the core audience.

There was clearly a big change in the type of bands booked when Vince sold the rights and it became a 3 day outdoor in 07.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am

So do we think Bodom will get the CC/ATG treatment from this year and be bumped up to subheadliner? Would Cradle still be a sub? (I have no idea how big they're and the fest has grown since they last played).

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 am

eyesore wrote:CoF's return to Bloodstock sounds awesome! As is always the case with me it is all down to the bands' setlists. And the rule of the thumb is I prefer earlier stuff whatever the band.
For example when Vempire and Dusk... came out I couldn't get enough of them and CoF were absolutely and deservedly on top back then. So if they include a fair number - I am going to say 3 would suffice - from those 2 albums in their setlist I'll be well pleased.

The last couple of Cradle albums have been superb, definitely worth checking out. They're re-releasing a remastered version of Cruelty soon, quite possible the set will be heavy on that album? They almost always play a couple of tracks from the Principle-Vempire-Dusk era, last time I saw them they played Queen, Of Winter Throned and Dusk...and Her Embrace. The Forest Whispers My Name used to be a regular encore number but seems to have gone out of favour lately :(

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:33 am

Soze wrote:
The last couple of Cradle albums have been superb, definitely worth checking out. They're re-releasing a remastered version of Cruelty soon, quite possible the set will be heavy on that album? They almost always play a couple of tracks from the Principle-Vempire-Dusk era, last time I saw them they played Queen, Of Winter Throned and Dusk...and Her Embrace. The Forest Whispers My Name used to be a regular encore number but seems to have gone out of favour lately :(

On their recent tour they played Bathory Aria (the full thing), Beneath The Howling Stars and Dusk And Her Embrace, which was pretty sweet, as well as some new stuff.

They've really been on form in the last few tours imo, after some pretty average performances a few years ago, and they completely smashed it in London in November.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 pm

houston4044 wrote:So do we think Bodom will get the CC/ATG treatment from this year and be bumped up to subheadliner? Would Cradle still be a sub? (I have no idea how big they're and the fest has grown since they last played).

Neither COB or COF were announced as special guests so I'm guessing (and kinda hoping) not. COB played fourth down in 2014 so I reckon they might get bumped up to third.

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Very very happy with the line up so far, I’m in!!!