Metal 2 the Masses 2019

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Metal 2 the Masses 2019

Postby robin8585 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:57 pm

houston4044 wrote:
robin8585 wrote:Primordial Swarm describe themselves as "blackened slamming deathcore", and are just as awful as you'd expect. Naturally they win.

Had to look up a band with that odd a description, is it this lot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBX8miSyPOE
(yeah, don't sound great :lol: )

Yup, that's them.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:19 pm

houston4044 wrote:Had to look up a band with that odd a description, is it this lot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBX8miSyPOE
(yeah, don't sound great :lol: )

That video has parental warning for explicit lyrics. Really? How would anyone know?
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Our first Semi-Final is set: https://www.facebook.com/events/365303414209834/

Dominion of Ashes (Extreme)
Irontooth (Groove)
Neuri (Alternative/Experimental Rock)
Son of Boar (Stoner Doom)

We've got Progressive Death Metallers Luna's Call guest headlining too :)

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28 pm

Just back from Norwich MTM and what a cracking night it was. When the line-up for the first round of the competition was announced, I had a shortlist of 4 potential contenders in mind for the overall win. 3 of them were drawn in the same heat tonight. Here's a little summary of the evening's fun and games.....

First up, youthful post-hardcore mob Thieves who were tight, well-drilled and energetic. On any normal MTM night, they'd probably have gone through to the next round.

Second on were Obsessa who stuck out like a sore thumb. A bit of Alice In Chains droning here, a Metallica riff there, but little in the way of stage presence or crowd interaction.

Penultimate act were The Killing Culture. TKC are a difficult mob to pin down. Epic indie anthem? Its in there somewhere. Something-core screaming? You got it. Throw in a soupcon of fluid, thrash-speed widdly-widdly lead work and even a tiny pinch of slap bass and you've got a very promising act not afraid to follow their own path.

Last up were rightful winners, Bastard. What do you think a band call Bastard sound like? If you guessed old school hardcore, you my friend are a genius and win a prize. Tight as could be, with a frontman as confident as you'll see, Bastard not only got the first full-on moshpit of the competition, but already look like the best band I've seen from these parts in a while.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:57 am

phuqsticks wrote:Just back from Norwich MTM and what a cracking night it was. When the line-up for the first round of the competition was announced, I had a shortlist of 4 potential contenders in mind for the overall win. 3 of them were drawn in the same heat tonight. Here's a little summary of the evening's fun and games.....

First up, youthful post-hardcore mob Thieves who were tight, well-drilled and energetic. On any normal MTM night, they'd probably have gone through to the next round.

Second on were Obsessa who stuck out like a sore thumb. A bit of Alice In Chains droning here, a Metallica riff there, but little in the way of stage presence or crowd interaction.

Penultimate act were The Killing Culture. TKC are a difficult mob to pin down. Epic indie anthem? Its in there somewhere. Something-core screaming? You got it. Throw in a soupcon of fluid, thrash-speed widdly-widdly lead work and even a tiny pinch of slap bass and you've got a very promising act not afraid to follow their own path.

Last up were rightful winners, Bastard. What do you think a band call Bastard sound like? If you guessed old school hardcore, you my friend are a genius and win a prize. Tight as could be, with a frontman as confident as you'll see, Bastard not only got the first full-on moshpit of the competition, but already look like the best band I've seen from these parts in a while.

Sounds like a fun show. How many heats have you guys had so far?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Helgrind are doing the Milton Keynes leg the same night as Devin's acoustic show in London dammit, would of gone to support them; cracking band.

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:55 am

Haldamir319 wrote:
phuqsticks wrote:Just back from Norwich MTM and what a cracking night it was. When the line-up for the first round of the competition was announced, I had a shortlist of 4 potential contenders in mind for the overall win. 3 of them were drawn in the same heat tonight. Here's a little summary of the evening's fun and games.....

Sounds like a fun show. How many heats have you guys had so far?

3 legs so far. There are 2 more legs, then 3 semi finals and the final. This weeks leg should be at the mercy of one of my local favourites, Men Of Munga, a psychedelic doom band from Bury St Edmunds. Heat 5 looks pretty open.

A few days ago it was announced that Rats Packing Grenades (heavy stoner-ish metal) and Enenra (Death with some Djent leanings) were the runners up from the first 2 legs and are through to the next round.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:58 am

Was otherwise engaged for Manchester's Heat 5, but it was won by 40,000 Leagues with Psython as runners up. 40,000 Leagues are the only ones I've seen before, and I'm really pleased to see them advance seeing as how they got robbed blind by some nonsense last time they competed.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:39 am

robin8585 wrote:Was otherwise engaged for Manchester's Heat 5, but it was won by 40,000 Leagues with Psython as runners up. 40,000 Leagues are the only ones I've seen before, and I'm really pleased to see them advance seeing as how they got robbed blind by some nonsense last time they competed.

Yeah, I knew of this heat as I'm pals with some of the guys in Psython. They got to our final last year and are very good speed/thrash.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:16 pm

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:03 am

Brief thoughts on our first Semi-Final: https://garethjhunt.wordpress.com/2019/ ... i-final-1/

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:16 pm

My thoughts on Sheffield Semi-Final 2: https://garethjhunt.wordpress.com/2019/ ... i-final-2/

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:11 am

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:00 am

Djinova won the Coventry final.

Here's my thought on Sheff's Semi 5: https://garethjhunt.wordpress.com/2019/ ... i-final-5/

And here's a small preview I put together for our final: https://garethjhunt.wordpress.com/2019/ ... 019-final/

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Fri May 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Here's a quick run-down of last night's 3rd and final semi of Metal To The Masses East Anglia, held at The Brickmakers in Norwich.

First up were tech-death types Enenra. They were tight and proficient, but the vocalist, who was playing his first gig with the band, seemed to struggle a bit with the clean sung parts. Promising, but not quite there yet.

Listen to 'Bummer' from Monster Magnet's 'Powertrip' album and you'll know exactly what Rats Packing Grenades they sound like. I've seen them 6 times in the last year, partly because I know a couple of the band, and this was the tightest they've been to date, possibly because of the addition of a new drummer.

3rd on were first hardcore band of the night, Disjoint, who sounded very fuzzy. Not for me.

Final band were 2nd, and much better, hardcore act Bastard. Technically proficient, they've got the tunes, the best frontman in the competition and some fans who were determined to form a moshpit regardless of any tables, chair, or disapproving venue staff who might have got in their way.

To the universal approval of everyone present, Bastard were declared winners.