Metal 2 the Masses 2019

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Re: Metal 2 the Masses 2019

Postby Blake_Porter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Does anyone remember a band from the (I think) Sheffield heats a few years ago that were like The Misfits? I'm trying to remember their names but I cannot for the life of me.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:24 pm

kurrupo wrote:If I remember correctly, they were drafted in as a last minute replacement of another band who pulled out, so maybe that's why they weren't great. Can't comment on them in general though as I've never seen them. Like Gandalf I was watching Gymir instead!

Pythia ISTR. I think the singer had lost her voice.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
kurrupo wrote:If I remember correctly, they were drafted in as a last minute replacement of another band who pulled out, so maybe that's why they weren't great. Can't comment on them in general though as I've never seen them. Like Gandalf I was watching Gymir instead!

Pythia ISTR. I think the singer had lost her voice.

Doesn't she have some serious back problem as well?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:47 pm

No idea to be honest.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:Does anyone remember a band from the (I think) Sheffield heats a few years ago that were like The Misfits? I'm trying to remember their names but I cannot for the life of me.

Gorgeous Morgue?

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:Does anyone remember a band from the (I think) Sheffield heats a few years ago that were like The Misfits? I'm trying to remember their names but I cannot for the life of me.

Gorgeous Morgue?

YES! That's the one, thanks a lot!

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 am

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Having just checked a video on YouTube, I think Soul Shredder have potential, but her voice has a way to go. But maybe it was an older video, if you're saying she's improved.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:34 am

Tet wrote:Having just checked a video on YouTube, I think Soul Shredder have potential, but her voice has a way to go. But maybe it was an older video, if you're saying she's improved.

What was the video? :)

Here's my thoughts on Heat 4, which took place on Valentine's Day: https://garethjhunt.wordpress.com/2019/ ... -1-heat-4/

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:19 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:What was the video? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG87pJ-cC9k
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:27 am

Tet wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:What was the video? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG87pJ-cC9k

Ah yes, from last year. Their performance the other week (sound mix issues aside) was certainly superior to the video. They do have a demo on Spotify, but it's with their previous singer. I spoke to Stu (guitar on the left in that video) and he said they should have a single out with Marina on vocals this year.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:53 am

Heat 1 in Manchester was last night. I was a little worried with them doing Sundays this year that turnout wouldn't be great, but it was pretty busy. I think the decision to start early and be done by 10 is probably a sensible one in that regard.

Portrail of Ruinn - Chug chug chug chug tremolo tremolo tremolo chug chug chug, repeat until thoroughly bored. Very pedestrian, nothing of interest for me here. Had a bafflingly good crowd response.

Frozen in Shadows - My favourite to win going in, put in a really solid performance. Not quite as good as the first time I saw them, a few duff notes here and there, and a couple of cases where the tempo seemed to get away from them a bit. But they have some good tunes and the technical ability on display is phenomenal, so that more than makes up for the little mistakes.

Scarlet Castles - Lovely bit of prog, great new discovery for me and easily my favourite band of the night. The guitarist and bassist share vocal duties and both have great voices, creating some really nice harmonies. I don't thing they're near heavy enough for the room though, most people disappeared back into the bar area and at times the sound of conversation was louder than the band. They don't stand a hope of going though, but they may still do quite well off this. There were a couple of people there who are worth impressing, and I know they were suitably impressed.

Clashmute - Seem to be quite good at what they do, it just happens what they do is something I really don't like too much. Get one of those pits where bellends windmill their arms around, but the fact it's there bodes depressingly well for them. I think they may have got the best reaction of the night too.

I'd put through Scarlet Castles (#1) and Frozen in Shadows (#2), the judges put through Clashmute (#2) and Frozen in Shadows (#1), which is what I expected to happen. Overall a very good night, I'm always happy when I come away from one of these with a new band discovery. Will have to miss the next one since I'm going to be at Wacken Winter Nights, but will make an effort to be at number 3.

Unfortunately there was a bit of unpleasantness from one of the losing band's camps (not sure if it was a member or a supporter, everything got deleted before I caught wind of it), claiming that the drummer from Frozen in Shadows was one of the judges, so the whole process was fixed for them to win. I believe they apologised in the end, but it's still crappy to see.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:14 pm

robin8585 wrote:Heat 1 in Manchester was last night. I was a little worried with them doing Sundays this year that turnout wouldn't be great, but it was pretty busy. I think the decision to start early and be done by 10 is probably a sensible one in that regard.

Portrail of Ruinn - Chug chug chug chug tremolo tremolo tremolo chug chug chug, repeat until thoroughly bored. Very pedestrian, nothing of interest for me here. Had a bafflingly good crowd response.

Frozen in Shadows - My favourite to win going in, put in a really solid performance. Not quite as good as the first time I saw them, a few duff notes here and there, and a couple of cases where the tempo seemed to get away from them a bit. But they have some good tunes and the technical ability on display is phenomenal, so that more than makes up for the little mistakes.

Scarlet Castles - Lovely bit of prog, great new discovery for me and easily my favourite band of the night. The guitarist and bassist share vocal duties and both have great voices, creating some really nice harmonies. I don't thing they're near heavy enough for the room though, most people disappeared back into the bar area and at times the sound of conversation was louder than the band. They don't stand a hope of going though, but they may still do quite well off this. There were a couple of people there who are worth impressing, and I know they were suitably impressed.

Clashmute - Seem to be quite good at what they do, it just happens what they do is something I really don't like too much. Get one of those pits where bellends windmill their arms around, but the fact it's there bodes depressingly well for them. I think they may have got the best reaction of the night too.

I'd put through Scarlet Castles (#1) and Frozen in Shadows (#2), the judges put through Clashmute (#2) and Frozen in Shadows (#1), which is what I expected to happen. Overall a very good night, I'm always happy when I come away from one of these with a new band discovery. Will have to miss the next one since I'm going to be at Wacken Winter Nights, but will make an effort to be at number 3.

Unfortunately there was a bit of unpleasantness from one of the losing band's camps (not sure if it was a member or a supporter, everything got deleted before I caught wind of it), claiming that the drummer from Frozen in Shadows was one of the judges, so the whole process was fixed for them to win. I believe they apologised in the end, but it's still crappy to see.

A shame about the unpleasantness.

Interestingly, Portryal of Ruinn withdrew from our comp to enter this one.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 am

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Really enjoy these updates, gives me hope I will have stuff to watch on the Saturday at BOA.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!